Clear All

• Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
    The game needs proper ambassadors and its great
    to hear that both players were just that. They dress
    and act like gentlemen and its quite the opposite of
    some who are unshaven and look a mess. Not to
    mention those who just run off and dont act in a
    professional manner.
    Yes but it takes all sorts to make the game and characters are needed. There is a place for all types and for me I think its a bit harsh to criticise Ronnie if he wants to get off after these presentations and such like. He's done loads compared to Murphy and Bingham who probably revel in this moment because they haven't had many of them in their careers.

Put yourself in their shoes, everyone wants a piece of you, you are suddenly headline news, its a nightmare to deal with. Especially after a gruelling 17 days where players wouldn't have slept well and the sheer fatigue of it. Then you have to act all pleasantry to people who wouldn't really give you the time of day normally. Even though I'll never be a pro, I can tell you that I prefer to keep myself to myself and I too would do a Ronnie, I don't like the attention and I think its a bit unfair to expect that of everyone.

Comment

• Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
      Just a few more words about these two players, I've just got back from Sheffield and have not had chance to read through all the thread. But I'm sure it's all been said what a wonderful final and wonderful story it has all been.

But having been at the final yesterday, and waited till they let all and sundry into the after-party, I wanted to add to the general comments about Murphy and Bingham being great ambassadors for the game and perfect gentlemen and all that. The after-party is obviously great for the winner, and not so great for the runner-up. Ronnie O'Sullivan, whether he's won or lost the final, has always gone in, done the corporate necessities and disappeared as quickly as possible.

Bingham and Murphy, though, were only too happy to have photos (even with the trophy in Bingham's case!) as well as asides like Ken Doherty, Rob Walker, etc. At one point, one fan wanted a photo with Stuart and the silverware and the nearest person available to hold the camera offered to take it. That nearest person was Shaun Murphy himself!

It's a bit of a clichéd expression "Class act on an off the baize" since Rob Walker uses it every time he is introduced. But it really is true.
      good stuff ... and did you manage to get your photo taken with any of them? if so, don't be shy, please do show ...

Comment

Just a few more words about these two players, I've just got back from Sheffield and have not had chance to read through all the thread. But I'm sure it's all been said what a wonderful final and wonderful story it has all been.

But having been at the final yesterday, and waited till they let all and sundry into the after-party, I wanted to add to the general comments about Murphy and Bingham being great ambassadors for the game and perfect gentlemen and all that. The after-party is obviously great for the winner, and not so great for the runner-up. Ronnie O'Sullivan, whether he's won or lost the final, has always gone in, done the corporate necessities and disappeared as quickly as possible.

Bingham and Murphy, though, were only too happy to have photos (even with the trophy in Bingham's case!) as well as asides like Ken Doherty, Rob Walker, etc. At one point, one fan wanted a photo with Stuart and the silverware and the nearest person available to hold the camera offered to take it. That nearest person was Shaun Murphy himself!

It's a bit of a clichéd expression "Class act on an off the baize" since Rob Walker uses it every time he is introduced. But it really is true.
        Thanks for sharing this very interesting infos. This little story makes me really like Shaun Murphy more.

Comment

That's indeed very classy...but like some others have said already, it's also no real susprise to me. They seem class-acts on and off the baize. Your story just proves it Great story...thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
            Have a look through this thread:

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...op-8-2009-2014

:smile:
            Thanks for sharing. Highly interesting. We should make a new thread about this.

Comment

But having been at the final yesterday, and waited till they let all and sundry into the after-party,
              Where is the after-party and how did you find out about it? I know you've been going for years and years, but I've been to at least three Crucible finals and nobody's ever mentioned the after-party. Not that I'd want to go, but I'm curious.

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                Where is the after-party and how did you find out about it? I know you've been going for years and years, but I've been to at least three Crucible finals and nobody's ever mentioned the after-party. Not that I'd want to go, but I'm curious.
                It's at the St Paul's hotel, in the downstairs room. At a certain undefined point they stop restricting who goes down there.

The main part of the hotel, of course, is a bar available to the public so if you're that way inclined there is always plenty of opportunity for the autograph hunter.

Comment

• As much as it can be difficult for some players
                  doing some public relations is part of the job
                  is it not. You cant just leave it to others.

Comment

• Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
                    As much as it can be difficult for some players
                    doing some public relations is part of the job
                    is it not. You cant just leave it to others.
                    That's true, but some people just don't like that part of it and just want to get on with playing snooker. I personally don't know how I'd feel if I were in that position.
                    John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                    X