X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ste bed
    replied
    Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Well I've just watched it and thought it was fantastic - by the sound of her voice, even the referee was having a little laugh as she respotted the pink

I think as much as snooker politics, it was Ronnie refusing to do what everyone was expecting him to do, and there's no harm in a little defiance like that.
    Totally agree fantastic watch just take it for what it is a superb break why as money and right and wrong even need to come into it.

Leave a comment:

• The Statman
    replied
    Having said that, he's not broken any rules of the game or the tournament, so it's certainly doesn't warrant any official action.

Just a bit disappointing from the moral point of view, so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• The Statman
    replied
    The Maximum prize for each tournament was done away with because maximums were becoming so frequent, the maxi bonus was too expensive to insure against.

I'm lucky to have seen 9 maximums live, three of them by O'Sullivan, and so it wouldn't have bothered me overmuch if I'd been in the audience today. But having said that, today's action is about £8 for an all-day ticket, and I wonder how many of today's spectators wouldn't have been regular snooker-goers like me, and who would have relished the chance to see a 147. And for whom £10k would mean an awful lot!

So I'm not personally offended but it was a bit of a childish reaction to an amount of money that, a few years ago, he'd have claimed he'd needed to pay the school fees.

On the whole, it's disapproval from me.

Leave a comment:

• Guywp88
    replied
    Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
    Should have bet on a 146, probably get better odds.
    Good point!

Leave a comment:

• Le Ball Sack
    replied
    The crowd witnessed something special. 146 are rarer than 147s.

Leave a comment:

• Guywp88
    replied
    Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Didn't see it myself, but I feel fairly indifferent about his decision. Maybe if I'd seen it I might think differently, but if snooker politics are involved then he's certainly made a point, hasn't he?
    Just watched the video. The grin on his face suggests he knew what he was doing. He could've played some shots differently if he really wanted the maximum.

Like you say, if he's intending to make a point what better way?

It's a bigger talking point for people in the audience to say I saw Ronnie choose not to hit a maximum, surely? Like someone said earlier it will get a lot of coverage!

Leave a comment:

• Giggity1984
    replied
    He's entitled to play whatever balls he wants to as long as it adheres to the rules. It's not written anywhere that a player must score the highest number of points possible every time they visit the table.

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Well I've just watched it and thought it was fantastic - by the sound of her voice, even the referee was having a little laugh as she respotted the pink

I think as much as snooker politics, it was Ronnie refusing to do what everyone was expecting him to do, and there's no harm in a little defiance like that.

Leave a comment:

• vilkrang
    replied
    Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
    smacked arse spoilt brat are the words that spring to mind....

what about the punters who bet on a 147 in the match or tournament?
    Should have bet on a 146, probably get better odds.

Leave a comment:

• andy carson
    replied
    smacked arse spoilt brat are the words that spring to mind....

what about the punters who bet on a 147 in the match or tournament?

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Didn't see it myself, but I feel fairly indifferent about his decision. Maybe if I'd seen it I might think differently, but if snooker politics are involved then he's certainly made a point, hasn't he?

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    Some break that , whether you think he was right or wrong .

Leave a comment:

• Hello, Mr Big Shot
    replied
    Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
    If i had of been in the crowd as soon as he potted the pink i would have stood up and left, i also would have been very vocal if anything was said.
    He was short of pace on the penultimate red. Not saying he couldn't have got on the black but it wasn't straight forward. Who knows if he planned this or not - maybe even he didn't know.

Had you walked you'd have missed that blue - what a shot!

Leave a comment:

• acpc89
    replied
    Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    So who is going to supply all this money then ??
    The money is all there, it just needs to be better structured. But it was a point Hearn made when he took over. To remove the high max prize but boost the lower ranked players earnings. So he could turn around and say that the players are better off. I do think a 30k min should be for a max, and add 5k for each tournament would be a lot better. It's not like were having a max every ranking tournament. remove £250 off 128 players and that is 32k. or £500 for the prize funds going to the last 64 and again 32k is made for the prize fund.

Leave a comment:

• <CuePower>
    replied
    Originally Posted by acpc89 View Post
    I find it amazingly strange how people feel so offended as though they were entitled to watch a 147. Also the fact that people keep mentioning the poor fans who have paid their hard earn cash to see Ronnie play and deserve the 147. No, they do not. You pay for what you get, and whether he got beat 4:1 today or won 4:1 with 4 147's or not its what you get. No one deserves anything when watching snooker. However when you pay or just watch Ronnie playing, chances are your going to be entertained more so than other players.

I do think he would of made the 147 had the audience/fans not been irritating him so much in the early stages of the match. But that's neither here nor there. I feel somewhat happy that he didnt make the 147, because had he done so, it would of just been another 147. With the usual superlatives 'genius', 'amazing', 'mozart of snooker' been used. Since he didnt make a 147, its now causing more lines to be written about snooker and himself which can only be good.

Also, people who keep moaning about 10k is a massive amount of cash for the hard working public, so what? I've never even had close to a quarter of that amount! And I do not feel hard done by, neither should anyone else. Ronnie is not a normal average Joe Bloggs. He can make more money away from Snooker yet chooses to play. As Barry Hearn recently said, no one player is bigger than any sport, but Ronnie is the closest it will ever be.

People should just enjoy watching him play, regardless of his on table antics. As there won't be another player like him.
    Absolutely spot on man, agree with everything you said....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X