Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expenses on Individual Players to Play Professional Tournaments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeanH
    replied
    Tom Ford is #52 earning £63k after Bulgaria and has £12k to add for the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    According to the cuemasters list, Tom Ford ranked at #64 earned 28.8K but so I can relate to this that works out to about $57K Canadian and out of that he pays expenses and taxes plus his daily living expenses. OK, so it's not easy street but the opportunities are there to earn more and a prime example of that is Stuart Bingham who putted around the bottom of the top 32 or so (I'm guessing) but somehow at a late stage in a pro career has managed to come through and is now making enough to not only live well but also invest in his retirement.

Don't forget, for the top players and even some of the lower ranked pros there are also opportunities to make more money from exhibitions and sponsorship.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by craig147 View Post
    I suppose it's just the downside to playing an individual sport, I'm sure Andy Murray and Rory Mcilroy will have to cover all there expenses the difference is there is a lot more money on the golf and tennis tours. Snooker has improved in terms of more tournaments etc but the prize money unfortunately seems to have not risen as fast.
    I'm sure they have sponsors who cover these for them

prize money has increased on some of the events, but I have said before the top to bottom spread is not right yet, very top heavy, the winner getting more than 65% more than runner-up is not correct, 50% maybe 55% but not over 60%;
    also the breakdown going down the prize fund is disproportionate and needs attention by those in power.

as golferson says, the players also have the usual living costs to take out of these

Remember also that the Ranking list is based on a rolling two year capture of winnings.

Leave a comment:

• craig147
    replied
    I suppose it's just the downside to playing an individual sport, I'm sure Andy Murray and Rory Mcilroy will have to cover all there expenses the difference is there is a lot more money on the golf and tennis tours. Snooker has improved in terms of more tournaments etc but the prize money unfortunately is not in same league as other sports!
    Last edited by craig147; 7 December 2015, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• golferson123
    replied
    Expenses on Individual Players to Play Professional Tournaments?

who pays my digs? who buys my food?

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Originally Posted by shmeeko69 View Post
    I think it ridiculous that snooker players have to pay for hotel and travel costs especially for the Asian and European tour events were the prize money is quite poor and not one of them give the winner more than £19k! I think certain players would be glad to get shot of these one's as not only do they pay poorly, but they have to take time out to get there.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/wp-conte...e-schedule.pdf
    What do you mean "take time out" ? It's there job lol, I suppose they can choose not to go?

Leave a comment:

• shmeeko69
    replied
    I think it ridiculous that snooker players have to pay for hotel and travel costs especially for the Asian and European tour events were the prize money is quite poor and not one of them give the winner more than £19k! I think certain players would be glad to get shot of these one's as not only do they pay poorly, but they have to take time out to get there.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/wp-conte...e-schedule.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
    Without mentioning names, the lad in our club earnt 40k last season and 18k the season before.

He still serves me my chips and cheese and pint of lager every week.

Chips and Cheese !!!!! next it will be Cheesecake and Cheesy Peas ........................a taste sensation

One of the Pro's down our club works part time as well . He turned up last week at 8.30pm after work to practice for a few hours .

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    here is the prize schedule for this season, as you can see only the losers of the first round in each event do not get any winnings
    http://www.worldsnooker.com/wp-conte...y-schedule.pdf

out of this a player will have to spend for their expenses; paying the event entry fee, travel, lodgings, food, etc, and also don't forget that World Snooker also takes a Player's Levee on these winnings, not sure but I believe it could be 5%, before any tax etc.
    Now if a player can get sponsorship and depending on the agreement, travel, lodgings, etc. could be covered by the sponsor.

Leave a comment:

• tomwalker147
    replied
    Without mentioning names, the lad in our club earnt 40k last season and 18k the season before.

He still serves me my chips and cheese and pint of lager every week.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    David Grace gets £30k but in the 2 previous seasons in earned less than £14k . So if you add the 2 together , he is still struggling financially .

Leave a comment:

• tomwalker147
    replied
    You can check the earnings by going to the world snooker website and clicking on the ranking list for anybody who's interested. Keep in mind that that outgoings aren't included, hotels, meals, travel, sponsor's cuts.

As Leo said there are full time pro's earning minimum wage (or less than). Being a pro is like being a car salesman, guaranteed no basic but opportunity to earn a lot depending on performance.

We'd all love to be professionals but you wouldn't be guaranteed good money unless you have a David Grace moment or are simply brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    2013-2014 season earnings here, some decent money earned here
    http://cuetracker.net/Statistics/Pri...s=Professional

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    When the players are abroad [ China etc] their expenses [ with the exception of flights ] are covered by the sponsor until they are out of the Tournament .

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    Some players on the tour are only just scrapping over minimum wage

Leave a comment:

Working...
X