X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barrywhite
    replied
    Originally Posted by LucLex3119 View Post
    Really? With Thorne Grifiths and Parrot in there. The standard of most of Ronnie's opponents is far better than that of Hendry's.
    It's amazing that ROS has equaled Hendry's record given that he lost ten years to bi-polar. That's a fact, ask his trick cyclist. He should by dint of talent alone have 9 but life isn't like that. He was dealt some great cards being ambidextrous and born to a snooker table but that same wiring that makes him great also gives his a severe handicap. I couldn't play social snooker on 3hrs sleep and this guy beats the best in the world on it whilst juggling depression in his head.

AMAZING!

Leave a comment:

• simmo
    replied
    hendry for me look who he played in 96

Leave a comment:

• pottr
    replied
    Everything progresses over time. You can't compare eras.

Leave a comment:

• LucLex3119
    replied
    Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
    Updated to include the weekend's win. Really though? Only one reply? I was hoping for a few of the more knowledgeable members to provide a bit more context for Hendry's early wins.
    Really? With Thorne Grifiths and Parrot in there. The standard of most of Ronnie's opponents is far better than that of Hendry's.

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    Updated to include the weekend's win. Really though? Only one reply? I was hoping for a few of the more knowledgeable members to provide a bit more context for Hendry's early wins.

Leave a comment:

• strike101
    replied
    Ronnie winning over a longer time shows longevity. Hendry winning in a row shows utter dominance. Looking at those names I'd say Ronnie has faced tougher competition for sure.
    I actually think shorter formats make it harder to win for someone like hendry and Ronnie because the longer the match the less likely a fluke win will happen.

Overall I'd say Ronnies would be more impressive based on the level of competition

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    started a topic O'Sullivan v Hendry - Masters Pedigree

O'Sullivan v Hendry - Masters Pedigree

If Ronnie equals Hendry's Masters record tomorrow(and I don't think he will), it will be an amazing achievement. But are the two's Masters records comparable?

After all, Hendry won five in a row, including his tournament debut. On the other hand, he played fewer frames, as from 1996, the tournament gained its present format, early rounds becoming best of 11 and the final a best of 19, instead of best of 9 and 17. Were Hendry's opponents easier, harder or about the same as O'Sullivan's? One of the things that astonished me while researching this a bit, was just how much Jimmy White could have won if not for Hendry - year after year he got to the semis and got an absolute pasting. Likewise, I had no idea Griffiths had gone on so long - the idea of O'Sullivan playing El Tel is hilarious!

Anyway, here are the two legends' respective records, starting with the most recent victory and from final to first round:

Hendry

1996 O'Sullivan, White, McManus, John Higgins
    1993 Wattana, McManus, Wilkinson, Doherty
    1992 Parrott, White, Dean Reynolds, Martin Clark
    1991 Mike Hallett, White, Tony Meo, Virgo
    1990 Parrott, White,Thorne, James,
    1989 Parrott, Davis, Griffiths, Thorne

O'Sullivan

2016 Hawkins, Bingham, Selby, Williams
    2014 Selby, Maguire,Walden, Milkins
    2009 Selby, Maguire. Carter, Perry
    2007 Ding, Maguire, Doherty, Carter
    2005 Higgins, White, Ding, Dott
    1995 Higgins, Ebdon, Griffiths, Parrott
    Last edited by gavpowell; 19 January 2016, 12:45 AM.
Working...
X