Ricoh Arena, some thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricoh Arena, some thoughts

So, as I’ve already bored everybody by mentioning several times, I attended the Ricoh Arena this weekend.

Anybody else been there for snooker. Couldn’t decide on my thoughts.

On first arrival, I discovered that my hotel is within the same building of the snooker. I literally didn’t have to feel fresh air on my skin from checking in time, to check out time. It was almost as if I’d paid for a bed in the same room as the snooker was held. Though the hotel charged me a hell of a lot for the privilege. There weren’t many hotels nearby, and those that were had sold out by the time I booked tickets. So I took the plunge, and went all in to the hotel in the same venue.

Walking about the Ricoh I wanted to like it as a venue. It seemed like a mini Ally-Pally, only better. But I began noticing the same problems with the Alexandra Palace. No atmosphere. When people talk about the Ricoh Arena’s fabulous atmosphere, they pretty much just mean ‘looks good on television’.

I mean, it was no Crucible. Where the snooker becomes the centre of everything for 17 days. Example. In Sheffield, all hotel staff watch snooker, even if they don’t care about it, so they can talk to customers about it.

Granted, that’s The Crucible. The biggest tournament in our sport. But considering the venue was all in one, it seemed a bit dour somehow. People just weren’t interacting with other snooker fans. Something seemed missing. There was a bar opposite the snooker called The Legends Lounge that had ITV 4 on all day. (And opened before midday, so was showing some weird antique show with a couple of Texan blokes.) But even that felt, I dunno, like people were just doing it because they felt it was a sensible decision.

In no bar that was there did I get talking about snooker, despite trying.

Maybe I should stop travelling alone to snooker events. But even when you went to the Newport Centre, there was some atmosphere to the place. And was in the centre of the city, so you could go to a pub or to the nearby chip shop/curry house during matches.

One thing I will say, the layout inside the arena was good. There wasn't really a bad seat in the house. Even when I was sat at the back, I had an amazing view of the table. And it's easy to nip out for a toilet break, and be back in your seat for the next frame. Something that wouldn't be possible at a lot of venues.

Anybody else go? Agree / Disagree.

For what has become such a highly regarded, cool tournament, the atmosphere of the place seemed flat somehow.

Inside the arena it's fine, though I wish there was more legroom in the seats.

Outside the arena I agree - totally flat. Felt like an airport waiting lounge, especially when everything bar the pub had shut prior to the final session. World snooker needs to put more things on I feel, beyond the usual two guys playing snooker in the foyers.

When you entered the building from one of the car parks there was nothing to indicate snooker was being played there.

Comment

I haven't been there, but from a TV spectator point of view it looked good despite the blue background lighting.

Changing the venue slightly, I remember going to the UK championships in Telford (it's temporary home) a few years ago. It was the semi finals and we were lucky to see Higgins 9 v 8 O-Sullivan. What struck me was the conference building in which it which being held and how stale the atmosphere inside it was for snooker's 2nd main event and the fact the players entered from behind the mini stand in what looked like a gymnasium.

It was all quite surreal and how Rob Walker gave the countdown before the players came on and getting ready for it to be beamed for the BBC and Hazel Irvine. At that point I could see the gulf in the sport v others like football and how snooker's main players get basic treatment against the spoon fed and overpaid players of other sports who are treated like gods!
      John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

I went on Thursday & Friday. The staff at the Ricoh were helpful but would have to agree with a comment from Snookerfan that the atmosphere outside in the foyer was dire & other than the snooker table there. You wouldn't have known that a snooker tournament was on. In the arena all the seating offered a good view of the table but I had a few issues with the place. The biggest moan I have with the place was that bloody noisy white roller shutter near the toilets constantly making a noise & banging with the wind. On the Friday it was absolutely freezing in there too. You could also hear the announcements outside by the receptionist in the main foyer too. Would I go back next year? In 1 word. NO!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by shmeeko69 View Post
          I haven't been there, but from a TV spectator point of view it looked good despite the blue background lighting.

Changing the venue slightly, I remember going to the UK championships in Telford (it's temporary home) a few years ago. It was the semi finals and we were lucky to see Higgins 9 v 8 O-Sullivan. What struck me was the conference building in which it which being held and how stale the atmosphere inside it was for snooker's 2nd main event and the fact the players entered from behind the mini stand in what looked like a gymnasium.

It was all quite surreal and how Rob Walker gave the countdown before the players came on and getting ready for it to be beamed for the BBC and Hazel Irvine. At that point I could see the gulf in the sport v others like football and how snooker's main players get basic treatment against the spoon fed and overpaid players of other sports who are treated like gods!
          I went to the Telford International Centre. It's easier for me to get to, and hotels were cheaper.

I know what you mean about it, but I still enjoyed it more than Ricoh. I stood around collecting autographs with the nerds, and talking to people. So it felt like I was doing something whilst there. I'd have got some autographs at Ricoh, but packed my book and not a pen. Ha Ha.

Some how Ricoh felt worse to me than Telford. But that may just be personal opinion.

Telford certainly weren't great, though York is supposed to be brilliant. Despite not having been myself.

Comment

Working...
          X