No new blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No new blood

Out of boredom I compared the current ranking with the ranking back in 2010. In the current top 32, there are only 3 players who haven’t been around more than 5 years ago: Kyren Wilson (24), Anthony McGill (28), Jamie Jones (32). Kyren Wilson may have some potential, but he is already 24. At that age, Ronnie already won 10 tournaments, including 2 UKs and the Masters. The other two (aged 24 and 27) I don’t see as future winners of a big tournament. Do you have any explanation of that lack of youngsters amongst the top pros? And do you see anyone else on the horizon who could make the top 16 soon?

Originally Posted by grandaddy View Post
    Out of boredom I compared the current ranking with the ranking back in 2010. In the current top 32, there are only 3 players who haven’t been around more than 5 years ago: Kyren Wilson (24), Anthony McGill (28), Jamie Jones (32). Kyren Wilson may have some potential, but he is already 24. At that age, Ronnie already won 10 tournaments, including 2 UKs and the Masters. The other two (aged 24 and 27) I don’t see as future winners of a big tournament. Do you have any explanation of that lack of youngsters amongst the top pros? And do you see anyone else on the horizon who could make the top 16 soon?
    i help run two leagues covering most of the West Midlands and there are only a handful of youngsters playing let alone becoming top notch they are all on computers now that's the problem there Are players in my age group been at the top of our league for 20 years and don't look like moving as there is no new blood to take over hence this is why you are not seeing youngsters from the uk like in Ronnies day........the top players in 20 years will all be from Asia

Comment

Interesting post. I've said it before in the Coventry and Warwickshire area i'm one of the youngest around and i'm 25! No a lot coming through!

I have a theory regarding the older players still dominating. I believe it is easier for the top players to maintain their place on the tour now that there is a money list. If you think about it the players who are already established have money in their pockets already, they don't have a second job and can practice as often as they like. The up and coming players who qualify through Q school need to fund their practice, travel and accommodation. They won't have this all funded through a sponsor because contrary to what people believe it is difficult to get a sponsor to outlay that kind of money.

To put it into context there are 2 pros at my club. One is in the top 32 and earnt 100k last year, the other earnt around 20k. One serves me chips and cheese at the club and fits his practice in around that, the other has no second job and practices as and when he likes. I know Adam Duffy works part time as a builder, he may well get back on the tour but how difficult is that.
      "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
        Interesting post. I've said it before in the Coventry and Warwickshire area i'm one of the youngest around and i'm 25! No a lot coming through!

I have a theory regarding the older players still dominating. I believe it is easier for the top players to maintain their place on the tour now that there is a money list. If you think about it the players who are already established have money in their pockets already, they don't have a second job and can practice as often as they like. The up and coming players who qualify through Q school need to fund their practice, travel and accommodation. They won't have this all funded through a sponsor because contrary to what people believe it is difficult to get a sponsor to outlay that kind of money.

To put it into context there are 2 pros at my club. One is in the top 32 and earnt 100k last year, the other earnt around 20k. One serves me chips and cheese at the club and fits his practice in around that, the other has no second job and practices as and when he likes. I know Adam Duffy works part time as a builder, he may well get back on the tour but how difficult is that.
        yes it is easier and it's hard if you have no sponsorship as a youngster but that has always been a problem suppose if you good enough always achieve somehow but the youngsters simply are not playing link they were 20 years ago .....I give you an example the junior West Midlands event used to attract aroun 60-70 youngsters every year under 21 now we get a dozen entries if we are lucky and we have 96 teams in our league ! I think in 20 years maybe not even that long players from Asia will dominate world snooker

Comment

I find this topic can be easily based on the misconception that breaking into the top 32 in the modern game is no more difficuilt than getting into the top 32 in the early to mid 90's when Ronnie Higgins and Williams did.
          If you transported the Q School winners from 2011 onwards into pro snooker events in the early 90's most if not all of them would be seen or get closer to be seen on BBC events.
          Using a player like Jamie Burnett for example who has been good enough to stay on tour since 92 why would any young player beat him when he was most likely a darn good player to begin with then add on 23 years experience,there's your answer really.

Comment

Working...
          X