2020 Masters - SF discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Masters - SF discussion

Okay, semi-finals day is here... Probably one of the most unexpected line-ups we've ever had at the Masters, with all the players ranked in the bottom half of the top16, but it should still produce some exciting snooker. :smile:

Shaun Murphy v. Ali Carter: Murphy is the only semi-finalist who has won a big title in recent times, along with another couple of big finals in China, which should make him the man to beat here. For Carter, the semi-finals of the Masters will be a new experience. It's funny, he never reached this stage back when he was a tournament winner and a solid top16 player, but he does it now when he would have missed the tournament if O'Sullivan had taken part. :smile: These two players have actually had quite a rivalry over the years, with Carter more than holding his own (perhaps he is even on top when it comes to the really big matches), but at this point in time Murphy has to be considered the stronger player. Murphy to win 6-4.

David Gilbert v. Stuart Bingham: No matches at the business end of any tournament between these two, but the telling statistic is that Gilbert has never beaten Bingham, not even in the short format, even though they've played each other plenty of times. Obviously Bingham is the bigger name and the proven champion in this pairing, but if we just go by this season's results, Gilbert has to be the favourite. I think everyone would like to see him win a big tournament soon, simply because he has been playing such good snooker for quite some time now. He has been really close a number of times now, and in proper tournaments as well, not just the short-format stuff that often sees less prominent players doing well. He has also been very convincing so far this week, never letting either of his previous opponents get anywhere close to him. I will go against the head-to-head here and predict Gilbert to win, 6-3.

Should be a good day. :smile:

There actually have been many surprises at the Masters, which totally makes sense, cause it only takes two wins to get into the semifinals (and even only four wins for the title), but even for that standard, this is one of the most, well maybe not even surprising, but let's call it line-up with less prestigious names among them. Cause that's the other side of that format (which I never liked much anyways): There are only 16 top players competing here, so the biggest percentage of the whole participants are already prestigious names.

But yeah, I don't see Carter beating Murphy, unless he lifts his level significantly.

Think the other match should be very close, but Gilbert impressed me quite a lot so far and I'll make him my pick as well despite the lopsided head-to-head.

Comment

Switched off already, this tournament seems to have Carter's name all over it, Shaun's been poor so far. Sums up what has been one of the poorest Masters of all time - BBC commentary poor, referring awful, and standard of play dreadful

Comment

Originally Posted by barrysnookerfan1985 View Post
        Shaun's been poor so far.
        ...but then Bingham was poor early on last night and see what happened there
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

And Murphy makes another almighty cock-up, he is nothing but a bottle job, just give the trophy to Carter now and let's all go home

Comment

And Murphy makes another almighty cock-up, he is nothing but a bottle job, just give the trophy to Carter now and let's all go home
            Yeah, let's not give the trophy to Carter until he plays to the standard that Gilbert has shown this week. I actually think Carter would start the final as the underdog whatever happens. :smile:

Comment

Another good win for Carter then... Definitely didn't expect to see him in the final, and it's not like he had an easy draw either. :smile:

Comment

oh bugger
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That’s two matches where I’m not proud to say the pleasure of the result didn’t come from seeing a player win, but seeing a player lose. Wilson last night and Murphy today.
                  "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Oh, and now that the tournament’s almost over, I just wanted to say the winner of current walk-on songs goes to John Higgins

"Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

So how did Murphy lose today? Classical Murphy alas playing without safety, missing long pots and gifting chances?

Comment

Gilbert has embarrassed himself tonight, surely match over. Bingham v Carter in what will probably be the worst final in many years, two turgid players, no thanks. A dreadful final to end an awful tournament

Comment

Gilbert has embarrassed himself tonight, surely match over. Bingham v Carter in what will probably be the worst final in many years, two turgid players, no thanks. A dreadful final to end an awful tournament
                          You know we're not even halfway through the match, right? 3-1 is the closest possible result you can have at the mid-session interval unless it's dead level. :smile:

Comment

I had to laugh listening to Gilbert’s wife during that little piece there, when she was talking about how close he’d come to reaching the WC final last year. “Yeah it would’ve been nice. A hundred grand, you know, we could have got a little bit more done on the extension...”

A little bit more! Just how friggin big is this extension??

Comment

Very sad to see Gilbert in yet another very one sided match after progressing to this stage so well. Ain't over till its over but a huge deficit to overcome now .:concern:
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                              X