Qualifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualifying

Fkhan posted this already in the cancellation thread, but I think this deserves it's own thread.

https://wst.tv/eis-sheffield-to-host...-championship/

Qualifying will be held from 21st to 28th of July in Sheffield.
    There will be a new structure, which is a bit reminiscent of how the qualifiers were in earlier years.

Qualifying will consist of 4 rounds.

Round 1 (Best-of-11):
    Includes: Players ranked 81-128 as well as the 16 players invited by the WPBSA.

Round 2 (Best-of-11):
    32 winners of round 1 will play the players ranked 49-80.

Round 3 (Best-of-11):
    32 winners of round 2 will play the players ranked 17-48.

Round 4 (Best-of-19):
    32 winners of round 3 will play each other. The 16 winners will qualify for the World Championship.

Thanks Jim. Been waiting on this being announced. Fingers crossed it’s shown on the Eurosport Player. It was last year.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
      Fkhan posted this already in the cancellation thread, but I think this deserves it's own thread.

https://wst.tv/eis-sheffield-to-host...-championship/

Qualifying will be held from 21st to 28th of July in Sheffield.
      There will be a new structure, which is a bit reminiscent of how the qualifiers were in earlier years.

Qualifying will consist of 4 rounds.

Round 1 (Best-of-11):
      Includes: Players ranked 81-128 as well as the 16 players invited by the WPBSA.

Round 2 (Best-of-11):
      32 winners of round 1 will play the players ranked 49-80.

Round 3 (Best-of-11):
      32 winners of round 2 will play the players ranked 17-48.

Round 4 (Best-of-19):
      32 winners of round 3 will play each other. The 16 winners will qualify for the World Championship.
      Why are the first 3 qualifying rounds best of 11 frames, when it as been best of 19 for all these years, is it because of Covid 19 pandemic and the government rules, or as Barry Hearn made a decision to change from all qualifying matches from best of 19 to best of 11. I though Barry said he would not change the format of the World Championships when he first took over, don't get me wrong he does a brilliant job and World snooker as come along way since he and Jason Ferguson took over.

Also who is gonna to replace Peter Ebdon in the qualifying draw because he as now officially retired and will not be playing in the World qualifiers.
      Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

I believe I read somewhere it is so the R1-R3 matches can be completed in a day, less people around at any one time, etc.
        Purely for Covid-19 purposes I think.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          I believe I read somewhere it is so the R1-R3 matches can be completed in a day, less people around at any one time, etc.
          I have just seen it on World snooker seams you are right, hopefully all world championship matches will be back to the normal best of 19 frames again next year for the 2021 World championship qualifiers.

Comment

I didn't read this, but this is what I would have supposed as the reason.

Comment

So when does the televised part start, and have there been any developments on whether a restricted crowd / proper studio set-up will be allowed by then? The thought of the WC being broadcast in the same way the recent Matchroom tournament was fills me with despair.
              "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                So when does the televised part start, and have there been any developments on whether a restricted crowd / proper studio set-up will be allowed by then? The thought of the WC being broadcast in the same way the recent Matchroom tournament was fills me with despair.
                Billy, World Championship proper starts July 31st for 17 days. Haven’t heard anything but assume BBC TV will provide full coverage. Afraid to say that it’s likely to be broadcast in a similar way to the Matchroom tournament. Perhaps the social distancing rules will be relaxed a bit more by then but I can’t see a 1’000 capacity crowd being allowed.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post

Billy, World Championship proper starts July 31st for 17 days. Haven’t heard anything but assume BBC TV will provide full coverage. Afraid to say that it’s likely to be broadcast in a similar way to the Matchroom tournament. Perhaps the social distancing rules will be relaxed a bit more by then but I can’t see a 1’000 capacity crowd being allowed.
                  17 days? Is that the norm for the tv stages?

Anyway I expected more of the same, ala Matchroom coverage. I suppose it was a hope more than anything.
                  "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post

17 days? Is that the norm for the tv stages?
                    Anyway I expected more of the same, ala Matchroom coverage. I suppose it was a hope more than anything.
                    Yes 17 days is the norm. Used to start on a Saturday at 10.00 am with the defending champion first on. Finished on the May Bank Holiday 17 days later. Hazel Irvine etc covering the between match discussion from the Winter Gardens which is a short walk from The Crucible.

Comment

Would have been nice for The World Championship to be played between Saturday 13th August - Monday 29th August, then final would have been played on the traditional Bank Holiday Monday, with the qualifiers taking place from the 3 - 10 August, But I suppose these may have been the only available dates for The Crucible at the time and also so that the new snooker season could start on time. But At least it's going ahead and as not been cancelled or abandoned.
                      Last edited by Mr Snooker; 18 June 2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
                        Hazel Irvine etc covering the between match discussion from the Winter Gardens which is a short walk from The Crucible.
                        Oh I’m very familiar with the BBC’s coverage, just I’d always thought it was a ‘fortnight of coverage.’

Comment

Any guesses who would win this time?

Comment

Just read that Marco Fu has withdrawn from the WSC
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Just read that Marco Fu has withdrawn from the WSC
                              He said that it was due to covid-19 safety issues.
                              Last edited by fkhan; 18 June 2020, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X