O'Sullivan v Hendry - Masters Pedigree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I would sling Matthew Stevens in that bunch too. He was solid back then.
    Not so great over the short form but one of the best long matchplay players not to be a world champion. In this era he probably would have been.

Comment

Stephen Lee!!!! Seriously.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
        I can't see what everyone else does when it comes to Hendry's commentary. He's the worst there is, both as commentator or pundit. He rarely says anything, which puts pressure on the co-commentator to fill the void.
        Have to disagree with you. I never liked him as a player, but he's a terrific commentator, because he talks through breaks on an expert level, rather than some of the older commentators like Taylor and Virgo who assume the audience are laymen. Reminds me of Coulthard in F1. I have learnt far more about the technicalities of the sport since he's been behind the mic on the beeb. As somebody that's watched snooker all my life, I already know 99% of what John Virgo is telling me when a player is at the table, but Hendry really gets technical, like you might expect from a snooker coach and I feel I learn a lot. Indeed, though I mentioned Taylor and Virgo, I like those commentators too, as I feel voice, warmth and personality are important. Therefore, when you pair them up with Hendry and Doherty (who has a similar technical way of commenting), then you get a perfect match I feel.

Also on your other point about dead air, I also like that because so often nothing needs to be said. Listen to Mike Hallet to appreciate a lack of talk. That guy commentates as if its a horse race, and constantly predicts where the cue-balls going to end up - but is often wrong, like - "Oh this looks good...does it? I think so, he's, hang on, has he found the gap, maybe not, I was going to say he landed on the black perfectly, but it just rolled that extra inch, unlucky". - Not an exaggeration that. Every single word of a ball in motion is needless.

Comment

Doherty was still decent then, Ebdon too.

Originally Posted by Ronnington View Post
          I think the 1999-2004 era was the strongest it's ever been.

Hendry, O'Sullivan, prime Mark Williams, John Higgins, Paul Hunter, Stephen Lee etc.

Ronnie and Jimmy White both said on Eurosport this was the most competitive time in snooker for them.
          "Am too good not to win this tournament" - Stephen Hendry

Comment

Ah yes, forgot about Matthew Stevens, Ebdon and Doherty quality players in their respective primes. I only mentioned Stephen Lee because of his ridiculously exceptional cue action and (wasted) talent
            Favourite players: Kirk Stevens, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ding Junhui

Comment

I think Stephen Lee was a cracking shout, world number five ,while trying not to win! Imagine where he would have been if he was flat out.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Stephen lee and Matthew Stevens? Good grief!

Comment

Working...
                X