No announcement yet.

Buying a John Parris Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick hypothetical question then...on taking down shafts to allow for a narrower ferrule eg 10mm to 9.5mm...if you have an ultimate shaft (Ultimate = pattern/aesthetics), then do you not run the risk of turning this pattern into a flawed pattern ie not ultimate? I realise it's only a slight amount of trimming that's required, but surely if an ultimate is so difficult to find then a few mm here and there makes a difference?

Comment

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
      Quick hypothetical question then...on taking down shafts to allow for a narrower ferrule eg 10mm to 9.5mm...if you have an ultimate shaft (Ultimate = pattern/aesthetics), then do you not run the risk of turning this pattern into a flawed pattern ie not ultimate? I realise it's only a slight amount of trimming that's required, but surely if an ultimate is so difficult to find then a few mm here and there makes a difference?

Afaik if the ferrule is 10mm then you can adjust it down in size without taking any length off the shaft, its more the tenon inside the ferrule gets made thinner and the shaft has to be slightly tapered in by a small amount to match the new ferrule.

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

Wouldn't that apply mainly to maple though? Surely tapering ash down very slightly, the chevrons should still be there??

Comment

I didn't think they'd disappear - just curious as to whether the shaft would need tapering enough to possibly affect the pattern - for example one Chevron may end up wonky thus turning an "ultimate" into a classic.

Comment

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
              I didn't think they'd disappear - just curious as to whether the shaft would need tapering enough to possibly affect the pattern - for example one Chevron may end up wonky thus turning an "ultimate" into a classic.
              Wouldn't put too much stock into grain patterns and ultimates, the grain on O'Sullivan's cue is pathetic yet it's badged as an ultimate, just an odd kind of grain he likes.

http://i.imgur.com/hfzYHwq.jpg

Comment

Maybe Ronnie is more about how his cue plays more than what it looks like

Comment

Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
                  Maybe Ronnie is more about how his cue plays more than what it looks like
                  More or less what i said, its a weird grain, and for an ultimate a grain that would look more at home on a rack cue. But its what he likes.

Comment

Heard Ronnie is quite specific with grain. All hearsay tbh. Who cares, it's not any of our cues.

Comment

It’s been 4 months since I placed the order for my JP classic. It’s status is still received They said that once it goes to in progress(not sure when), the final work begins. I hope it’s ready soon but their lead times suggest a different story.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                        It’s been 4 months since I placed the order for my JP classic. It’s status is still received They said that once it goes to in progress(not sure when), the final work begins. I hope it’s ready soon but their lead times suggest a different story.
                        I have a one piece Traditional on order for a friend, it took 12 months before it changed to "in progress"

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          I have a one piece Traditional on order for a friend, it took 12 months before it changed to "in progress"
                          Wow, so the motto is order and forget till one fine day you are contacted that it’s ready.

Comment

Once it was in progress, may I know how long it took to get shipped?

Comment

Wow, so the motto is order and forget till one fine day you are contacted that it’s ready.
                              or even further; place order, forget about it, and then many years later go to order a cue, Mrs Parris finds the old order and the cue is sitting there just finished and waiting for final payment and delivery
                              [as per story by TSF member - name escapes me ]
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Once it was in progress, may I know how long it took to get shipped?
                                Still waiting 😁
                                Went into progress mid July, email said it should be ready end of October

Comment

Working...
                                X