Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find my feet.

Greeting fellow snooker enthusiasts!

I've always been a great fan at snooker, and have played pool whenever I've had a chance. Watching the WC this year and realising I have ample free time these days (due to living alone and such), I've decided to give snooker a real go.

I've had a fair few games with my similarly-entry-level friends recently and would seriously like to take my interest further. I've invested in a decent cue (a Cue Craft one I bought from a nearby club) and have watched tons of youtube vids that explain a good cue action.

My eventual aim to to be able to hold my own in an amateur league. My highest break so far is 17, and I've had plenty of breaks in the region on 12-15. I'm under no illusions and have no doubt I have a long way to go before giving any semi-serious player a decent game.

Is it worth getting some coaching from an amateur coach? How much should I be looking at paying for a couple of hours every couple of weeks? Is this enough if I put in plenty of other hours in at the club and indeed at home (using the old matchbox exercise and whatnot)? Bear in mind I am 27, so not exactly on the young side.

I'm based in Nottingham, and live 10 mins walk away from Stadium Leisure - if anybody else here is local and fancies a game with an enthusiastic beginner then feel free to holla

On a side note, an old[ish] fella at the club today reckons my cue has too much varnish on it which is preventing it from gliding through my hand - this seems legit as I did happen to think the same myself. He suggests sanding all the varnish off. It's a brand new cue which cost me around £100 so I'm a bit reluctant to do this just incase I balls it up. Any opinions on this?

Any advice for a beginner is more than welcome!

What a great intro . We all started somewhere and you will only improve with the attitude that you express in your post .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I'm in nottingham. Coming back to the game after a few years off, and starting again with a new cue and setup. You probably can't learn much from me, but we could have a knock some time if you fancied.

I knew nothing about Stadium Leisure! Mind you, I am the other side of town (so probably never going to be a regular playing partner).

Comment

Nigel Bond coaches in Nottingham but I don't know what his availability is. Yes, take the varnish off your cue but don't start with a low grit type. Buy some 300grit for the initial sanding and then get some 1,000 or 2,000 grit which should be available anywhere you can buy auto paint.

Sand slowly and carefully and keep rotating the cue so you get it even and then once the varnish is off use raw linseed oil or else but some cue oil from one of the cuemakers like Dave Coutts who I believe sells it and oil the bare shaft wood a few times and let the cue sit overnight and then wipe it down with a damp and dry soft cloth.

If it's ash you have to be careful as there are parts of the grain that are harder than the rest of the shaft and you may have to spot sand those.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Welcome to the forum pal. As long as you have a passion for the game , lots of patience and the will to learn you will improve. Don't expect to be knocking in tons within a few months, it's a hard long road to becoming an accomplished player.

You have age on your side, I wish I was 27 , I picked up a cue after my 44th birthday and I am improving all the time .
          I would recommend you get some coaching especially at this early stage just to put u on the right path before you develop bad habits.

Coaching varies depending on who you get , most that I know are about £30-£40 an hour.

With regards to your cue if it has lacquer on it I would remove it. I can use 600 grit sand paper first then move up to 800 and maybe a 1000 to give it that nice smooth finish. You then can oil it using boiled linseed oil put it on then leave it to dry over night. Next day rub it down with the 1000 grit sandpaper and repeat with the oil. Depends how smooth u want it but twice or three times is plenty. That should protect you cue give it a nice finish .

Good luck pal with your game, hope to hear from you when you've managed your first 20 and 30 break.

Comment

Is it just me or do anyone else get a buzz out of someone enthusiastic who wants to improve his game. Welcome btw

Comment

Thanks Neil - hopefully I can convert some of my enthusiasm into ability.

tetricky - I'd be more than happy to have a few frames with you - I'm simply happy to be getting some hours in on a table . I work not far from Spot On, which is where I was today in fact, and would be more than happy to have a blast up there on a weak night if that's a bit closer to your way. I only found Stadium Leisure the other day myself, doesn't seem particularly well advertised but the tables seemed decent and reasonably priced. Plus it's 2.40 a pint so can't complain.

If anyone could recommend a decent and reasonably priced coach in Nottingham, that'd be fantastic.

Comment

Spot On in Sneinton? I used to be a member there, before it was Spot on, not been since it has been but could certainly get there. I have a stack of cues at the moment (acquired one or two (!!) to have a sort out for which one I fancy starting again with). If you wanted to try a selection of finishes, including one of my home-made oiled finishes, that would be possible. I'm even further away than that.....the Establishment, on the embankment at trent bridge is the nearest place I've found to play....but can come to Sneinton no problem.

No experience with coaches, unfortunately....I'm a DIY type.......

Comment

That's the one. Plenty of nice tables in there and seems to have a bit of life, which is always a bonus I guess.

I'm usually a DIY type guy myself if I'm being honest, but having taught myself guitar and ending up with many bad habits which has now resulted in me struggling in some aspects, I can certainly see the benefit of having some tuition! Plus I've watched so many videos recently with conflicting information, some clarity into proper technique and some general feedback would be great. Feel free to give me a PM on here if you fancy a game or two one week night (Friday is usually not good for me as I tend to me away on weekends). Don't suppose you use Google Hangouts?

Thanks Terry and alabadi - I gather from your almost identical answers that the old bloke was indeed correct (as old blokes often tend to be), so I'll look at getting this varnish off and oiled up when I get a chance.

I am familiar with Nigel Bond as I believe he was in the top 32 not so long ago - sounds like he'll be fairly expensive though as he's an ex-pro? I think £30-£40 p/h is reasonable but I really couldn't justify much more!

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                    Is it just me or do anyone else get a buzz out of someone enthusiastic who wants to improve his game. Welcome btw
                    yep
                    welcome to TSF bolty

I recall at least one TSF member going to Nigel for coaching and was very impressed and their game improved
                    could be worth a punt

doesn't Nigel have a website?
                    found it
                    http://www.nigelbond.com/
                    go to the bottom of the page for links
                    Last edited by DeanH; 10 June 2015, 09:55 PM.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

On the downside,I'm not sure how current that website is. On the upside, an opportunity for time travel exists, which has to be good.

Nigel Bond Limited are pleased to announce that sponsorship agreements are available for Logo sponsorship for the 2004-2005 season.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
                        On the downside,I'm not sure how current that website is. On the upside, an opportunity for time travel exists, which has to be good.
                        LOL oops - sorry about that - the site was very small on the phone screen
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I shall be trying to contact Nigel in the near future to get some more info.

Comment

2 well established members giving conflicting advice there regarding which oil to use on your cue. One stating Raw Linseed Oil the other stating Boiled Linseed Oil.
                            Not sure if it does make a difference but I was of the belief you should use Raw. Maybe others will confirm which is correct if it matters.
                            "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Hi bolty,

Great opening post mate.
                              I am a Grade A WSA Coach and have been coaching for 25+ years.
                              If you send me a couple of videos of you playing, I would be more than willing to help set you on the right path. (All Free of course).
                              As someone said earlier, you don't want to ingrain bad habits or technique into your game before you get well into it all.
                              If you don't have a video camera and facilities, then a simple phone video or two, sent over on WhatsApp is suffice.
                              Whatever you choose to do, I wish you all the best on your journey into this amazing game.
                              Regards
                              StevieB
                              www.sbandsa.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X