Australia Goldfields Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia Goldfields Open

I just looked up the draw for The Goldfields Open on the World Snooker site and it appears that only eight of the top sixteen will be playing. It also appears that the twentysixth ranked player has made the main draw without having to qualify. This is very disappointing as a number of the top names won't be coming and this in the year that a new contract is being negotiated. Again VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Whilst I understand your disappointment you have to look at it from the players viewpoint. They have a very long and demanding season and many tournaments now are involving huge journeys back and forth to China as well as other shorter journeys across Europe for PTC events etc. All this costs a lot of money in travelling and hotel fees etc and its just not in some players interest to travel that distance with the enormous costs involved if they feel they aren't likely to make much from it.

Comment

Another observation for the events like this with the smallest prize money and for top ranked furthest away, some of the players may be inclined not to give their all in qualifying aka throwing their matches and making it look believable...
      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

I hope Barry Hearn is reading these comments especially after the letter he sent to all players.

Comment

World number 1 (Neil Robertson) is coming to Bendigo . . .

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

I don't think it's right throwing any game but you can bet your life it happens in all sports, whatever the reasons whether it be a betting ring, early exit or whatever else.
            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

I know I have asked this before on the forum and didn't get a positive response. Is anyone coming to the Goldfield's Open in Bendigo this year? I am, so hopefully someone on here is also. See you ALL there!

p.s. go Neil !!
              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]14035[/ATTACH]
                I know I have asked this before on the forum and didn't get a positive response. Is anyone coming to the Goldfield's Open in Bendigo this year? I am, so hopefully someone on here is also. See you ALL there!

p.s. go Neil !!
                only wish I could
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I am too but a number of players I'd like to see in person aren't coming. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                    Whilst I understand your disappointment you have to look at it from the players viewpoint. They have a very long and demanding season and many tournaments now are involving huge journeys back and forth to China as well as other shorter journeys across Europe for PTC events etc. All this costs a lot of money in travelling and hotel fees etc and its just not in some players interest to travel that distance with the enormous costs involved if they feel they aren't likely to make much from it.
                    The players that's not going are the players that makes most money from the tour.

Comment

Originally Posted by pearce View Post
                      I am too but a number of players I'd like to see in person aren't coming.
                      You are coming or "only wish you could"?

Comment

I've got tickets for Thursday night & Friday day & night. You see more players that way and can pick your own seats in what is an uncomfortable venue against reserved seating on Saturday & Sunday.

Comment

Originally Posted by pearce View Post
                          I've got tickets for Thursday night & Friday day & night. You see more players that way and can pick your own seats in what is an uncomfortable venue against reserved seating on Saturday & Sunday.
                          Excellent! I will be there Thursday night, all Friday, Saturday and Sunday! I can't wait! Counting the days . . .

Comment

None of this excuses the fact that with the tournament which is so important to Australian Snooker is up for renegotiation, half of the top sixteen aren't coming. Sixtyfour are going to the Wuxi and the argument about money is a nonsense as was pointed out, the eight that aren't coming are among the top money earners. The ranking points must not mean much to those players.

Comment

It is unfortunate that many top players arent going as it is important
                              to 'grow' snooker in various countries and the fans want to see the
                              best players in the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X