Break off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break off

Good morning all.just wanted to say thank you very much to you all for the advice in previous posts.
    My query today is,when making a break off shot,is it better to use a little side when taking the break off shot?
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Thank you

No real answer to that question. Much depends on what break off shot you play and the result you want.

Generally if side gets you back safe in the baulk, just add it.

Personally I break with side. I find it helps the cue ball slide behind the yellow from my break position.

Comment

Most definitely... Don't overdo it though. The amount of side isn't as important as the cleanliness of the strike.

Comment

Trial and error, see what's best for you. I hit 3 o'clock on the cue ball 4th red down with the cue ball starting an inch to the left of the yellow. As Pottr says above a sweet strike is important rather than the amount of side!
        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

4th red? I've always tried to hit the last red with side and a bit of bottom... I think I will try your break off tom

Comment

Give it a go Jono, it works for me. I went through a phase of hitting the last red too thin and getting a terrible cue ball so went one red up!

I don't think there is a uniform method, we all break off slightly differently, I alter my break based on my opponents ability too.
            I know Ronnie breaks from the opposite side with his left hand because he feels he's able to impart side more effectively by doing this.

Comment

Yeah though I always seem to bring up a red to the middle pocket when playing the last red

Comment

I'm second red up, trace of right hand side, from the right side of the D. I find the side helps consistently miss the blue.....but get the red too thick, or too thin, and all bets are off.

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
                  Yeah though I always seem to bring up a red to the middle pocket when playing the last red
                  Same problem with me, 1 pesky red travels up the table.
                  ( Always thought it would be an idea to practise a break off - just can't be as sed to keep setting them up haha ).

Comment

I'm thinking of changing break-off to the left side of the pack, purely because no-one does it around here. They may still have a pot on, but it wouldn't be one they're used to, so more chance of missing it. It will also make me use L hand side; I prefer running side I think? Hmmmm

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
                      I'm second red up, trace of right hand side, from the right side of the D. I find the side helps consistently miss the blue.....but get the red too thick, or too thin, and all bets are off.
                      I'm the second red down! ������

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BWuId72t4rQ
                      Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                      https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                        I'm thinking of changing break-off to the left side of the pack, purely because no-one does it around here. They may still have a pot on, but it wouldn't be one they're used to, so more chance of missing it. It will also make me use L hand side; I prefer running side I think? Hmmmm
                        Surely it's running side whatever side you break from?
                        Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
                          I'm the second red down! ������

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BWuId72t4rQ
                          Ha, the killer break

Comment

Just break off from the back , then sit down and watch Selby make a max at your local league's presentation night (happened to me, enjoyed that)

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                              Left hand side from the left side of the pack is running side.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                              X