Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginner

Hello,
    Just found this thread and joined in. My name is Marcus, 35yo from Hamburg, Germany. Though I played my first snooker frame some 12 years ago, I have not been practising the game on a regulary basis untill 8 months ago. Since then I am working on it, trying to improve from the beginner status.
    As a fan I have followed the main tour quite a while now. My first favourite player was Steve Davis, Mark Williams and John Higgins following later on.
    If I have forgot something important, feel free to ask...
    Ten reds and not a colour...

Hi Marcus, welcome. You've a good list to keep you inspired - from what JayJay and Rallick say, you're doing well to even find a club to play in. Hamburg eh, post up if you want an entry on the high break board. http://www.thesnookerforum.com/community/showthread.php?t=579

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/1...abends13iq.jpg Handy for a few World Cup Prelims and a quarter final.
    Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

Hi,
      thanks. Nice pic of Landungsbruecken in our Harbour.
      Here are some 18 Snookertables (0,8 Tables pro 100.000 people statistically seen), so you have to plan your table time carefully. However, I think I'm better off than in less populated areas in Germany, where you have to travel 30-50 km for one.

Comment

getting a snooker league's a distant hope then! just translated Landungsbruecken and it Alta-Vista's Babel fish only says.... Jetties, hardly does it justice.

When Rallick http://www.thesnookerforum.com/commu...mber.php?u=269 was talking about getting a full-size table, he was SO excited that we assumed he meant that he was buying one... turned out that he was just booking one to play on in a club... arrrr, bless him!

We're counting our lucky stars in UK then, we've 12 Clubs in our league and there are other snooker clubs nearby that aren't even in the league.

Would you like your high break up on the board?

ttfn
        Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

Hamburg in fact has a very good and dedicated snookerclub, with ten full size tables well looked after and covered by an english tablefitter.

they have a house/club league that covers all standards of players

I would say, it is one of the top clubs in the country.
          Good clubs/tables are very hard to find, most of the time when you do find a table you got to be lucky, that the cloth ain´t from belgium and it´s the right way round, let alone regularely brushed or ironed.

Jay Jay
          a little Brit German

Comment

Hey JayJay, maybe miscuehamburg's won the lottery recently.... potential (local'ish) investor??? is there a lottery in deutschland, how much do you pay for the snooker? is it per hour after your membership fee type of thing?

Brit of alright.

Comment

An hour of snooker can cost anything from €6 to €8.
              A monthly membership at Hamburg costs around €95 i think, without an hourly rate and 24hour club access for established members.

i managed to get my money for my club, and i am going to be looking at a new dancebar that has gone bust after 3 months, which has enough room to house 10 full size steel blocks

JayJay
              a little Brit German

Comment

congrats about the club, website on the way eh, Ferret stand forward! my 2 clubs are ÂŁ12 & ÂŁ25 pa, from ÂŁ1.5 to ÂŁ4.50 an hour but my 'extra' club is closing soon; new housing estate nearby had a clause to have it shut once they started building.

So you're having 10 tables, must be exciting - lifelong dream for some.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9...rgsmall6xj.jpg
                This Google Earth application is amazing; never knew that Hamburg's so close, less than 450 miles. (no euros and km in my head yet!)

Comment

Opening the club would certainly help me get rid of a lot of things in my head.

Comment

blue sky's on the way then; i'm sure Oscar Wilde would have said something about clouds, the sun & how your height above the ground has a varying affect on perspective..... in a more poetic way of course. what's the post code of the area so we I can have a look at the satellite picture of the area btw.

Comment

my post code is 17033

Comment

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/606/n...denburg5mu.gif
                        Mentions your post code for a wi-fi hotspot in a place called the Billiard Bistro Klax, which just makes you wanna make a pot stop with a few friendly frames, a kalter Pint Bier (cold pint of beer... hopefully) and a munch on something local (apart from red meat which I don't eat... spicy, wholesome & filling will do).

ttfn, LFC in the CL on ITV are calling! good luck, take care. Dave.

Comment

Klax is on its last legs, its a good example of how not to run a business

Comment

Hi,
                            what a traffic in my thread. Nice to see it's going on, even without me.
                            Our biggest club has the disadvantange, that even paying 95,-/month there is no guarantee of any table time at all. Therefore, as the numbers of players are growing rapidly due to the eurosport coverrage, I do not think it's the best choice for a beginner like me. So, I play in the other one and pay 5,-/hour, except once a week when it is free for regulars. I also go to the third one (a joke, it is a single table actually), because it has the newest cloth of all three.
                            What Jay Jay rightly says about the condition of tables here generally, really gets me sad everytime I play on a ruinous table. How can you pot the colors from spots if they actually sit in a deep crater, springing up violently when hit. What about deep scratches in the cloth itself? Not to mention rests with loose heads, leakage in the pocets and so on.
                            However, I really like to play and try to make the best of it. At least I have a good solid cue. I try to add my highest break on the board as next.
                            Bye,
                            m

Comment

If you havn´t been there before it might be worth you popping by on one of the fridays where they do a open house with free play for beginners.

From what I have heard there is little problem with members getting a free table there.

or go to their website http://www.snookerclub-hamburg.de

Comment

Working...
                              X