Hallo! again........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallo! again........

Hello, I'm Will and i discovered snooker about 4 months ago and have fallen in love with it. My highest break is 23 (pretty pathtic) but I am hoping to improve very soon as I am learning. I can screw back, use top spin, stun and sometimes use side. Anyway, I hope to have fun chattin with you!

23 isn't bad for 4 months. I'd advise against using side till you get to the regular 50 break stage. Anyway, welcome

Comment

Hi

I disagree you wont get any where near 50 break unless you use all the types of shots. Screw, Deep Screw, Top spins, dead weight, right/left hand side. Top and side, reverse side. Just play around thats what I did.

If you need help just ask these guys here ^^

Comment

watch Stephen Hendry - see how often he uses side

Comment

Originally Posted by Sonny
          watch Stephen Hendry - see how often he uses side
          He uses side etc as and when its required, as does any other player that knows what they are doing. I agree with Pollita that to make a break of 50+ then somewhere within that side will come into play.
          "and for those watching in black and white, the pink ball is behind the yellow"

Comment

Hendry only uses side when he has no alternative. Most of the time there is an alternative.

Comment

cheers for all ya help! im thinkin of getting my own cue but ent sure if it is a waste of money. any recomendations. what cue, where to buy etc...

*i found www.absolutesnooker.com and found that the cues are good and cheap even after adding VAT i looked at the Peradon Century 3/4 split + Monarch if i can shed out the money
              *i also found www.thecuedoctor.co.uk and looked at the cooper cue labelled "TCD-0125" on a deal for £84.99 with everything which normally costs around £109.45

please tell me wot u think
              cheers

Comment

I can only say how I've bought my cues if it helps. Only ever had 2 cues - 1st was £19.99 from Argos in Crewe, gorgeous 2 piece ash cue that I didn't know what it weighed or even the tip size till I needed to replace it! It got stolen and then I went to Forrest Hill on a mission to get a John Parris cue - had a budget and John just layed out about 15 cues in my price range - the one that felt the best was the one I bought. It's good to have a wide choice be able to play a few shots with it, otherwise you'll always be thinking, "wish it was heavier", "I really want a 3 piece", etc etc.

As for side in break building, it's your technique you really need to work on first - plain ball pots from long range are so much easier than using "helpful" side, (right hand side on pots to the left of the object ball and vicky versa) as Sonny says make sure you're potting well before you dabble, when you get confident in knowing you're 75% sure of potting every ball - you'll see the advantages of using some stun, screw and left/right hand side.
                The problem with LH & RH side is that getting the white to contact the object ball on the the potting angle changes depending on how much side you put on it and how hard you hit the shot - the white can also make the object ball end up with some LH or RH side too.

If you have a chance to practice on your own, try plain ball potting without worrying about position - much more accurate, when you need to manoeuvre the white then look at the 'natural' angle first, normally the side is only for position anyway, so there's no need if the natural angle is perfect.

It takes a surprising amount of confidence to trust yourself in NOT putting any side on the white... if you put some extreme action on a shot, it gives you a kind of internal get-out-clause for missing the pot... if that makes sense.
                Many players of varying abilities can be improved if they have the right advice at the right time - the student needs to have respect for the coach and then they can trust their judgement in what their offering as advice.
                If I tried to make a break without any side at all..... it would be a first!!!! Pollita has a point therefore that you won't get a decent break without some side on the white.... you need to gauge how you're improving and what tools you're capable of using.
                trust your ability and feel when you're attempting the wrong shot or playing the right shot in the wrong way. No-one (in a match) can tell you what to do for any particular shot ---- so learning to rely on yourself is one of the KEY lessons in this game.
                For instance, I was playing a mate tonight in our Team Challenge event where each or our (6) teams plays each other off handicap, he can get breaks over 30 and I had to give him a 63 start - won on the pink and helped the team win 4-1 ..... proud. If every game you ever play you can say that you're proud of yourself, you're ahead of most people no matter what their standard.
                Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

Working...
                X