Champion of Champions Snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion of Champions Snooker

Firstly, a bit surprised that Mark Williams has been left out in favour of Martin Gould, seeing as MW's list of achievements including double world champion, multiple maximums and other ranking tournaments and millions in prize money against MG's zero ranking tournaments, world titles or maximums and poorer ranking?

Secondly, why are they calling it 4 groups of 4 with the group winners meeting in the semis when it is clearly a flat 16 draw competition with the first round best of 7, the quarters and semi best of 11 and the final best of 19 with no group round robin matches of any kind - it's a straight KO!

At least you can argue Mark Davis is ahead of MW in the rankings but maybe MW upset Barry in the twitterings about the new merit ranking list or in some other way?

Gould won both the Championship League and the Snooker Shoot-Out last season.

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
      Firstly, a bit surprised that Mark Williams has been left out in favour of Martin Gould, seeing as MW's list of achievements including double world champion, multiple maximums and other ranking tournaments and millions in prize money against MG's zero ranking tournaments, world titles or maximums and poorer ranking?

Secondly, why are they calling it 4 groups of 4 with the group winners meeting in the semis when it is clearly a flat 16 draw competition with the first round best of 7, the quarters and semi best of 11 and the final best of 19 with no group round robin matches of any kind - it's a straight KO!

At least you can argue Mark Davis is ahead of MW in the rankings but maybe MW upset Barry in the twitterings about the new merit ranking list or in some other way?
      Maybe he cant go - Cant see them leaving Mark Williams out of a tournament given all he has done in the game - the guy is a legend.

Comment

Originally Posted by streamer45 View Post
        Gould won both the Championship League and the Snooker Shoot-Out last season.
        None of them are ranking or important titles - Mark Williams has worn multiple world titles and all sorts of things and in 2003 he was untouchable winning ALL the major titles World Masters and UK if I am not mistaken. How many players have done that - not many?

Snooker shoot outs short frame comps and power snooker still an achievement but not in the same league as what MJW has achieved yet - not even close.

Comment

Gould has won no full ranking titles. CoC is an invitation event and don't think MW was invited and I don't think he's in the field for the Masters either. Just seems a bit strange to me as there are only 4 people with a better record than him in the game, current or retired.

Comment

Gould has won no full ranking titles. CoC is an invitation event and don't think MW was invited and I don't think he's in the field for the Masters either. Just seems a bit strange to me as there are only 4 people with a better record than him in the game, current or retired.
            Bit unfair on Martin Gould though and I am sure he thinks the same way if this really is the case - surely the organisers to blame - How do you know Mark has been left out in favour of Martin Gould anyway? - might it be that he just be he cant make it - holiday or doing something else perhaps - cant see this being right.

But if it is at the end of the day its up to the people doing the invites - takes a bit of the gloss off their event in my eyes if you don't invite one of the best players that ever held a cue.

Comment

My understanding is that it's for people who are currently reigning champions of a tournament, not people who previously won them.

Though they let Smurphy in, purely based on him being high in the rankings, so I guess they could've put Mark in if they'd wanted to.

Comment

don't think MW was invited and I don't think he's in the field for the Masters either
                Yeah your right mate, at the minute MW is 19th in the rankings so unless he has a good in the Uk championships he won't be going to the Masters either......

I agree with you Mark to good of a player to be left out..... But on the other hand his form has been pretty poor of late.
                Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
                  My understanding is that it's for people who are currently reigning champions of a tournament, not people who previously won them.
                  It's definitely a invitational event bud..... I've just looked on the world snooker website.

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                    It's definitely a invitational event bud..... I've just looked on the world snooker website.
                    I know it's invitational.

What I'm driving at is that the majority of people who were invited are currently champions of other events. Hence the title.

Comment

Oops sorry bud, I misread your original post.....

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                        Oops sorry bud, I misread your original post.....
                        No problem.

Comment

This explains it a bit... http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/Cha...505718,00.html

Looking forward to this months snooker, should be good
                          Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Doesn't explain it to me - the fifth most successful player of the modern game, double world champ, multiple maximums, world number 1 for three seasons, 18 ranking titles, over 250 centuries, nearly £4million in prize money, etc, missing out on a champions invitation event in favour of someone who has never been world champ, or number 1 (or even the top ten) or won a ranking event, or made a maximum and who is below MW in the rankings!

Fair play to MG for his invite and good luck but I can't help feeling somebody has upset somebody for that decision to have been made, doesn't make sense to me and devalues the event, imo

Comment

Doesn't explain it to me - the fifth most successful player of the modern game, double world champ, multiple maximums, world number 1 for three seasons, 18 ranking titles, over 250 centuries, nearly £4million in prize money, etc, missing out on a champions invitation event in favour of someone who has never been world champ, or number 1 (or even the top ten) or won a ranking event, or made a maximum and who is below MW in the rankings!

Fair play to MG for his invite and good luck but I can't help feeling somebody has upset somebody for that decision to have been made, doesn't make sense to me and devalues the event, imo
                              Totally agree -

Comment

Working...
                              X