Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker room summer house

Advice needed!

i am going to put a summerhouse at the bottom of my garden to house a full size snooker table, I have had a look at the room size guides etc

but the closest summerhouse I can find to buy is 6.5m x 4.5

has anyone on here got a table in summerhouse? Or can give me advise?

thanks in advance

I assume you have read the Snooker Shed boog?
    https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...387#post993387
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

No mate, thanks though reading it now

Comment

Adam what is the internal square meterage? How tall is the summer house? Where is it going? You may or may not be aware that buildings that take up more than 30m2 internally or are above 2.5m tall or are closer than 1m to the boundary (if between 15-30m2), will require planning permission and will have to comply with current building regs (they class as a double garage)!... which means a none combustible building (not a wood shed) so brick/block built with tiled roof. I think there’s also a rule about taking up more than a 1/3rd of the garden and it’ll need planning.

Steve

Comment

I only mention this, not to scare you, but at first this was something I didn’t think about. Luckily before I took a spade to the ground I phoned the local council to make sure I’m not in a conservation area, then phoned the planning office to check what does and doesn’t need permission and finally I phoned building control to confirm everything I had been told by planning and to check on the construction of the build.

You wouldn’t believe how the ‘Green-eyed Monsters’ suddenly pop out of the woodwork! About halfway through my shed build, around the time I was about 3k in financially, I had a knock on the door from John from Building Control! “We’ve had a report of a large building being erected in the back garden”....

Thankfully, not only was he more than happy with the build but he was impressed!

It’s always worth being honest and upfront in these situations and getting everyone on side because these are the people who can make you take buildings down!

hope that helps!

Comment

The planning rules are 50% of garden and the 2.5m height close to the fence mentioned. The 30m2 must be something to do with building regs, but sometimes you can avoid this by not connecting to your houses central heating. My building didn't need building regs because I chose to use plug in electric radiators. Lack of central heating means the building won't be classed as habitable, which makes things more straight forward.

Comment

Thanks for I for it’s 6.5 x4.5 so just under 30m2
              height is 2.4m so I think I will be ok??? Not sure though??

i will have electric heaters in there

but any advice you can give me Steve o will happily take,

done a bit of research online but can’t seem to find much info anywhere

yours is looking great, I’m going to get a company to instal table

Comment

Originally Posted by adam2507 View Post
                Thanks for I for it’s 6.5 x4.5 so just under 30m2
                height is 2.4m so I think I will be ok??? Not sure though??

i will have electric heaters in there

but any advice you can give me Steve o will happily take,

done a bit of research online but can’t seem to find much info anywhere

yours is looking great, I’m going to get a company to instal table
                Table is going to be about 3.7 x 1.85m, then you need about 1.5m each side for the length of the cue. You should try and find something about 30cm bigger length and width than the one you found. It doesn't sound like much, but it would make a big difference.

Comment

Thanks I new it would be tight that’s the one I’ve found but asked company if they can make that little bit bigger and awaiting reply,

I thought it would be a lot easier to find company’s that sell rooms for snooker tables but it seems a lot harder to find

Comment

dont know much about these guys, so not a recommendation but may be worth a look at...

https://logcabins.co.uk/mr-os-snooker-room/
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                      The planning rules are 50% of garden and the 2.5m height close to the fence mentioned. The 30m2 must be something to do with building regs, but sometimes you can avoid this by not connecting to your houses central heating. My building didn't need building regs because I chose to use plug in electric radiators. Lack of central heating means the building won't be classed as habitable, which makes things more straight forward.
                      Not sure how the shed is heated matters, building reg only get involved if you have plumbing facilities like a bathroom, or if you plan to put a bedroom in there because it then classes as living accommodation.

I’ll check later today the internal dimensions of mine, you’d be surprised at just how small a space you can fit a table in and still have room to swing the cue! They tend to advise room sizes based on the measurement from the outside edge of the cushion to the wall, but obviously the playing area of the table is some 5/6” shorter and 10/12” overall! The shape of the room is also important because I don’t think the table are perfect rectangles. I’m obviously going to have to go and start measuring!

Comment

This was helpful on my build, it explains the height restrictions depending how close your building is to the boundary. Mine was less than 2meters so I had a max height of 2.5, but you can go to 4m on a pitched roof if over 2m. As I said on my initial reply, your ALWAYS best to phone all of those departments to check and if you can even get it in writing! Those Green-Eyed monsters are watching!
                        https://www.waltons.co.uk/_imagesWT/...-for-sheds.pdf

Comment

Originally Posted by adam2507 View Post
                          Advice needed!

i am going to put a summerhouse at the bottom of my garden to house a full size snooker table, I have had a look at the room size guides etc

but the closest summerhouse I can find to buy is 6.5m x 4.5

has anyone on here got a table in summerhouse? Or can give me advise?

thanks in advance
                          To echo what Mark187187 says

https://www.planningni.gov.uk/index/...structures.htm

As far as size is concerned I would custom build the shed to provide 5ft all around the table
                          Last edited by trying; 7 December 2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

After reading some of the comments I thought it might be worth adding something in.

As regards the up to 30m2 rule I was told by the local authority that this is for permanent structures, Timber framed structures are classed a temporary building and can be as large in floor area as you desire as long as not more than 50% of the original outside area of your plot (not garden).

There were different height restrictions dependant on whether you live in a semi or detached residence and how close you are to a boundary e'g' fence.

We were told by planning that as long as the roof height were under 2.5m to original highest ground level then this would comply even if we were butted up to the fence and as long as no art of the roof was level or overhanging the boundary.

I was originally told the 2.5m was taken from the lowest part of the ground level but when I explained I was on a hill so at the back of the garden (highest part of the hill) I would be on my knees playing a shot they confirmed that they had misunderstood.

Whatever you decide, get it in writing via an email from the local authority so you can refer to it when a neighbour complains.

Even though I think I have ticked all the boxes I will still build the structure in a way next year so if I had to reduce the size to below 30m (which I'm told I won't have to) I could almost unbolt the additional area without a total rebuild, lose the table (and cry) and then turn it into a beautiful workshop.

I don;t envisage this happening but it's a lot of work if it ever had to be pulled about not even mentioning finances!
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by trying View Post

To echo what Mark187187 says

https://www.planningni.gov.uk/index/...structures.htm

As far as size is concerned I would custom build the shed to provide 5ft all around the table
                              That link is the northern ireland regs which are slightly different. The england regs don't mention distance from rear boundaries or anything about keeping pigeons. The link someone gave to the Waltons document is also inaccurate. The permitted development regs in England don't make any reference to 15 or 30 m2 floorspace, that's a building regs provision. The only document you need is the most recent English version of the General Permitted Development Order, which is the 2015 one with amendments. It's available from the government legislation portal. Outbuildings are schedule 2, part 1, class E. I would strongly advise against any guides which aren't this document, or taking advice from anyone who doesn't work in the planning department of your local council. I have worked as a local authority planning officer for over 15 years, and a disproportionately large part of my job is getting people to make work right after a salesman or builder has given incorrect advice.

As someone else mentioned, it's easiest to just phone the council. If you want something formal, apply for a lawful development certificate for about ?150. That will get you paperwork that confirms 100% that what you are doing doesn't need planning permission.

Comment

Working...
                              X