X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• markz
    replied
    Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    I thought it was great! Good fun and a superb break.
    I'm sure Ronnie must have read the topspin thread on here, it was impossible to run through for the black so took the pink lol.

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    I thought it was great! Good fun and a superb break.

Leave a comment:

• s.h442
    replied
    I do think the world championship should offer £147,000 prize for max + car. Although i doubt it Who knows maybe Barry Hearn will take Ronnie's message on board and try to get better companies than online bookies involved.

Leave a comment:

• MrRottweiler
    replied
    Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
    This. 'Disgraceful'; 'disrespectful'; 'arrogant'; 'poor fans'; blah, blah. No fan is deserving of anything and the amount of self-entitlement thrown around these days is simply ludicrous. I say fair play to him. Whether you agree with his opinion or not, at least he has the steel to make a stand for what he thinks rather than accept the situation as it is and carry on with his head down.

Personally, I found it highly amusing. It was obvious he was going to do something when he started chuckling to himself immediately after asking the question. I would rather be in the crowd watching the time Ronnie controversially turned down a 147, than be in the crowd watching 'just another 147'.
    Those 3 words - "just another 147" gives Ronnie his answer and I hope his kids understand why he did this as well because it's his family he answers to not the WSA or his devoted if not sometimes obsessive fans.

Leave a comment:

• MrRottweiler
    replied
    Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I really do fear for the future of snooker when Ronnie finally decides to retire.
    No offence mate but that seems really short sighted. Do you think a game that has existed long before Ronnie was born is going to end when he retires? Life goes on.

There will be no changes as a result of this and he could have done a lot more by just composing an email one saturday night. "Hi Bazza, I'm not happy about this 147 prize rubbish. Players want more and deserve it coz they work bloody hard innit. Can it be increased a bit?"

Yours faithfully etc etc,

Ronster

___

hey ronnie

thanks for the input and we know the 147 grand would be nice but where will it come from? sponsors wont offer it because they happen too often so you're living in the days of Embassy WC mate. Next you'll want a cognac to sip while you compile it eh?

will look in to it though. perhaps can increase player costs and fees to add to the maxumum fund.

cheers, bigbarry

Leave a comment:

• Snowblind
    replied
    Originally Posted by acpc89 View Post
    I find it amazingly strange how people feel so offended as though they were entitled to watch a 147. Also the fact that people keep mentioning the poor fans who have paid their hard earn cash to see Ronnie play and deserve the 147. No, they do not. You pay for what you get, and whether he got beat 4:1 today or won 4:1 with 4 147's or not its what you get. No one deserves anything when watching snooker. However when you pay or just watch Ronnie playing, chances are your going to be entertained more so than other players.

I do think he would of made the 147 had the audience/fans not been irritating him so much in the early stages of the match. But that's neither here nor there. I feel somewhat happy that he didnt make the 147, because had he done so, it would of just been another 147. With the usual superlatives 'genius', 'amazing', 'mozart of snooker' been used. Since he didnt make a 147, its now causing more lines to be written about snooker and himself which can only be good.

Also, people who keep moaning about 10k is a massive amount of cash for the hard working public, so what? I've never even had close to a quarter of that amount! And I do not feel hard done by, neither should anyone else. Ronnie is not a normal average Joe Bloggs. He can make more money away from Snooker yet chooses to play. As Barry Hearn recently said, no one player is bigger than any sport, but Ronnie is the closest it will ever be.

People should just enjoy watching him play, regardless of his on table antics. As there won't be another player like him.
    This. 'Disgraceful'; 'disrespectful'; 'arrogant'; 'poor fans'; blah, blah. No fan is deserving of anything and the amount of self-entitlement thrown around these days is simply ludicrous. I say fair play to him. Whether you agree with his opinion or not, at least he has the steel to make a stand for what he thinks rather than accept the situation as it is and carry on with his head down.

Personally, I found it highly amusing. It was obvious he was going to do something when he started chuckling to himself immediately after asking the question. I would rather be in the crowd watching the time Ronnie controversially turned down a 147, than be in the crowd watching 'just another 147'.

Leave a comment:

• The Statman
    replied
    Originally Posted by belfast141 View Post
    Well as stated on the WPBSA website a player has to play to the best of their ability..... todays antics from Ronnie is a clear breach of that surely? dont start us Belfast ones in a argument over betting....... we will go Higgy on yas lol lol

;-)
    Not so sure about that; he cleared the table so I'm not sure a "not playing to the best of his ability" charge would stick; you can't dictate the individual shots a player plays if he's going for sensible pots.

As I said earlier but couldn't think of the right words - I think it's disrespectful, but not "unacceptable" as Barry Hearn put it.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    While Ronnie was having his first retirement, more people went to watch the snooker, I don't know about viewing figures for the TV, but attendances were on the up, I only know this as I asked this question a couple of years back and folk on here told me.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    I really do fear for the future of snooker when Ronnie finally decides to retire.

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Not even nearly a breach. He finished on the wrong side of the last red, meaning the last black would have been far less of a certainty than the easy pink to middle.
    He had a daft grin on his face for a lot of the break, he knew exactly what he was doing by landing short on the black.

Leave a comment:

• thevenue2
    replied
    Breach?? HE CLEARED THE TABLE!! Jesus, some people really need to get a grip... 10k this, 10k that.... so what? The crowd were entertained, they got what they paid for, he received generous applause at the end of the match. He made his point, the loudest way he could. Hopefully things will change for the better.

Oh, and to the erm "fans of snooker" who are wishing him to retire.... careful, maybe you'll be regretting that wish by the time the world champs is being played at a Butlins resort on Sky channel 567363328....

Leave a comment:

• scottley
    replied
    Originally Posted by armstm View Post
    To scottley - like your clearance on the colours; left handed blue!!!!
    Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Le Ball Sack
    replied
    Surely him refusing to pot the black (after Jan persuaded him to in the end) a few years back was more of a breach then what happened today.

Leave a comment:

• daffie
    replied
    Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
    It's a very poor show...

A sad day for Snooker and Ronnie and maybe what the game needs the most is for the day to arrive when he announces he's realised he can win more at 9ball and retires from Snooker to move to the US.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

And I'm counting the days myself, waiting to hear the 'great man' announce his definitive retirement. (maybe he can follow Hendry to China...big bucks out there for sure!)

Leave a comment:

• armstm
    replied
    To scottley - like your clearance on the colours; left handed blue!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X