The Final!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final!

Carrying out my nominated duty, so here we are.

Hope it's a good match and young Jack doesn't get overwhelmed.

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

I usually tended to think that such a all-around well composed player usually should be favourite against the style Lisowski plays. But Selby during the last seasons was always on the losing end, when playing Trump and also always had difficulties playing his opponent of today, so this clearly says that it isn't that easy. Of course Selby wasn't at his best in those matches, but he still isn't and Lisowski was playing very well this week. I still think that Selby will give Lisowski less chances and he should dictate the safety exchanges. Also the three times world champion has a splendid record in finals over the past years, winning 13 of his last 14. I hope and think Lisowski will finally win a ranking title, but not today.

Comment

As I said last night, I think a reality check might be coming today. I'm hoping for a great final, and hopefully a 9-8 midnight finish, but I'm going with Selby to win 9-4. :smile:

Comment

Selby really needs to work on his break-off shot, he tends to leave an easy one nowadays.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Selby really needs to work on his break-off shot, he tends to leave an easy one nowadays.
          I noticed this as well.
          Generally his safety game is one or two levels beneath where it was in his prime.

Comment

Torturer beginning to turn the screw now

Comment

Selby leads 5-3 after the first session. That eight frames were about what I expected. Good start by Lisowski, but couldn't keep up the potting over the whole afternoon. But he's still in striking distance.

Comment

What a poor miss to the middle by Lisowski , should have levelled the match
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

#17 for Mark. Congratulations.

Sad for Jack, again missing a title. But I'm sure the occasion will come. Hopefully he stays true to the words he just spoke and takes one or two pages of Selby's playbook. I think at some moments in those tournament, also in the final, he was already way more patient.

Comment

Quite an enjoyable final in the end. No midnight finish, but it did go a little bit closer than I expected. :smile:

Good to see Lisowski in the final again, his first result of note since the China Open final in April. When I looked through the Masters draw last week, Lisowski stood out to me immediately as someone who didn't really belong in that class of players, having gone out in the early rounds of every tournament this season, but this week he made a big step towards improving that impression. Good to see him holding his own against Selby in a two-session match as well, although he obviously still lacks some tactical awareness to be able to compete fully. I do hope he is one of those players who are able to work on their weaknesses, because he is 28 now and hasn't really done that yet. Kind of like Luca Brecel I suppose. All that said, I still had to cringe when Selby described him as "probably the second most talented player I've ever seen, behind Ronnie". Come on, that's just idiotic.

Good to see Selby winning again. Two titles in half a season is a big improvement, even if they are not the most prestigious tournaments. It's funny how they kept reminding us Selby is the first player to win two Home Nations events in the same season, as if the players actually target those once they've already missed out on the 1 million bonus. :wink: Anyway, hopefully we see more of the same from Selby for the rest of the season. Trump looked almost invincible a few weeks ago, but suddenly other players are raising their games as well. Good to see. :smile:

Comment

Selby can only win one way and that is to bog down his opponent. He doesn't play a nice game at all. Proper frame spoiler he is. Not nice to watch
                      Maximus Legend Plus : Ebony butt with Ovangkol front wedge and thick maple veneer : Premium ash shaft : Tip 9.45 mm Talisman Trinity Soft, length 58″, weight 18.4 oz, butt diameter 29.4 mm, balance 18″

Comment

If Lisowski is 2nd behind Ronnie then I reckon that puts me at least 4th or 5th!

Comment

Originally Posted by sk1nnym0nkey View Post
                          Selby can only win one way and that is to bog down his opponent. He doesn't play a nice game at all. Proper frame spoiler he is. Not nice to watch
                          I mean he knocks in century after century so i'd re-evaluate your comment
                          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by sk1nnym0nkey View Post
                            I'm not a fan of Selby, but you can't fault his determination and matchplay.
                            John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

He's good to watch when he's flowing. But more than not he's a frame spoiler
                              Maximus Legend Plus : Ebony butt with Ovangkol front wedge and thick maple veneer : Premium ash shaft : Tip 9.45 mm Talisman Trinity Soft, length 58″, weight 18.4 oz, butt diameter 29.4 mm, balance 18″

Comment

Working...
                              X