Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help !

Hi all
    I have a serious problem. I have played for years at a good level i am practicing very well i always come off the practice table feeling good and confident. When i play a match i am unable to string 3 shots together i know this is an mental issue but were do i start. Please help !

How is it possible to say you play to a good level and then say you cant string 3 balls together in a match lol

You need to expand and explain -

What is your highest break in practice and in a match?

What do you do differently - for example is your shot selection different? bad timing? anything else different? - do you suffer from bad nerves? -

How often do you play in matches or against people?

Comment

Originally Posted by iro-147 View Post
      Hi all
      I have a serious problem. I have played for years at a good level i am practicing very well i always come off the practice table feeling good and confident. When i play a match i am unable to string 3 shots together i know this is an mental issue but were do i start. Please help !
      if we knew the answer to how to take the practise game to the match table we would all be pros! try not to care if you win or lose!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
        try not to care if you win or lose!
        this statement might be true, but its the hardest thing to do

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
          this statement might be true, but its the hardest thing to do
          Just enjoy playing the game. Losing 5-0 can still be a good night out.

A few good breaks, good pots and a few beers. What is not to like?

Practice, practice and practice some more. You will improve.

The more competition matches you play the better you get at handling the pressure.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
            Just enjoy playing the game. Losing 5-0 can still be a good night out.

A few good breaks, good pots and a few beers. What is not to like?

Practice, practice and practice some more. You will improve.

The more competition matches you play the better you get at handling the pressure.

do get me wrong i enjoy the game and playing well is what i enjoy more than winning , losing and playing well gives me satisfaction.
            but playing bad is what i don't enjoy. in practice most of the time i play very well. in matches especially the league where you only have one frame doesn't suit my game at all. it takes me time to get my rhythm so i'm better best of 5, 7 or 9.

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
              do get me wrong i enjoy the game and playing well is what i enjoy more than winning , losing and playing well gives me satisfaction.
              but playing bad is what i don't enjoy. in practice most of the time i play very well. in matches especially the league where you only have one frame doesn't suit my game at all. it takes me time to get my rhythm so i'm better best of 5, 7 or 9.
              Everyone likes to win. I was just trying to give some friendly advice to help overcome the fear of losing and the stress it creates.

If you can just play your natural game without worry then you will start to win more often and play better more often in comp matches.

It is not easy to do. Everyone gets nervous but with practice it does get easier to bring your practice game to the match table.

I just wish my practice game was better.
              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Hi all
                Not saying I do'nt believe you !!! ,, but the problem is that many players do believe that they are (in practice ) playing snooker in high standard Or much better compared With the real match !!!!!! but that's just an imagination in their mind and that's just the impression they have of themselves !!! while they can not actually play in high standard Or any better than the match !! why is that ?? because during practice , you can always do what you want !! you can put the balls on the table as you want !! and the main reason is, every time you miss a pott ,you can continue with your game ( No matter what you do, put the ball back or try again or .....). the point is ,you do'nt have to go and sit down and watch how your opponent makes the fram winning break !! and ultimately it gives you the impression that you can play in high standard , But in reality u can'nt !!! is just something in ur mind !!! do practice but once you're done with practice, put it out of your mind and DO NOT think about the breaks that you have made or have played in any standard !!! cus if you do, you'll get frustrated during The real match and you can'nt do what you actually are able to do !!! Btw ,,, I'm Not a coach ,,, is just my opinion !! Hope u enjoy ur game !!!

Comment

i always come off the practice table feeling good and confident. When i play a match i am unable to string 3 shots together
                  Are you Les Edwards in disguise?

Comment

A decent level is a 100 break person and if you're stuggling to chuck out 3 balls in a row then I'm wondering what you define a decent level. I don't buy all this mental issue tripe as you're either a good player or you're not and missing pots in match play is down to that particular player simply not being good enough.

Comment

My pre-shot routine has not changed however in a match i am cueing across the white, snatching and moving on the shot. I am putting this down to nerves. Why i have become nervous after playing for 20 years is a mystery. My highest competitive break is 145, when playing in my local snooker leagues just one frames matches 50,60 and 70+ breaks is my normal standard which i think is quite good. When practicing i am really strict if i miss i start again no matter which routine i am doing.

Comment

My pre-shot routine has not changed however in a match i am cueing across the white, snatching and moving on the shot. I am putting this down to nerves. Why i have become nervous after playing for 20 years is a mystery. My highest competitive break is 145, when playing in my local snooker leagues just one frames matches 50,60 and 70+ breaks is my normal standard which i think is quite good. When practicing i am really strict if i miss i start again no matter which routine i am doing.
                        145 in a match and now you cant string three balls together -

I think that opening statement was either tongue in cheek or impossible if true as I cant believe you can get to that kind of standard and then suddenly fall apart so bad - one frame 50 60 70's is a very good level actually - any player would be happy with that.

You are at a higher level than me if that is what you can do - what do you expect - clear up 1 visit every game - ain't going to happen.
                        Last edited by Byrom; 25 March 2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

help !

trust me i have fell apart i a big way. i had a league match last night got distroyed 6 in off's could not pot a ball unless it was over the pocket. an hour before i was practicing, one red and the colours cleared the table 5/5 went to the match confident.

Comment

Sounds like you have the yips.

Comment

help !

how do i get shut of the yips ????

Comment

Working...
                              X