X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwinsor
    replied
    Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
    For me the key is nostalgia....if you're good enough to be a current player, you have no business entering the seniors, in my view. Bear in mind that Fred Davis was a world championship semi-finalist at the age of 64, and Cliff Wilsons entire professional career was as a senior......it's complicated.

I'd make qualification for the seniors in three parts. 1) Over a certain age. 2) A certain time must have passed since appearing in the main draw in a professional tournament. 3) Qualification based on professional tournament success.

The idea would be to encourage the likes of Steve Davis to play, and to discourage the likes of (no offense intended, mike Hallet and Anthony Hamilton).

....or rather, perhaps rebrand and have different tournament structures. Have an age band open to all tournament, but have a more restrictively qualified 'legends' tour/senior comp. We know there is a market for that......
    would a handicapped system work or is that something not done ?

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Doesn't seem like White entered it this year?
    3pm today against D.Dale

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied
    Didn't know Jim had passed on. RIP.

Always enjoyed his commentary.

Leave a comment:

• thommo335
    replied
    Jim Meadowcroft

Obviously many of these wouldn't play..[/QUOTE]
    Given that jim died last year and there were lots of appreciative and thoughtful comments on here about it. ..........

Leave a comment:

• Ramon
    replied
    Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
    A true legend but please please please Jimmy White, stop saying you could still win the World Championships.
    Also interviewers stop goading him into saying it.

https://youtu.be/aYf1kCHyn3Y?t=4m24s
    Lol , you never know what may happens . :snooker::

Leave a comment:

• mythman69
    replied
    Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
    A true legend but please please please Jimmy White, stop saying you could still win the World Championships.

Yeah, I think his time has well passed. But it is possible that he could win the world championship. He just needs to win all his matches.

Leave a comment:

• mikeyd100
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied
    I'd be a bit broader. Maybe something like all former top 16 ranked players plus ranking event winners over 45.

Think that would qualify the following:
    Dean Reynolds
    Stephen Hendry
    Patsy Fagan
    Cliff Thorburn
    James Wattana
    Dennis Taylor
    Alan McManus
    Peter Francisco
    Willie Thorne
    John Virgo
    Gary Wilkinson
    Tony Jones
    Steve James
    Jimmy White
    Silvino Francisco
    Darren Morgan
    John Parrott
    Bob Chaperon
    Doug Mountjoy
    Tony Knowles
    Mike Hallett
    Neal Foulds
    Rex Williams
    Alain Robidoux
    David Taylor
    Joe Johnson
    Kirk Stevens
    Steve Davis
    Peter Ebdon
    Joe Swail
    David Roe
    Ken Doherty
    Tony Drago
    Tony Meo
    Ray Reardon
    Perrie Mans
    Terry Griffiths
    Martin Clark
    Nigel Bond
    Dave Harold
    Jim Meadowcroft

Obviously many of these wouldn't play. Rex Williams and Reardon are in their 80's now and others don't play at all such as Griffiths, Thorne, Virgo...
    Last edited by Cyril; 30 January 2016, 11:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Hamilton is still a puppy at 45 but did you mean Mike Hallett?

Surely he ticks all the boxes? Pretty distinguished career record, 56 years of age, been retired from the Tour for 10 years or so...
    Hallett played in a ptc a few years back and lost to o'Sullivan 4-2 after winning his first 2 matches.

Leave a comment:

• bolton-cueman
    replied
    who's commentating with Clive on the Fergal O'Brien and Snorey McCelod match?

Leave a comment:

• tetricky
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    You would struggle to get a field with those restriction Tetricky.

Depends on the prestige, and the (appearance and...) prize money. I just think that at some level you have to accommodate what people want to pay to see.

Jimmy, Nuggett, Parrot, Hendry, Taylor, Thorburn, Griffiths, McManus with Doherty, Ebdon, Higgins, ROS, MJW, ready to follow up. surely there has to be a way of crafting something out of that lot....with the odd place for others to fight for (the likes of Neal Foulds, etc).

I'm not claiming to have all the answers, i just think it might have more commercial appeal.

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied
    I agree with your principle in there being a criteria from the point of view of making it more commercially attractive. If you made it multiple ranking event winners over age 45 years there wouldn't be that many.

Hallett's career CV stacks up pretty well to be fair. Only 1 ranking title but quite impressive nonetheless.

Career highest ranking: 6
    Twice Masters Finalist
    Twice Crucible quarterfinalist
    Tournament wins:
    1987 World Doubles
    1988 Fosters Professional
    1989 English Professional
    1989 Hong Kong Open
    1991 Belgian Masters
    1991 Scottish Masters
    1991 World Doubles

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    I see the case for Hallett....but I'd probably try to engineer qualification for the 'legends' tour to include more than one ranking title win.

I'm thinking worlds, UK's, or possibly Masters, as well.
    You would struggle to get a field with those restriction Tetricky.

Leave a comment:

• tetricky
    replied
    I see the case for Hallett....but I'd probably try to engineer qualification for the 'legends' tour to include more than one ranking title win.

I'm thinking worlds, UK's, or possibly Masters, as well.

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied
    The idea would be to encourage the likes of Steve Davis to play, and to discourage the likes of (no offense intended, mike Hallet and Anthony Hamilton).
    Hamilton is still a puppy at 45 but did you mean Mike Hallett?

Surely he ticks all the boxes? Pretty distinguished career record, 56 years of age, been retired from the Tour for 10 years or so...
    Last edited by Cyril; 30 January 2016, 09:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X