Crucible Theatre, Sheffield. Format Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    The UK was rightly regarded as the 2nd tournament after the worlds for that reason.
    Frankly, if they mess about with the UK much more, it's going to be overshadowed by the Champion of Champions and the Masters.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      the way I see it is that Lindrum was so good that no one wanted to play him, especially in AU.
      Joe Davis had already gone out there and failed and never wanted to go back. There was no one else close that could get an event worth while
      Indeed. I think actually Lindrum last played in England in 1933. Joe Davis travelled to Australia for the 1934 Championship and after beating New Zealander Clark McConachy, lost narrowly to Lindrum in their match for the title. It took Joe several months of playing exhibitions around Australia to raise enough money for his fare home so not surprisingly he didn't see it worthwhile to go back to challenge him again.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
        Indeed. I think actually Lindrum last played in England in 1933. Joe Davis travelled to Australia for the 1934 Championship and after beating New Zealander Clark McConachy, lost narrowly to Lindrum in their match for the title. It took Joe several months of playing exhibitions around Australia to raise enough money for his fare home so not surprisingly he didn't see it worthwhile to go back to challenge him again.
        And the balls used had a lot to do with it. In england they insisted on using ivory balls and Lindrum struggled to adapt his nursery cannon game to them for a few years before eventually winning the title. Back in australia Lindrum set the ground rules and composite balls were used for the first time (bonzoline I believe) and no one could get near him.

Comment

Working...
        X