Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey all, new member and I have a question :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all, new member and I have a question :)

Firstly I'd like to say hello! to everyone here My name's Omar.

I've always really absolutely loved playing snooker, it's just something that I can really chill out and just do and forget about everything. I'm not great at it and I usually play pool with my friends because they find snooker boring. I used to be pretty good at snooker until I started playing pool a lot. I'm great at pool but not so good at snooker.

Now I live away at university on my own, and none of my friends here like to play. This may be a silly question. Since I've come to university I've suffered a lot from depression and whatever and it's pretty much cost me my relationship with my girlfriend of 3 years. Therefore I'm not exactly full of confidence haha! I'd absolutely love to just go to a snooker hall near me to just play on my own, but I'm scared people will judge and look at me weirdly. I'm not good at snooker anymore so I just think they'll be like "lol what's he doing here..."

I know if someone was on their own playing snooker I wouldn't judge whatsoever, but I was wondering if it's okay to just go and play on my own, sorry about the silly question, thank you

Omar xxx

Omar, welcome to TSF.
    I would say that it is definitely OK for someone to go and practise on their own, sometimes it is the only way to concentrate on certain aspects of your game that you feel need attention. May seem strange and awkward especially if you are new to the snooker club, etc. But you never know, you can find new players who may come over to introduce themselves...
    Can I ask where about approximately are you located? There could be TSF members near you who could become practise/match partners?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Of course it's OK to practise on your own. Any player hoping to improve his/her standard will practise routines on his/her own.

Get stuck in.

What university are you at?

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
      http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys, I think I shall!

I'm at the university of Portsmouth, England

Comment

oh, I am sure there are TSF members around Portsmouth
          all the best
          cheers
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I play on my own a lot, and i still frigging lose!!!!
            No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

University of Portsmouth! Welcome to the south coast.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
              http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Playing on your own (self practice) is actually recommended by every snooker coach I've ever heard of. As a coach and player myself I play on my own all the time since, as has already been said, it's really the only way you can improve your technique.

Welcome to TSF

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by omartron View Post

I've always really absolutely loved playing snooker, it's just something that I can really chill out and just do and forget about everything. I'm not great at it and I usually play pool with my friends because they find snooker boring. I used to be pretty good at snooker until I started playing pool a lot. I'm great at pool but not so good at snooker.

Now I live away at university on my own, and none of my friends here like to play. This may be a silly question. Since I've come to university I've suffered a lot from depression and whatever and it's pretty much cost me my relationship with my girlfriend of 3 years. Therefore I'm not exactly full of confidence haha! I'd absolutely love to just go to a snooker hall near me to just play on my own, but I'm scared people will judge and look at me weirdly. I'm not good at snooker anymore so I just think they'll be like "lol what's he doing here..."

I know if someone was on their own playing snooker I wouldn't judge whatsoever, but I was wondering if it's okay to just go and play on my own, sorry about the silly question, thank you

Omar xxx
                  If you play by yourself, at regular times (make them the semi-busy times) you will soon make friends and folk will ask you if you fancy a frame. If you and they get on, you will swap numbers and meet again. It builds from there. When I first started practising by myself, because this is the serious end of getting better, folk thought I was a bit of a loner, but other folk practised alone too, so it was ok. And then they'd come over and say how did you pot that ball, are you in a league or something, stuff like that. Of course, they were pretty awful and could be impressed by any 10ft pot! lol. Pick a snooker hall with a nice reputation, friendly staff and open minded punters. After that, it should be plain sailing. Practise and you will definitely improve. Potting balls on a snooker table is just so much more satisfying, I can't quite describe the feeling of a great pot on a snooker table compared to a pool table. It's a great feeling.
                  Last edited by Particle Physics; 13 August 2012, 10:07 PM.
                  Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

i just typed a big response to this, hit enter and nothing has happened???

Is it to do with permissions?

Comment

OK ill type it again lol.

Omar,

I live about three minutes from Portsmouth University, I am definitely an average player and don't have much clue about positioning etc (Not yet at least) so we would probably be similar abilities. I also use the quietness of snooker to unwind and relax but also really enjoy a game with an opponent/Friend.

If you feel like taking the leap and want a game one evening or even if you just want to go for a practice on your own i would be more than happy to give you a lift on my way round.

Drop me an Email to Richard1705@hotmail.com

Im 28 and live in Old Portsmouth with my Wife and Daughter so most evenings are quiet for me.

Take care

Comment

Originally Posted by omartron View Post

Omar xxx
                        HI There is nothing wrong with practicing by your self even the pros sometimes practice by them selves.

When you do practice by your self and you see a person like you practicing by them selves ask them for a game this way you make freinds and then you will enjoy yourself better.

They say in Life Practice makes Perfect good luck in your practice
                        Cheers Leonard from Canada

Comment

Working...
                        X