International Championship Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Championship Qualifiers

I was looking at the order of play for Tomorrow's order of play in the International Championship Qualifiers in Barnsley and I see Ricky Walden (The Defending Champion who plays Tian Pengfei, Stuart Bingham (The World Champion) who plays Steven Hallworth, Ding Jun Hui (The N0 1 Chinese Player) who plays Sam Craigie And Liang Wenbo (The N0 2 Chinese Player and ranked N0 21 on the Order of Merit) have all been exempt from playing in The qualifiers and their matches have been brought forward to The 25th October so they can be played at the Main Event in China, Barry Hearn as done this because Ding (The Defending Champion in 2014) and the 2014 World Champion Mark Selby both went out in the Qualifying in Barnsley Last year. So this meant, The Defending Champion, The World champion and the top two host nation players would play their first round matches at the main event in china. and their opponents would get £250 towards their and Accommodation‎ and flight costs. not sure what you think of this, because Barry Hearn originally said all players woukld start from Round one and play in the qualifiers.
    Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Seems a bit unfair that they get carried over to the venue, especially after Hearn used to bang on about no favouritism.

Still, never mind. Aint that fussed really.

I've signed up to World Snooker's website now, so am going to stream some of this evening matches hopefully.

Comment

originally they did say that yes, but then (I assume after some pressure form the venue/sponsors) they started saying top players would play their qualifiers at the venue (with low players getting financial support for this) - this came about after Ding was knocked out in the UK quals and the China venue lost revenue due to reduced ticket sales.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

that's hearns love of snooker for you,its all about the money

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          originally they did say that yes, but then (I assume after some pressure form the venue/sponsors) they started saying top players would play their qualifiers at the venue (with low players getting financial support for this) - this came about after Ding was knocked out in the UK quals and the China venue lost revenue due to reduced ticket sales.
          I know why it's done, and it doesn't particularly bother me either way. It just found it slightly amusing.

Comment

Looks like the matches on stream tonight are Mark Selby vs Eden Sharav and Michael White vs Alfie Burden.

Comment

Kyren Wilson is playing Thor Chuan Leong. (Who shall henceforth be referred to as The Mighty Thor.)

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
                Seems a bit unfair that they get carried over to the venue, especially after Hearn used to bang on about no favouritism.
                That "no favouritism" policy survived about three hours, if you remember, as Hearn's first act as chairman was to get Jimmy White into the Masters, even though he had done very little to deserve it. An even more obvious display of favouritism was getting White into the Premier League in 2011, with the excuse that he was the World Seniors champion, while completely ignoring Darren Morgan the following year. Or shall we mention the Steve Davis case? :wink: As soon as Davis finally dropped off the tour, special rules were introduced where players of Davis' status were allowed to basically stay on the Main Tour indefinitely. Thankfully Davis had the class to largely decline this "favour".

I don't know if amusement is the right word, but the "no favouritism" policy certainly deserves ridicule, because it is clearly ignored in cases where it's not convenient. Having said that, in this case, ignoring a policy that was stupid to begin with is a good thing. Players like Ding Junhui have no business playing a Chinese event in a cubicle in England. :wink:

Comment

Apparently, the Live Streams on World Snooker website aren't working.

Comment

must be from the source (someone tripped and pulled the plug out ) as no stream sites that I know of are working
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hopefully it's up and running by the Selby match tonight.

Comment

It's laughable that so many snooker fans and players are up in arms about 4 matches being held over, for what are largely commercial reasons. They all seem to be conveniently ignorant of the fact the the qualifiers for a Chinese ranking event are held in bloody Yorkshire! So all 22 Asian entrants are expected to make their way to Barnsley to compete in an event in their home continent. Perhaps hold the UK qualifiers in Chengdu and give these people something to really moan about?

Yeah the 'fairness' of holding over 4 matches....THAT'S the disgrace here! *shakes head*

Comment

Liam Highfield loses 6-2 and has 2 centuries !
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Coral seem to be the best betting site for snooker matches and bets a day or two in advance,anyone know of any good others ? cheers

Comment

difference being when the chinese have gone back to ping pong we will still be playing in the uk.but by then the game will be on its arse

Comment

Working...
                              X