Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Open Tournament Cancelled for 2014/2015 Season

This comes as a big surprise to me. World Snooker
    just posted what is below and more on their website.

World Open Removed From Calendar

07th November 2014

World Snooker has announced that the World Open will not take place during the 2014/15 season.

The world ranking event was staged in Haikou, China, in 2012, 2013 and 2014, but the contract with the promoter has not been renewed.

Maybe this is the start of the decline in China.. ( I know, I know.. just trollin' )

Comment

I don't think they (world snooker) do themselves any favours making the likes of Ding and Ronnie or the top 16 have to qualify. Not like people flock to see the rest out of the top 16 - with one or two exceptions -do they? Are they having the Wuxi next year? Answers on a postcard-

Also not a lot of people could afford the months wages they charged for a ticket in China - shame.
      Last edited by Byrom; 8 November 2014, 11:00 AM.

Comment

World Open Tournament Cancelled for 2014/2015 Season

top 16 should be exempt, end of.
        the international champs last week with no world champion and no chinas no. 1 in ding and no wonder nobody was watching.

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
          Maybe this is the start of the decline in China.. ( I know, I know.. just trollin' )
          I don't think thats trollin - I think you'll see in the next 2-3 years you'll a decline in the market over there. rarely, in any sport, do you see a continual rise. There are some exceptions of course!
          #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

totally agree with the top 16 should get a degree of protection.

While nice in theory that all 128 or whatever it is start in round 1, the risk of having no 'names' in the business end equates to limited attendances - live and viewing figures. Like all sports big names sell tickets. Prospects dont, unfortunately.
            #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

There is no doubt that having several top players
              not qualify or get knocked out early has lessened
              my interest so I am sure the Chinese would feel
              the same. Ticket prices of course have to be looked
              into as well and I understand one tournament was
              held an hour away from a big city.
              World Snooker has to work hard to resolve whatever
              issues are standing in the way of holding successful
              tournaments in China and elsewhere.

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                totally agree with the top 16 should get a degree of protection.

While nice in theory that all 128 or whatever it is start in round 1, the risk of having no 'names' in the business end equates to limited attendances - live and viewing figures. Like all sports big names sell tickets. Prospects dont, unfortunately.
                Yep I agree -

I have changed my mind on this point though - whilst I think it is more fair to give everyone a equal chance and it does not matter to me being a die hard snooker fan who plays who and I like watching the new breed - fact is your average Joe public are not of the same mind and they are not seeing the matches they want and cannot keep pace with the influx of new faces that might get a run in the odd event never to be seen for the rest of the year - also the rivalries the sport needs to develop are not happening often enough and I think its time to change the ranking system back to what it was to encourage this to happen more.

Comment

Like in china,to the die hard fan a walden vs Allen final was great to them,but of course how unfortunate this may sound this doesn't do snooker any good whatsoever,don't care what anyone say.

Comment

World Open Tournament Cancelled for 2014/2015 Season

Just bring it to Antwerp ???

Comment

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
                      top 16 should be exempt, end of.
                      the international champs last week with no world champion and no chinas no. 1 in ding and no wonder nobody was watching.
                      I have just posted a new thread here http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...at-draw-Events What Barry Hearn has decided to the do in the future about the 128 flat draw overseas events
                      Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

Working...
                      X