Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip size

Good afternoon all.
    I'm using a 9mm cue tip,I have done for years,my question is does the tip size matter?i was looking at an slightly smaller tip on a cue.a different cue to the one I'm using.maybe 8.6mm.
    I think it's that size.
    Any advice would be grateful.thanks in advance,jacks dad

If it's for pool then probably ok, if for snooker that would be very small !!

Comment

Graham Dott uses a 9mm but that's the limit for me. And I think he only uses a 9mm because he lacks cue power and needs the extra spin. If you can cue through the ball properly and that can be learnt, then a 9.5mm is fine. That's around what most pros use.

Comment

I think you can generate spin easier with a smaller tip but its harder to control.John Spencer used a 6mm tip but he was a superb cueist.
        :snooker:

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

Comment

Originally Posted by Tim65 View Post
          I think you can generate spin easier with a smaller tip but its harder to control.John Spencer used a 6mm tip but he was a superb cueist.
          I didn't know that. Incredible, most pool players don't go below 8-9mm so 6mm for snooker is unreal.

Comment

seen one 6mm tip, several in the 7s
            for pool, never so snooker how it does break hitting the bigger balls
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              seen one 6mm tip, several in the 7s
              for pool, never so snooker how it does break hitting the bigger balls
              It breaks really easily Deano!

Comment

oops, just reread my post and it does not read as I planned

for pool, never so snooker how it does it not break hitting the bigger balls?

meaning breaking the shaft, not the opening shot of a frame
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Shaun Murphy uses an 8.75mm tip and can generate loads of power but you need a cue action to match

Comment

years ago when i started playing snooker i had a 7.5 ml tip that i used for snooker, i leant it out and some broke the shaft...its all about cueing at that diameter if you hit everything with force then it wont last long at all....i use a 9.5 mm now and i think thats about right for me.

Comment

As has been said, with a smaller tip you need that Rolls Royce cue action because you get more spin and any off-centre hit will be amplified. It's actually a trade-off in that a small tip needs a pro cue action and a larger tip gets better accuracy for those of us without that pro cue action.

I think for most amateurs a 9.5mm is the ideal since you can still generate all the spin required as long as you drive through the cueball.
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        As has been said, with a smaller tip you need that Rolls Royce cue action because you get more spin and any off-centre hit will be amplified. It's actually a trade-off in that a small tip needs a pro cue action and a larger tip gets better accuracy for those of us without that pro cue action.

I think for most amateurs a 9.5mm is the ideal since you can still generate all the spin required as long as you drive through the cueball.
                        Hi Terry,

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a question for me that I just posted on the newbie forum, post title is what cue you prefer, should be close to the top. I would post it here but want people in the thread to see your answers whether I'm right or wrong.

Regards

Comment

I think for most amateurs a 9.5mm is the ideal since you can still generate all the spin required as long as you drive through the cuebal

Comment

Originally Posted by Tim65 View Post
                            .John Spencer used a 6mm tip but he was a superb cueist.
                            What? Have you got a source for that?

Comment

An ex-England pool player once told me 9.5mm for snooker, 9mm for pool (English 8). A lot of folk use smaller tips for pool and they never beat him! Dott uses 9mm I'm led to believe but I think that's down to his cue action and lack of cue power. Let's face it, if you play on a #10 and you've got a good cue action, 9.5 is plenty small enough.

The problem with smaller tips like a 9mm are unintended side coming into play, so you need a really straight cue action. Unintended side with a smaller tip can be defeated, i.e. the unintended deflection/squirt nullified by a titanium ferrule/black-spin and an OLD WOOD shaft, naturally air dried for decades. So you could have more cue power and less deflection from a smaller tip. But let's not go there Byrom!

But then again, old wood leads to more cue power, so why go for a smaller tip, just get an air dried shaft. I've moved to an increased tip size and dropped 2oz off my cue weight when I moved cue and my cue power has gone up. This won't make sense to many but it's partially down to the shaft wood being old, AIR dried (part of it is also down to a different bridge to ball length). But as I say, let's not go there.

* Note to self: write a TSF article about the benefits of old shaft wood for the uninformed.
                              Last edited by Master Blaster; 3 April 2015, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X