Cancellation/ Closed Doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancellation/ Closed Doors

Surely they won't play it behind closed doors if push comes to shove over the coronavirus. Would the players really be up for it in a zero atmosphere arena? I'd rather it was moved to later in the year but that might be easier said than done. Fingers crossed it goes ahead as normal, we shall see.
    Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy, Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy :snooker:

I think the next few months will be interesting for all sports, Shows, Concerts and any public gatherings.

It will be interesting to see how each of these annual events are handled whether they are cancelled, postponed or played behind closed doors.

Either way, it will be tough times for a while.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

...most of us never realize how basically any public gathering always is like a gigantic germ incubator. Every year literally thousands die because of this.

But nowadays people clearly rank personal fun over prudence or perception of risk for others. Maybe this corona thing might help to change that perception a bit... I'd welcome this.

"That pocket moved!"

Comment

Any sporting events under 1000 spectators will go ahead. Here's hoping!.

Comment

Crucible has 1,200 seats does it not IIRC?
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

There is no chance in hell that the tournament will go ahead with spectators allowed as normal. That would be incredibly irresponsible or even borderline criminal in the current situation.

The problem is that the Crucible is not really available to hold a snooker event outside of this April slot, so it might be a struggle to postpone it. Empty arena would suck, but I think it's still better than not having the event at all.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
              There is no chance in hell that the tournament will go ahead with spectators allowed as normal. That would be incredibly irresponsible or even borderline criminal in the current situation.

The problem is that the Crucible is not really available to hold a snooker event outside of this April slot, so it might be a struggle to postpone it. Empty arena would suck, but I think it's still better than not having the event at all.
              Would make refs job easier , no rowdies in audience to quell but zero atmosphere

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                Crucible has 1,200 seats does it not IIRC?
                I always thought it was under 1,000. There's a seating plan on google images which shows all the seats. I used to use this when booking so I could make sure I got a good view. What I don't know is how many seats are up in the balcony areas which are reserved for guests of the players. Few dozen I expect. Also I seem to remember there was talk of adding a couple of extra rows up the back.
                Just for info ticket prices used to be the same for Row A as for Row Z rite at the back. Now you've got to pay nearly 100 quid to get down the front! 40 quid for up the back.

Comment

Behind closed doors would be fine with me, no drunks, no usual suspects sitting there looking smug :grey:, no mobile phones playing a fandango and take out the first two rows of seats to give the players enough room to sit apart as well. What about canned applause with Darren Morgan and Stephen Hendry fighting over the button
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                    Behind closed doors would be fine with me, no drunks, no usual suspects sitting there looking smug :grey:, no mobile phones playing a fandango and take out the first two rows of seats to give the players enough room to sit apart as well. What about canned applause with Darren Morgan and Stephen Hendry fighting over the button
                    If I didn't have tickets I might not be so bothered. Would be weird though, even watching on telly.

Comment

latest from WST 13:09 today
                      "As it stands, our intention is that our upcoming events will go ahead as planned. This includes next week’s Tour Championship in Llandudno, and the World Championship in Sheffield. However we must consider all scenarios and we will follow government advice. The health and safety of our fans, players and staff is of course our priority."
                      https://wst.tv/wst-statement/

Comment

Let's hope it is happening...i booked 10 days off from work to watch

Comment

Looks like I'll be home for the next couple of weeks. In Slovenia, school has been suspended, people have been instructed to work from home where possible, and all non-essential stores and services have been closed. People are advised to stay home and try to limit contact with one another as much as possible. Life has essentially stopped, in an attempt to slow the virus down and not let it overwhelm the healthcare system like it's done in Italy.

From what I've read online, there has been a similar response in a lot of European countries this week. Judging by the WST statement above, it seems like the UK is a few days behind at this point, where the prospect of holding sporting events still seems realistic. I fully expect reality to hit and the Tour Championship to be cancelled though, so there might not be any snooker to pass the time.

Comment

Gibralter now behind closed doors.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              Gibralter now behind closed doors.
                              Still on telly I'm guessing.

Comment

Working...
                              X