The Masters 2016 10-17 January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Masters 2016 10-17 January

It's nearly time for what I personally consider to be the bee's knees tournament. Loaded with the top 16 players in the world (ranked at the end of the UK Championship), it's big match time from day one. The Pally welcomes Liang Wenbo after his marvelous run to the UK final, where he faced Robertson, who was in monster form throughout the tournament and is the red hot player of the season so far. Amazingly, The Masters will feature another first; Ronnie's inaugural tournament of 2015/16. When Ronnie last took so much time out, a whole season as it was, I backed him at 12/1 to win the World Championship, a nice earner and the most satisfying bet I've ever placed; me mates thought I was crazy! This Masters, the odds are not so generous on a perfect comeback, punters and the bookies are wise to Ronnie's long holidays, so the odds come in to 9/2 and he's slight favourite over Robbo. It's still amazing to have these odds on someone who has missed half the season doing exhibitions and enjoying time practicing with friends instead. Why someone with so much talent and ability to win tournaments would do such a strange thing is like asking why the sun comes up each day; it just does. As Dennie Taylor says; the beauty of Ronnie is you never know what he's going to do next, he's mesmerizing.

The Class of '92 all feature and their longevity again points to these three being true greats, perhaps the three most talented tournament players ever. For me, they embody the greatest all round player, the best match player and the best potter. And the usual suspects from the generation below are all there, though Ding's fall from grace sees him push out to 20/1, more than double his odds a couple of seasons ago. I don't see much value in Judd at 6/1, he was embarrassed at the UK by his standard but he can be black and white, rubbish at one tournament, incredible at the next, so maybe the bookies are wise? And being World Champion doesn't count much when form has dipped considerably, so Bingo slips down to 25/1. Mags is looking good value at 33/1; if he'd only fulfill some more of that fine cueing talent. Selby and Smurf can't be counted out as last year proved and they're sitting pretty as proper contenders at 8/1. I can't see Robbo being anything other than the cream on this pint of Masters gold top at 5/1 but I'm sticking a tenner each way on Wenbo anyway, he's in form and the odds are too generous to refuse.

Who's going to do well, who's going to make the semis and final, and who will triumph?

Best Odds on The Runners and Riders (Xmas day):

Ronnie 9/2
    Robbo 5/1
    Trump 6/1
    Selby/Smurf 8/1
    Higgins 14/1
    Ding 20/1
    Allen/Bingo 25/1
    Mags 33/1
    The Hawk/Fu 45/1
    Tricky Ricky 50/1
    Perry 55/1
    MJW 66/1
    Liang Wenbo 100/1

Masters Snooker 1st Round Draw

Shaun Murphy v Mark Allen
    Barry Hawkins v Joe Perry
    Judd Trump v Stephen Maguire
    Neil Robertson v Marco Fu
    Mark Selby v Ricky Walden
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Williams
    John Higgins v Liang Wenbo
    Stuart Bingham v Ding Junhui

Incredibly, the first weekend features Ding on Sunday at 7pm, when China is in bed and Ronnie on Tuesday at 1pm, when the UK is at work. So that's the two big potential TV audiences of the first round scuppered. Great scheduling WS!
    Last edited by barrywhite; 26 December 2015, 12:23 PM.

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
    It's nearly time for what I personally consider to be the bee's knees tournament. Loaded with the top 16 players in the world (ranked at the end of the UK Championship), it's big match time from day one. The Pally welcomes Lian Wenbo after his marvelous run to the UK final, where he faced Robertson, who was in monster form throughout the tournament and is the red hot player of the season so far. Amazingly, The Masters will feature another first; Ronnie's inaugural tournament of 2015/16. When Ronnie last took so much time out, a whole season as it was, I backed him at 12/1 to win the World Championship, a nice earner and the most satisfying bet I've ever placed; me mates thought I was crazy! This Master's, the odds are not so generous on a perfect comeback, punters and the bookies are wise to Ronnie's long holidays, so the odds come in to 9/2 and he's slight favourite over Robbo. It's still amazing to have these odds on someone who has missed half the season doing exhibitions and enjoying time practicing with friends instead. Why someone with so much talent and ability to win tournaments would do such a strange thing is like asking why the sun comes up each day; it just does. As Dennie Taylor says; the beauty of Ronnie is you never know what he's going to do next, he's mesmerizing.

The Class of '92 all feature and their longevity again points to these three being true greats, perhaps the three most talented tournament players ever. For me, they embody the greatest all round player, the best match player and the best potter. And the usual suspects from the generation below are all there, though Ding's fall from grace sees him push out to 20/1, more than double his odds a couple of seasons ago. I don't see much value in Judd at 6/1, he was embarrassed at the UK by his standard but he can be black and white, rubbish at one tournament, incredible at the next, so maybe the bookies are wise? I can't see Robbo being anything other than the cream on this pint of Masters gold top but I'm sticking a tenner each way on Wenbo anyway, he's in form and the odds are too generous to refuse.

Who's going to do well, who's going to make the semis and final, and who will triumph?

Best Odds on The Runners and Riders (Xmas day):

Ronnie 9/2
    Robbo 5/1
    Trump 6/1
    Selby/Smurf 8/1
    Higgins 14/1
    Ding 20/1
    Allen/Bingo 25/1
    Mags 33/1
    The Hawk/Fu 45/1
    Tricky Ricky 50/1
    Perry 55/1
    MJW 66/1
    Liang Wenbo 100/1
    Great post.

I'm backing Ronnie to win with a MJW semi placing. It's a pure gut feeling on him to reach the semi and good odds for a bit of fun.
    Always back the Asian lads to do well in any tournament. I see them as the 100-1 shots all day long but you never know. The masters reminds me of the grand national, most people back the favourite but you just can't help backing a few long shots because they have proven to come good now and then.

Comment

Originally Posted by LucLex3119 View Post
      Great post.

I'm backing Ronnie to win with a MJW semi placing. It's a pure gut feeling on him to reach the semi and good odds for a bit of fun.
      Always back the Asian lads to do well in any tournament. I see them as the 100-1 shots all day long but you never know. The masters reminds me of the grand national, most people back the favourite but you just can't help backing a few long shots because they have proven to come good now and then.
      Cheers, I've just edited and added the first round draw; crucial info for any bets! Sorry about that. I'm with you, I'd love to back a 100/1, Ronnie and Robbo. And Mags at 33s. But Smurf/Selby will be tough opposition as well. The Masters, such a difficult tournament, no easy matches! MJW's Twitter quote on facing Ronnie yet again - ''Ronnie o xxxxxng sullivan, ffs, anyone bar him, hes beginning to xxxx me off''. Made me laugh.

Comment

ahaha I love Willo's tweets, had a laugh myself that evening.
        u must have backed Ronnie for the World pretty early that year as he then shortened big time approaching the competition. Maybe 7/1 at the off? can't remember. well done.

Not gonna bother with outrights I guess, I usually have those when I'm loaded would fancy Selby to make the final, more of a supporter hope rather than prediction.

Comment

Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
          ahaha I love Willo's tweets, had a laugh myself that evening.
          u must have backed Ronnie for the World pretty early that year as he then shortened big time approaching the competition. Maybe 7/1 at the off? can't remember. well done.

Not gonna bother with outrights I guess, I usually have those when I'm loaded would fancy Selby to make the final, more of a supporter hope rather than prediction.
          Yeah, it wasn't certain he was going to turn up so the odds were longer before the world champs I think? Can't ever write selby off, he's done the biz twice before. MJW moaning about playing Ronnie; he's lucky he ain't got Selby, that would be a thorough examination!

The sensible bet is Robbo; 5/1 ain't bad odds for someone head and shoulders above the rest at the mo.
          Last edited by barrywhite; 28 December 2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

yea Ronnie's price was very high before he announced he was gonna run.
            Willo playing games: https://twitter.com/jodenwill/status/681240612004360192

Comment

I live in South London, so tend to get tickets and make the arduous journey up North.

I've got tickets to the Sunday afternoon game. (Murphy vs Mark Allen). Also have tickets to the Wednesday afternoon game. (John Higgins vs Liang Wenbo.)

I was extremely tempted by Bing vs Ding, but it was the Sunday night. Didn't fancy travelling back through London that late, running the risk of last trains. Especially with a Sunday service.

I sometimes pick up games at the venue if one of the quarter final games look tasty, so may go again.

Comment

The Masters 2016 10-17 January

I'm South London too. Got tickets for the first time this year. Going to the Shaun Murphy match, Ronnie and Judd match. Can't wait ?

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopylewis View Post
                  I'm South London too. Got tickets for the first time this year. Going to the Shaun Murphy match, Ronnie and Judd match. Can't wait ?
                  Enjoy that, then.

May pick up another ticket when up there, the weekday matches when people are at work don't sell out. See what happens, and who gets into the quarter finals etc.

Is it your first time at live snooker at all?

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
                    Enjoy that, then.

May pick up another ticket when up there, the weekday matches when people are at work don't sell out. See what happens, and who gets into the quarter finals etc.

Is it your first time at live snooker at all?
                    Went when I was a teenager to the masters (@ Wembley) to see Jimmy play. Recently saw Ronnie and Jimmy play at the Snooker legends event at Guildford. So yeah first time in a long time to actually see a match or three.

Already bought the tickets in December when the draw was announced. What's the nearest station to get to Ali Pali ?

Comment

I go to Wood Green tube station, and get a bus up the hill.

That's kind of the problem with the Ally Pally is, that it's not exactly convenient for anything.

Comment

I go to Wood Green tube station, and get a bus up the hill.

That's kind of the problem with the Ally Pally is, that it's not exactly convenient for anything.
                        Cool cheers. Do you know if the players sign autographs afterwards ?

Comment

You always say this, but it's hardly the back end of nowhere - Muswell Hill Broadway is a 10 minute walk or bus ride from outside the Ally Pally with shops, hotels, pubs and Highgate Tube not far away, there's a National Rail station near the venue - what more do you want?

Wembley was pathetic for facilities because the Arena/Stadium caterers have exclusive contracts, so you'd have to go back down Wembley Way in search of a cafe. Ally Pally's not perfect, but(Crucible excluded) where is?

Comment

Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                            You always say this, but it's hardly the back end of nowhere - Muswell Hill Broadway is a 10 minute walk or bus ride from outside the Ally Pally with shops, hotels, pubs and Highgate Tube not far away, there's a National Rail station near the venue - what more do you want?

Wembley was pathetic for facilities because the Arena/Stadium caterers have exclusive contracts, so you'd have to go back down Wembley Way in search of a cafe. Ally Pally's not perfect, but(Crucible excluded) where is?
                            Wembley Arena was rubbish atmosphere-wise, but it was a lot more convenient for transport and amenities than the Ally Pally. Conveninece-wise, it was pretty much the only advantage Wembley had. The tube station was in walking distance, and there were cafes, a pub and a McDonalds nearby-ish. I'm not suggesting that it's the Sahara desert at the AP, but you have to get a bus just to get out the place.

Comment

Cool cheers. Do you know if the players sign autographs afterwards ?
                              If you see them walking around, they'll usually sign something for you. You might have to be quick. Ally Pally being a one-table only venue, there's not as many people coming and going in the venue as there would be at the first stages of a ranking event.

But yes, you will see people walking around. And yes, they will sign stuff if you ask nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X