Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invitational tour card for Stephen Hendry

https://wst.tv/king-of-the-crucible-hendry-returns/

So Barry Hearn finally managed to talk Stephen Hendry into it....

What do we think about that?
    "That pocket moved!"

I think it’s great! He’s obviously rediscovered some passion for the game which could make him dangerous if he can find some of his old form. As Ronnie has already stated, there just doesn’t seem to be the high level of players coming through so maybe he fancies his chances of cashing in before it’s too late??

Comment

Shocking and I'm a massive fan. If he's good enough go to cue school and qualify.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

The GOAT, i'm so glad he's getting back on the tour I just fear he'll not do himself any justice. I'm hoping he can put something together in the shorter format comps, I think that's where his opportunity lies.
        Also with snooker i'm really starting to think age is just a number, if he's got the hunger and desire he's a dangerous beast and there will be players on tour s**t scared of his reputation still.
        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          Shocking and I'm a massive fan. If he's good enough go to cue school and qualify.
          i've met him , what i deducted is that he likes to roll with this elitist thing that pro snooker should be out of bounds to the common man in the street so i doubt he'd be seen at the q school even if he wanted to come back and wst wouldn't give him a tour card , all this wouldn't be an issue if entry onto the tour was just a matter of an entry fee to all , i think the class of 91 paid ? 700 to get on tour then without having to win any qualifying matches , should be the same now of course adding inflation or a bit more because there's more tournaments now , pro snooker is essentially all about money anyway , just do away with the pretence imo .
          Last edited by trains; 2 September 2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

For me, it turns it into a circus, it's embarrassing watching Jimmy White, it's going to be worse watching Hendry. I'm really surprised he would lower himself to taking a hand out and not earn anything on merit. Saying that if what Trains says is true maybe it's not such a shock. I know a few people who have met Hendry and to put it diplomatically he wasn't exactly a people person.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              For me, it turns it into a circus, it's embarrassing watching Jimmy White, it's going to be worse watching Hendry. I'm really surprised he would lower himself to taking a hand out and not earn anything on merit. Saying that if what Trains says is true maybe it's not such a shock. I know a few people who have met Hendry and to put it diplomatically he wasn't exactly a people person.
              I've met and played him and had him give me advice when he was watching his nephew play against me up in preston and to be honest he was very friendly, had plenty of time for a chat and was likeable.
              If you read his book he makes no bones about being a quiet, shy character and I think that's just his way of doing things.

As for the handout, he's our game's greatest ever winner, he deserves it more than anybody else, good luck to him.
              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Don’t suppose he’s making a comeback cos he’s skint? Surely not.

Comment

Has it got anything to do with Ronnie winning his 6th title?

Comment

I haven’t got any strong feelings either way but there is no denying it will be interesting to see to what standard he can play at now that he is committed. I saw flashes of the old Hendry in the Seniors but the consistency wasn’t there which could be an age thing( tell me about it ) or lack of match practice .

Hendry in his prime didn’t mix with other players and gave out an air of superiority . It was his decision to do that and it worked until he started mixing with players socially and his game suffered.

If anyone has the right to be pompous it’s him given everything he has achieved in the game although he doesn’t come across like that nowadays.

Comment

There is no way he would return to the game unless he can compete .......will be interesting.
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

I've met and played him and had him give me advice when he was watching his nephew play against me up in preston and to be honest he was very friendly, had plenty of time for a chat and was likeable.
                        If you read his book he makes no bones about being a quiet, shy character and I think that's just his way of doing things.

As for the handout, he's our game's greatest ever winner, he deserves it more than anybody else, good luck to him.
                        To be fair Tom, they could have caught him on a bad day, we all have them. I believe in a meritocracy, he is taking a place on the tour from someone who could have earned it. I had the same opinion when Jimmy and Ken got their gift cards. I could just about get away with him having a play off against the 128 ranked player or the last qualifier from QSchool , if he could beat them , then just about fair enough, you could kid yourself on he's earned it. If he embarrasses himself, it will be a shame and will detract from his legacy for me, he's had his day, just stay retired, the game had just about left him behind before he retired, he won't compete now.
                        p.s it wasn't Jason T you were playing was it ?

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this... sure it will be great to watch the fiercest predator to ever play the game compete again but I just don't see him living up to what always drove him: his ambition to be the best, to punish opponents as hard as he can as soon as they show any sign of weakness.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I cannot imagine Stephen Hendry re-entering the tour just for the fun of it...
                          "That pocket moved!"

Comment

Iv'e met Hendry a few times when I used to photograph a few of the tournements in the late 90's early 2000's ,always a nice guy and would be around to do the shots with various people ,that aside I don't think he's got it any more ,he was pretty much gone years before he retired .Watching him play White in the Seniors was painful ,he just missed too much and position was terrible .When he's in the balls he looks great but I think he will regret coming back .

Comment

This is fantastic news and I'll be cheering him on. It also comes at an interesting time and I wonder if Stephen is thinking he could improve his stats just a little more. I know Hendry has always seemed aloof and he says himself that he always distanced himself from other players because it was all down to business and it paid off. I can't see anyone else ever winning more than five world titles in a row like Hendry has achieved and he was like a robot but because he was private he wasn't always the most popular so it must have felt like the room was always on his opponents side. I always admired how he could ignore all of that and knock in century after century. He had the perfect game and hopefully there will be some Hendry - Higgins matches coming up.

I wonder how it affects his commitments with the BBC and other broadcasters. I would hope he is going the whole hog and cancelling all other work and focusing on practice and match preparation. His long game is probably not as good as it was so I hope to see him playing more safety play instead of looking for a long pot.
                              www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Working...
                              X