Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

That’s very interesting Mark .

Just out of interest , did you go on to have a career in music ?
    No, not really. The same as happens with a lot of kids who are pushed one way or another because they are talented, I had pretty much lost interest by the time I finished school. Probably spent more time drinking and playing snooker than I did practicing. Even through university, I wasn't really into it anymore. I picked it up again (violin) when I was around 30. I'd always wanted to play soloist with an orchestra, and I spent 2 years working to get good enough again. Played the concert, and have only played 2 or 3 times in the 7 or 8 years since. I fractured my hand a few years ago which makes it difficult anyway, but I play bass guitar now, which is fun and I don't have the same expectations, and I can jam with my son who plays guitar and my wife who sings professionally

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

No, not really. The same as happens with a lot of kids who are pushed one way or another because they are talented, I had pretty much lost interest by the time I finished school. Probably spent more time drinking and playing snooker than I did practicing. Even through university, I wasn't really into it anymore. I picked it up again (violin) when I was around 30. I'd always wanted to play soloist with an orchestra, and I spent 2 years working to get good enough again. Played the concert, and have only played 2 or 3 times in the 7 or 8 years since. I fractured my hand a few years ago which makes it difficult anyway, but I play bass guitar now, which is fun and I don't have the same expectations, and I can jam with my son who plays guitar and my wife who sings professionally
      Thanks Mark

You sound like the modern day version of the Von Trapps

There is definitely a balance between being a pushy parent and those that have nobody on their side. Too much one way and they lose interest and not enough and they lose their way .I guess it also depends on the individual .
      Interesting that you set yourself a goal , achieved it and didn’t carry on.
      Sounds like you had a good time at Uni anyway

Comment

OT, I just bought my daughter a Gretsch G2220 bass For her birthday, nice little guitar. She just gave her old one to the school as it had a few faults, she plays in an all girl band (when they manage to practice) got a few summer gigs coming up, they've missed out on so much this last year, so I hope they have fun.

I've never pushed her with music, she plays piano and a six string too. God knows where her talents comes from, I love music but have zero talent myself.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

Thanks Mark

You sound like the modern day version of the Von Trapps

There is definitely a balance between being a pushy parent and those that have nobody on their side. Too much one way and they lose interest and not enough and they lose their way .I guess it also depends on the individual .
          Interesting that you set yourself a goal , achieved it and didn’t carry on.
          Sounds like you had a good time at Uni anyway
          We've gone the other way. My son choses when he practices, and there's no pressure on him to do any exams or anything. Helps that my brother-in-law works at Fender, so we have been able to kit him out at cost price (and pick up all my gear at about 1/3rd retail). Decent violin starts at 5k though, and the decent teachers start at about ?60 an hour, so I get why parents push you when there's that kind of investment. It's a bit like all the kids at football academies from age 6. Majority probably won't ever play again once they hit their teens and discover girls. Maybe it's something similar with some of the young chinese snooker players, who seem to stop improving and pushing on once they get into their mid 20s

With the stopping again after achieving my goal, that was partly the timing. Music at that level means minimum 3 hours practice a day, and I had 2 young kids around that time or shortly after, so less time and less time when I could make noise. Few years passed without really noticing, and now it would take a huge amount of work to get back up to speed. Once you get to a certain age, it takes a massive commitment to practice music or sport, as well as doing the family thing and holding down a job. These guys in their 30s and 40s at Q School deserve a huge amount of respect
          Last edited by Mark187187; 10 June 2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

We've gone the other way. My son choses when he practices, and there's no pressure on him to do any exams or anything. Helps that my brother-in-law works at Fender, so we have been able to kit him out at cost price (and pick up all my gear at about 1/3rd retail). Decent violin starts at 5k though, and the decent teachers start at about ?60 an hour, so I get why parents push you when there's that kind of investment. It's a bit like all the kids at football academies from age 6. Majority probably won't ever play again once they hit their teens and discover girls. Maybe it's something similar with some of the young chinese snooker players, who seem to stop improving and pushing on once they get into their mid 20s

With the stopping again after achieving my goal, that was partly the timing. Music at that level means minimum 3 hours practice a day, and I had 2 young kids around that time or shortly after, so less time and less time when I could make noise. Few years passed without really noticing, and now it would take a huge amount of work to get back up to speed. Once you get to a certain age, it takes a massive commitment to practice music or sport, as well as doing the family thing and holding down a job. These guys in their 30s and 40s at Q School deserve a huge amount of respect
            Sounds like you’ve got the right balance with your son.

I agree about commitment when your older . I’m finding it hard to just squeeze in three days a week practicing with job and and family so hats off to those guys trying to turn pro.

Saying that I’m just about to go and get in 5 hours practice

Comment

Originally Posted by balkend View Post

The Robinsons Jar label lunatic ( either white or black version) will be chuffed
              that’s a bit harsh!

Comment

Tony Knowles goes matching on ..........shocking result for Sean O’Sullivan .

very impressive 4 frames by Ian Burns , excellent scoring
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Ross Muir out. Shame he looked to be playing well based on the breaks he was knocking in. Guy he was playing, Nasir, had an ast of over 37 seconds so maybe Ross just couldn’t get any rhythm going.

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post

that’s a bit harsh!
                    Has your Dad worked out that you've hijacked his account yet?
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
                      Ross Muir out. Shame he looked to be playing well based on the breaks he was knocking in. Guy he was playing, Nasir, had an ast of over 37 seconds so maybe Ross just couldn’t get any rhythm going.
                      Thought Ross would get through, seemed to mix some great performances with some not so good, I suppose it's consistency that's more important.
                      Wasn't a great day for the Scottish players from what I saw.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Tony Knowles playing Mark Lloyd next and if he beats Lloyd its only 2 more hurdles for him to jump. If Knowles gets his card at age 65 it will be a fair achievement and will cause a bit of a stir !

Comment

Originally Posted by balkend View Post
                          Tony Knowles playing Mark Lloyd next and if he beats Lloyd its only 2 more hurdles for him to jump. If Knowles gets his card at age 65 it will be a fair achievement and will cause a bit of a stir !
                          Knowles seems to be a defensive player now so it would be interesting to see him qualify as he could win quite a few matches on tour playing that way , Mark Lloyd just beat Paul Davison 4 - 0 so perfectly conceivable he could beat Knowles too , but yes i'd like to see Knowles qualify particularly as he looks out of getting anywhere via the order of merit.

Comment

Good luck to Tony Knowles, I thought he had literally no chance after watching him play Jimmy White in the seniors, but his results speak for themselve. You don't keep winning matches unless you are doing something right.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Thought Ross would get through, seemed to mix some great performances with some not so good, I suppose it's consistency that's more important.
                              Wasn't a great day for the Scottish players from what I saw.
                              Dean just won 4-0 in less than an hour. AST 16 seconds!

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post

Dean just won 4-0 in less than an hour. AST 16 seconds!
                                yes good win that against the Austrian Nuessle , wasn't there supposed to be a seeding system for this , just out of curiosity Daniel Wells opponents seemed very strong in the three events , 1 Adam Duffy and Sydney Wilson , 2 Simon Bedford and the third event Ross Muir , maybe he was just a bit unlucky i don't know .

Comment

Working...
                                X