Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wooden jointed Barracuda cue - has anyone seen one of these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden jointed Barracuda cue - has anyone seen one of these?

Hi,

I've had this cue for years & it's my pride & joy (I can't imagine using another cue to be honest!). I've checked online & only seen one other cue with a wooden joint & it's a pool cue.

It's a 'Barracuda Challenge' and hardly an antique as it was bought new about 25yrs ago.

Just curious if anyone else has one & if there's a reason why you don't see many cues with a wooden joint.

I'd post a photo but don't know how (any advice on this would be welcome as well) as this is my first post on the forum & I'm a bit of a technophobe.

Cheers folks

You do not see many wooden joints as they pick up dirt become tight then break.

Comment

Thanks for the response bigandyg,

My dad also bought the same make of cue at the same time. They've both had a lot of use (althought I didn't use mine for about 10yrs or so and have only started playing again over the last 2yrs), my old man plays several times a week and neither of us seem to have this problem. I've never even thought about dirt building up & never made any effort to clean the joint although after reading your post i'm going to have a look at it right now.
      The only problem I've had is with the ring that goes around the joint on the butt (sorry don't know the proper term). It's broken off completely as it was also wood, leaving a gap between the 2 pieces. Although it didn't affect the cue in any way it just didn't look right. I gave it to a friend who repaired it the other day using 3 small vinyl washers which he's glued on & sanded down. I only picked it up from him a few hours ago & have to say he's done an amazing job and it looks as good as new - I'm still grinning like an idiot & can't wait to use it tomorrow!

Comment

.... and i've just spent the last 10mins cleaning a pile of dirt out of the thread ... nice one bigandyg. Cheers fella !!!

Comment

The English version of the ORIGINAL Barracuda Challenge range was the basis of a fine range of cues made by Roger Bucknall In Kirkham Lancashire from about 1980. Roger was a skilled guitar maker who was a lover of pool and snooker and was inspired to begin after a friend showed him an original Burwat Champion cue. The balance in the machine spliced cues was cleverly devised to give a little forward weight. The wooden joints transmitted the feel very well and were only really vulnerable if they got damp and tended unsurprisingly to swell. The butt of the cue in the early days was paduak but later became purple heart. Roger also was the earliest production producer of the push on extension which he developed from seeing a guy cutting his hedge with shears fitted with two bits of plastic pipe on the handles to give him more reach. The company closed some years back. Beware of modern imported copies. F.

Comment

one here
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARRACUDA-...item2ebbcfcf57

Comment

can't believe i didn't think of looking on ebay! cheers matty

Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to reply with a wonderful & informative insight into where my cue came from - it really is appreciated and I know my old man will be fascinated as well. Shame the company isn't around anymore as the cue is a fine piece of workmanship.
                I've just come back home from using it for the first time after the repair work (sadly playing 9 ball much to my disappointment!) and i'm glad to say it felt as good as ever.
                Thanks again Frank - you've made my day!

Comment

Kevin Muncaster of North West cues fame originally started at Barracuda cues.He is still making cues today and made John Higgins cue. Mark Williams used to use a Barracuda Gold Medal as well.The Barracuda Kirkham , hand spliced is a cue worth looking out for and is highly desirable.There are many threads on this forum relating to NW Cues and Barracuda , as many people will tell you though " older is better " , an older Barracuda may even be weight stamped , although this was only done for a short time and indeed Barracuda was the only company I know to have done this,recently. I have a one piece , weght stamped 16oz ( & it is ) , Barracuda Professional . It is machine spliced,in ash and is as straight as the day it was made, beautiful playing cue as well.Hope this also helps , you can now research further using the threads on this forum.

Comment

Cheers old school. Mine's a stamped 17oz - haven't weighed it to check but judjing from what you say about the high standard of Barracuda's there's no reason to doubt it. I wish I could say mine's as 'straight as the day it was made' (my dad's is spot on by the way) - it's not far off mind you & hardly likely to affect my average game & I wouldn't swap it for any other cue.
                    Good to know that even though the company no longer exists that the people invoilved are still making quality cues. Thanks again for the info - really useful.

Comment

Hi

Iv'e got a wooden jointed Barracuda Cue which I have had since 1986. Unfortunately I dropped it last week in the club and the plastic centre ferrel snapped which caused the cue to split. I was mortified, its like losing my right arm. I have had to buy a cheap cue to get me through the rest of the season. I need to find someone to see if it can berepaired if you n=know of anyone please let me know.

Comment

hugh2354 - sorry to hear you sad news, where are you located, I am sure someone may know of a cue doctor or maker that may help you out.
                        Jumping in on this thread about Barracuda cues, my wife plays with a Barracuda Professional which we bought about 15 years ago, it has a round yellow badge and until now not heard of anyone mentioned this model before. I have always thought it was a "Riley-cheapie", and if I remember rightly it was not expensive when we bought it.
                        cheers for any info :snooker:
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

DeanH Thanks for the quick reply. I live in Urmston, Manchester. I have tried a local snooker shop in Levenshulme but he can not do repairs. He reckons the closest place is a guy in Leeds, any ideas? :snooker:

Comment

Hi , Hugh , I have tried to PM you the details of a wooden jointed Barracuda on E-Bay at the moment ( you cant accept PMs for some reason), you could perhaps buy it as a backup in case nothing can be done with your original cue. Use the search function and type in Barracuda or the user name " bandaenterprises" and you will find the cue , reasonable price atm as well.As to the repair work on your original cue , to me there is only one place to go and that is North West Cues.Kev Muncaster who is NW Cues was one of the , if not "the", cue maker at Barracuda Cues at Kirkham.If anyone knows of a way to repair your cue ,it will be Kev as he probably worked on it or knows how it was constructed in the first place.NW Cues is based at Freckleton , not too far from you ,so worth a trip , however phone first as Kev is a one man operation and you have to catch him in the workshop.Nice chap to deal with though , hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Old School, Thanks so much for you help I will check out ebay and contact Kev asap

Comment

Working...
                              X