Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to disinfect table cloth (with alcohol based products) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to disinfect table cloth (with alcohol based products) ?

Can a snooker table cloth be disinfected and will it damage the cloth ?

I would not be worried about cloth materials, as it seems the Covid-19 (and many other) virus dries out quickly on absorbant materials.
    I would be more worried about balls and the rails, even then be careful of using to strong a bleach mixture and too runny, we had a table where you could easily see where the cleaner had bleached the rails and it has run into the cloth over the cushions

There are disinfectant sprays that probably will work on the tablecloth but beware of the water content and the bleach content, too much water will damage the cloth; and too much bleach will damage the cloth.

If it was my table, I would not be concerned about disinfecting the cloth
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      I would not be worried about cloth materials, as it seems the Covid-19 (and many other) virus dries out quickly on absorbant materials.
      I would be more worried about balls and the rails, even then be careful of using to strong a bleach mixture and too runny, we had a table where you could easily see where the cleaner had bleached the rails and it has run into the cloth over the cushions

There are disinfectant sprays that probably will work on the tablecloth but beware of the water content and the bleach content, too much water will damage the cloth; and too much bleach will damage the cloth.

If it was my table, I would not be concerned about disinfecting the cloth
      Thanks for such a quick reply!

Unfortunately, I do not have a table of my own. But I do play, or used to, before the pandemic at a private club (members only) with 4 snooker tables and we have about 20 regulars. The issue brought up was that we are unable to sanitize the cloth. Other activities have recommenced but unfortunately snooker still isn’t allowed where I’m from.

Any recommendations on the disinfectant sprays ?

Comment

No idea about disinfectants for a table cloth but my opinion is that life is far more valuable than any game. We can always play once this is over.
        Last edited by fkhan; 21 May 2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I’d also think about getting yourself a set of balls especially if you practice by yourself . I know I’m going to when we reopen . Of course you will still have to wipe them down after if you play with somebody else .

Comment

I wont recommend and sprays myself.
            If the tables can not or are not disinfected then I would use the current standard deterrents - wash hands regularly, if you have access to high-alcohol content hand washes, DO NOT touch your face/nose/mouth/eyes

Remember, you do not Covid-19 from just touching surfaces but from transferring the virus to your mouth/nose/eyes.
            When I am playing to tend to consciously not touch my face anyway because of the chalk dust

If you find anything that is up to you and you members.
            Maybe getting high alcohol hand wash - the type that evaporate and does not need washing off dispensers by the tables and around the club maybe a better and easier idea

Where is this club anyway?
            or is it a secret?

Comment

Couldn't you just quickly run the iron over the cloth? Got to be quicker than making the cloth wet and waiting for it to dry again

Comment

That’s a great idea regarding the hand sanitizers around the tables. I wonder if any clubs will bring that in as a measure.

It’s a measure London Underground have bought in at the entrance to stations .

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                  Couldn't you just quickly run the iron over the cloth? Got to be quicker than making the cloth wet and waiting for it to dry again
                  from what I have read the virus can survive over 70C temps for long time, much longer than a table iron is over a single point on the cloth
                  I don't know how hot you will need to be and for how long to be in place to kill the virus and how hot the iron has to be to transfer that amount of heat?
                  This is an idea though, and of course,as we all know, regular ironing of the cloth is great for performance

Comment

I wont recommend and sprays myself.
                    If the tables can not or are not disinfected then I would use the current standard deterrents - wash hands regularly, if you have access to high-alcohol content hand washes, DO NOT touch your face/nose/mouth/eyes

Remember, you do not Covid-19 from just touching surfaces but from transferring the virus to your mouth/nose/eyes.
                    When I am playing to tend to consciously not touch my face anyway because of the chalk dust

If you find anything that is up to you and you members.
                    Maybe getting high alcohol hand wash - the type that evaporate and does not need washing off dispensers by the tables and around the club maybe a better and easier idea

Where is this club anyway?
                    or is it a secret?
                    I’m from Malaysia. Definitely not a secret underground club !! But we do follow our local guidelines down to the letter !

For snooker, I think the main concern is that when we get down on a shot, we do breathe right over the cloth and that may lead to the transmission of the virus. Disinfecting the cloth may be the best solution when it comes to a shared table.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                      If that proves effective, it would be a great solution for us to get some table time.

Comment

Originally Posted by chiider View Post

I’m from Malaysia. Definitely not a secret underground club !! But we do follow our local guidelines down to the letter !

For snooker, I think the main concern is that when we get down on a shot, we do breathe right over the cloth and that may lead to the transmission of the virus. Disinfecting the cloth may be the best solution when it comes to a shared table.
                        Malaysia!
                        private club - you lucky so-and-so
                        let me just ask -
                        do you mean to disinfect the cloth between players' turns?
                        do you mean to iron the table between players' turns?
                        I doubt it - :wink:
                        I think hand sanitisers would be better, each player can disinfect their hands after their turn while the opponent is at the table.
                        And remember not to touch your face at anytime

Comment

Malaysia!
                          private club - you lucky so-and-so
                          let me just ask -
                          do you mean to disinfect the cloth between players' turns?
                          do you mean to iron the table between players' turns?
                          I doubt it - :wink:
                          I think hand sanitisers would be better, each player can disinfect their hands after their turn while the opponent is at the table.
                          And remember not to touch your face at anytime
                          I meant to disinfect regularly (maybe once/twice a day or between sessions) ... not between players turns.

Hand sanitizers are definitely important. Hopefully some SOP’s can be put in place with regards to snooker soon. That way we can all get back to the table.

Comment

If the scientists can't find a vaccinne then we're all going to have to put up with this virus and just use our common sense to wash hands more often, stay at home when ill and simply get on with life and accept our mortality

If I was one of the fascist/illuminati secret society 1%'er sociopaths who run this world's economy and decided to de-populate the planet in order to save it and my future dynasty then this virus would be perfect to rid the world of those who do not contribute to my wealth. If it can't be cured with a vaccinne it will kill most of the old, the sick, the infirm, the mentally and physically disabled (those who live in any type of care home), most diconscerting of all those with dark skin are more susceptible, hardly touches children so they can grow to be the workers and soldiers who keep me rich and protect my wealth.

Am I just a cynical conspirancy theorist, this virus seems to be targeting who the fascists feel are not contributing, those labelled a 'drain on society', a little too perfect for their needs; remember they practised eugenics in the '30's and their scientists have continued to create bio weapons for over a hundred years and can always find a sociopathic right wing latent homosexual submissive to do their bidding, the military are full of them, they'll kill anyone and everyone they're ordered to.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Just a follow up. Came across this video.

https://www.facebook.com/65459855167...92811689/?vh=e

Comment

Working...
                              X