Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Masters - Final discussion

Okay, only the final remains...

In the context of these two players' careers, having them meet in the Masters final is not anything unusual, but in the context of recent results it's not the pairing we expected, and probably not a pairing many people wanted either. They've both played well to get here, but it's probably fair to say that none of their opponents played anywhere near their best, so they didn't need to do produce anything special to reach this final. It's not been the most exciting Masters in terms of close matches and standard of play, so I'm hoping the final genuinely ends up being the highlight of the week. As for who is going to win, I think it's an extremely close call. Bingham is the better player at this point in time, but not by a lot. He's also won the last few big matches between them, while Carter has the edge in the head-to-head throughout their career. I don't know... Bingham to win 10-9?

10-9 - you may get your midnight finish then
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yeah, I think Ali profited from the shorter format in both his matches so far, he was able to get over the line because of his grittiness. This is taken away now.

Stu is the more likely to benefit from the BO19 IMHO. Though I felt he was already choking a bit yesterday, he loosened up a lot coming back on Wilson the way he did and he still will draw confidence from that.
      I'm sure he would love to validate his world title by winning another BBC event, kind of like every one-time world champion wants, I guess...

I really hope Ali can up his standard a bit and rise to the occasion. This may be his last chance to add a biggie to his resume and what a story this would be, considering everything life threw at him over the years and of all inheriting his place in the Masters from the one player he lost his two world finals to.

And maybe, just maybe he will be a less angry man once he achieved that...
      "That pocket moved!"

Comment

Stuart you must win this ……..I beg you
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Starting with a 126 could be considered an "upped" standard...
          "That pocket moved!"

Comment

Really huge match for both of them, cause both of them haven't been to a lot of finals of big events.
            Bingham was considered a journeyman for the biggest part of his career, now he could add the Masters Trophy to his World Championship title.
            Carter has two World Finals, but still misses that big title (has World Open and Shanghai Masters, but that's it).

Both will love to take the chance. Also have heard rumors the two are not exactly the best friends (anybody knows more to this?), so that might add some extra spice to this.

Expect this pretty close over the whole course. 10-8 to Carter I say.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              10-9 - you may get your midnight finish then
              Would be nice. :smile: Although I might have to watch it with an hour's delay anyway, which makes the midnight finish almost inevitable. :smile:

Comment

now I don't mind loosening the tie and undoing the top button - I do it all the time; but for heavens sake straighten the tie!
                :wink:

edit; it does look like he has done it deliberately as the cue runs exactly where it would be if straight - darn it! :wink:
                Last edited by DeanH; 19 January 2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Ballrun!
                  "That pocket moved!"

Comment

Enjoyable session
                    Mr Angry shaking his head as he walks out

Comment

5-3 with Bingham winning both of those really long and tense frames. That's basically all there was between them.

It's not a big gap if Carter makes a few quick breaks tonight, but tougher to close it if it turns out to be a bit of a grind. :smile:

Comment

OMG that yellow and the position off it was ridiculously lucky. You can't play against that....

They dont call call him "Ball run" for nothing do they. Just Jaw dropping luck there....
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                          5-3 with Bingham winning both of those really long and tense frames. That's basically all there was between them.

It's not a big gap if Carter makes a few quick breaks tonight, but tougher to close it if it turns out to be a bit of a grind. :smile:
                          At least the applause may reach a crescendo on this Starry night.
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

The horror. :smile:

Comment

Have my traditional 4 cans of Guinness in the fridge ready for tonight and hoping it's a memorable one. It's about time the 1985 world championship final black had something to rival it. Not starting work until lunchtime tomorrow so a late finish will suit me and have a few cans of lager in reserve. They have both been edgy this week and shown their nerves but of the two I think Ali could hold it together better if the scoreline remains close. Would love to see Ali lift the trophy but Bingham is also a sound bloke so can't choose a favourite to win.
                              www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Working...
                              X