Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie from Good ol Bra'ford, west Yorkshire :) - Any locals here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Good ol Bra'ford, west Yorkshire :) - Any locals here?

Hi All,

This is my first post to introduce myself. I'm a fantastic snooker player and have a high break of about 18.
    I have just purchased a Riley Moderno Cue (it might be from the highstreet (all I can afford at the moment) but I'm well impressed so far) The shaft is lovely stiff ash (miles stiffer than the cue I had before) it has a good medium to hard tip and it is weighted just how I like it at a smidgen under 19oz.
    (I weighed my previous cue and it weighs 14.75oz ! I stuck 34pence (4.3 oz of copper in 2p's) onto the end of it just out of curiosity and it plays miles better than before! - Because of the poor previous cue I had to just play with club cues, what dark times they were :P )

Having said all that, I am always itching to get down the club and would like to be able to pop down 2-3 times a week but play for shorter periods of an hour to half n half. (to stop my posture and concentration drifting and spoiling my practice)

If there are any fellow Bradfordians here or people from nearby (I'm near Shipley) then please get in touch..
    High Break: Pre TFS (08-11) = 18
    In beautiful Yorkshire, fancy a game?

I am not local to you, but wanted to say welcome to TSF, you will find a mass of useful information, coaching, cues, etc. to help you enjoy and advance in the game that is our mistress, called snooker
    What was your previous cue? 14.75oz is an unusual weight.
    cheers
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks for that Dean from Berkshire

I am ashamed to mention the name but it was one that was purchased many moons ago 'Pot Black'. It is actually a machine spliced cue believe it or not which makes me think that perhaps the cue was meant to be something else but when they shaved too much off, it ended up with a Pot Black label??

It was labelled as 16oz (and bought at a time when I didn't know what weight I'm suited to)

Comment

surely it couldn't have shrunk!?

Comment

Originally Posted by abu-bakr View Post
          surely it couldn't have shrunk!?

nope, not heard of that happening

Comment

Hi All,

This is my first post to introduce myself. I'm a fantastic snooker player and have a high break of about 18.
            I have just purchased a Riley Moderno Cue (it might be from the highstreet (all I can afford at the moment) but I'm well impressed so far) The shaft is lovely stiff ash (miles stiffer than the cue I had before) it has a good medium to hard tip and it is weighted just how I like it at a smidgen under 19oz.
            (I weighed my previous cue and it weighs 14.75oz ! I stuck 34pence (4.3 oz of copper in 2p's) onto the end of it just out of curiosity and it plays miles better than before! - Because of the poor previous cue I had to just play with club cues, what dark times they were :P )

Having said all that, I am always itching to get down the club and would like to be able to pop down 2-3 times a week but play for shorter periods of an hour to half n half. (to stop my posture and concentration drifting and spoiling my practice)

If there are any fellow Bradfordians here or people from nearby (I'm near Shipley) then please get in touch..
            Howdy and welcome to TSF and indeed there is some locals on here

Comment

Hey Thanks MasterBreak. Glad I'm not the only one from Bradford! That's a relief..

So where do you play?

I have a few things to discuss actually.. I was thinking of doing a charity event around Snooker, perhaps in Sheffield (to link in with a 'sports aid week' that an organisation I support is doing) so if anyone has experience of snooker for charity I would love to hear from you. I guess I may have to put that up as a topic for discussion on its own.. (just as soon as I have got past 10 posts and can have the blinders taken off me!)

Comment

Fancy a game?

I am free from 6 this evening if anyone fancies a game :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

nope, not heard of that happening
                  Aye, cue manufacturers ought to be banned from selling poor quality cues (the end of the shaft wobbles like its made of rubber!). Wasted several years of my life!

Comment

Aye, cue manufacturers ought to be banned from selling poor quality cues (the end of the shaft wobbles like its made of rubber!). Wasted several years of my life!

This forum will help you gain knowledge about cues, cue-makers, help work out the specs that work best for you, but a word of warning...
                    the hunt for THE cue can be long, arduous, painful and expensive!
                    There are many threads that cover several member's journeys for the holy-grail.
                    You have been warned

Please note: your posts on Newbies forum do not count towards your Posts count

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Dean. I will take it on board, indeed that's why I thought there is more to the game than the 'perfect' cue. I have a half decent one I think and there is plenty I need to learn and practice before I will need the added benefit of a higher quality cue. I reckon once I am up to building regular 25-30 breaks then that for me is when I will think about changing cues again..

Some of these Jian Ying cues on eBay at £35-£55 don't look too bad as the next step perhaps :P (i'm tinkering now aren't I!)

Comment

Oh and .. No wonder my posts count is at Zero! - Thanks again Dean!

Comment

I can't even view my OWN profile ! Barmy

Comment

Hi abu-bakr

May i ask where about do you play ? which club etc and not been cheeky here but what is your age also don't think playing me would help you i am a tad better than 18 break but hey if your up for a game then i am sure we can sort something out

Ta Kev

Comment

A good idea as you say, stick with a cue you are reasonably happy with, get your technique, stance good, then start thinking about a new cue.
                              Watch out for the Chinese invasion cues, they may look fancy but could play horribly!
                              Do a search on here for Jian Ying cues to see what others have said about them.
                              Last edited by DeanH; 12 August 2011, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X