Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello there :)

hi folks!

just a short introductory note from me. I just registered to the forum. I'm kind of a freshmen concerning snooker. got hooked on it when I accidently stumbled over the broadcasting of the welsh open final (wow, what a thriller...).
    admittedly, before that, I really thought snooker was just a waste of broadcasting time, but apparently I've been so wrong. Once I got into the rules I couldn't stop watching it. Ask my friends, who had to stand my constant babbling and rambling about snooker especially during the worlds. it's actually surprising I survived ^^

Within a short time, I developed into a snooker-maniac. Lucky enough, I was already able to see alot of top players compete at this years german open / paul hunter classics in fürth, which is only about 30 minutes away from the place I live at.
    if I wasn't addicted to snooker until that occasion... I'm definitely now.
    I'm absolutely looking forward to the Royal London Watches Grand Prix, which is hopefully broadcasted on eurosport (it simply has to...)

well yeah. fav players: selby, dale, mcchulloch (wonder if I'll ever get to spell his name correct in first attempt...), ryan day and ken doherty plus steve davis (he was huge fun in fürth, seriously. good old man ^^)

appart from beeing a snooker maniac, I'm a 23 years old student of history, politics and english literature. As already mentioned, I'm from Germany.
    That's about it I guess
    "It's a massive achievement getting to the world final, but all I did was winning four snooker matches." Mark Selby

Hi Fuu, welcome to this forum. You will learn a lot a bout Snooker on here.
    'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

I guess so eventhough I'll probably never be playing myself, atleast not anywhere close to seriously... I'm hopeless already on a pool table... and compared to that, snooker tables are like football fields ^^ which makes the whole sport even more impressive for me. I'm happy I found the forum
      "It's a massive achievement getting to the world final, but all I did was winning four snooker matches." Mark Selby

Comment

Hi!
        So, another German member! The number should be increasing even further as snooker is getting more and more popular in the German speaking world...The only downside: This gives Rolf Kalb some more reason to explain the rules over and over again...
        Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

Hello Fuu. Welcome to TSF.
          "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

Hi Fuu and welcome, that was an interesting introduction. I think most of us will be able to relate to that level of snooker addiction (I see you've seen Alex's mission this weekend ). I know I only started watching a few years ago and after my first couple of matches I never wanted to miss a frame, I think a few of my friends get fed up with me sometimes too .

I'm 99% sure Eurosport will show the Grand Prix live, they show every pro tournament these days bar the League. The one-day pot black tournament should be on before then too.

And try not to be put from playing the game too quickly. It is incredibly tough when you start out but the nice thing about that stage is that you improve very quickly. It won't be long before you start stringing a few balls together and the game is a whole lot more fun then.

Anyway, welcome again, hope you stick around.

Comment

Hi Fuu! Welcome to our forum!
              2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
              2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by Ekphantos
                Hi!
                The only downside: This gives Rolf Kalb some more reason to explain the rules over and over again...
                heh.. well, yeah. but still, I rather have him explain it a million times than NOT being able to see the matches and he's a very nice person, I met him in fürth during the german open and talked to him for a while. think I can forgive him the explaining part... and hey, we all were newbies once, and it's always nice to have someone explain things to you.

@ robert: thanks. I'm pretty sure I SO will stick around here finally a place where I can live up to my snooker-mania without people threatening me ^^

@ attila and miss: thanks for the warm welcome

Comment

Originally Posted by Fuu
                  hi folks!

I'm absolutely looking forward to the Royal London Watches Grand Prix, which is hopefully broadcasted on eurosport (it simply has to...)
                  hey, welcome
                  Luckily, every tournament is broadcasted on eurosport.
                  ALI FOR WORLD CHAMP 2012

Comment

Originally Posted by Ekphantos
                    The only downside: This gives Rolf Kalb some more reason to explain the rules over and over again...
                    Just switch off the tone if you can´t stand it. I was very happy that someone explained the rules when I saw it for the first time! And you must confess that he´s not talking all the time like this guy on DSF.
                    ALI FOR WORLD CHAMP 2012

Comment

actually I never managed to watch dsf when they broadcasted snooker... I ALWAYS miss it... which might result from the fact that appart from their basketball coverage, they are hopelessly bad... well okay, icehockey works with them too, but the rest.. horrible. at least for my taste.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kathrin
                        Just switch off the tone if you can´t stand it. I was very happy that someone explained the rules when I saw it for the first time! And you must confess that he´s not talking all the time like this guy on DSF.
                        Well, the DSF guy is the WORST. I started watching snooker on Swedish Eurosport and didn't understand much and I still got addicted Fortunately you usually can switch to the English version of Eurosport now, the commentators there aren't great, but much better than Rolf Kalb. What I really don't get is why there are so many people that think he is good at his job. His comments (when he is not explaining rules) are neither insightful nor funny, so why have him at all?

Comment

well I actually got no problem with him, admittedly. swedish eurosport might have worked for me a little better than for you since I lived in stockholm for some month, but I don't understand much either ^^
                          and I can't switch to english eurosport version since I have a nearly antique tv and I guess even if I could, I wouldn't know how to do it. I'm not excactly a wiz-kid when it comes to technical stuff ... *hangs head in shame*

Comment

Hello Fuu and welcome to the forum

I've heard all sorts of things about the Eurosport commentators, not just the German one, but I have only heard a few of them.
                            The Swedish commentator is king IMO, so i only listen to him, the British ones are ok and the Norwegian ones suck!

Comment

Originally Posted by Fuu
                              swedish eurosport might have worked for me a little better than for you since I lived in stockholm for some month, but I don't understand much either ^^
                              I studied in Umea, in northern Sweden, for half a year and was so bored there that I started to watch snooker .
                              I am rather bad at learning languages and the EVIL Swedes always replied in English when I tried to talk Swedish and all my lectures were in English, therefore my skills remained rather limited...
                              I heard a lot of good things about the Swedish commentator, though, so I guess it is a pity that I didn't understand much...

Comment

Working...
                              X