Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion on Ronnie declining the 147?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Well I've just watched it and thought it was fantastic - by the sound of her voice, even the referee was having a little laugh as she respotted the pink

    I think as much as snooker politics, it was Ronnie refusing to do what everyone was expecting him to do, and there's no harm in a little defiance like that.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

    Comment


    • #32
      He's entitled to play whatever balls he wants to as long as it adheres to the rules. It's not written anywhere that a player must score the highest number of points possible every time they visit the table.
      Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Billy View Post
        Didn't see it myself, but I feel fairly indifferent about his decision. Maybe if I'd seen it I might think differently, but if snooker politics are involved then he's certainly made a point, hasn't he?
        Just watched the video. The grin on his face suggests he knew what he was doing. He could've played some shots differently if he really wanted the maximum.

        Like you say, if he's intending to make a point what better way?

        It's a bigger talking point for people in the audience to say I saw Ronnie choose not to hit a maximum, surely? Like someone said earlier it will get a lot of coverage!

        Comment


        • #34
          The crowd witnessed something special. 146 are rarer than 147s.
          "Am too good not to win this tournament" - Stephen Hendry

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by vilkrang View Post
            Should have bet on a 146, probably get better odds.
            Good point!

            Comment


            • #36
              The Maximum prize for each tournament was done away with because maximums were becoming so frequent, the maxi bonus was too expensive to insure against.

              I'm lucky to have seen 9 maximums live, three of them by O'Sullivan, and so it wouldn't have bothered me overmuch if I'd been in the audience today. But having said that, today's action is about £8 for an all-day ticket, and I wonder how many of today's spectators wouldn't have been regular snooker-goers like me, and who would have relished the chance to see a 147. And for whom £10k would mean an awful lot!

              So I'm not personally offended but it was a bit of a childish reaction to an amount of money that, a few years ago, he'd have claimed he'd needed to pay the school fees.

              On the whole, it's disapproval from me.

              Comment


              • #37
                Having said that, he's not broken any rules of the game or the tournament, so it's certainly doesn't warrant any official action.

                Just a bit disappointing from the moral point of view, so to speak.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Billy View Post
                  Well I've just watched it and thought it was fantastic - by the sound of her voice, even the referee was having a little laugh as she respotted the pink

                  I think as much as snooker politics, it was Ronnie refusing to do what everyone was expecting him to do, and there's no harm in a little defiance like that.
                  Totally agree fantastic watch just take it for what it is a superb break why as money and right and wrong even need to come into it.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Out of interest, how does the prize for a 147 compare with what you get for a 9-dart finish in darts? Does that also vary by tournament?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      The guy is remarkable for sure. I salute his actions totally. He is the one to decide what he does no one else, let alone the 'paying' spectators. He's got the game by the dogs danglies!!!
                      I think that his refusal of the Max is right up there in terms of ability and entertainment. He is the boss! Like him or loathe him he is box office for anything he does. Oh and by the way...In case anyone missed it...He won!
                      Cheap and Cheerful! 😄

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by inevermissblue View Post
                        The guy is remarkable for sure. I salute his actions totally. He is the one to decide what he does no one else, let alone the 'paying' spectators. He's got the game by the dogs danglies!!!
                        I think that his refusal of the Max is right up there in terms of ability and entertainment. He is the boss! Like him or loathe him he is box office for anything he does. Oh and by the way...In case anyone missed it...He won!
                        whats it like to see through another mans eyeballs?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by andy carson View Post
                          smacked arse spoilt brat are the words that spring to mind....

                          what about the punters who bet on a 147 in the match or tournament?
                          BetVictor actually paid out the people who bet on there being a maximum in the tournament! They paid out bets on there being a 147 in the whole tournament at 11/10 and in that specific match which was 66/1.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by inevermissblue View Post
                            The guy is remarkable for sure. I salute his actions totally. He is the one to decide what he does no one else, let alone the 'paying' spectators. He's got the game by the dogs danglies!!!
                            I think that his refusal of the Max is right up there in terms of ability and entertainment. He is the boss! Like him or loathe him he is box office for anything he does. Oh and by the way...In case anyone missed it...He won!
                            Spot on bluey

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              i have money on a 147 being hit in the tournament.. its not life changing cash... its only a few quid...... but whats the point in ppl bettin on such things if players can just refuse 2 go 4 them willy-nilly ??? will email william hill and see what they say..... might give me my money back lol
                              Snooker Loopy

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by belfast141 View Post
                                i have money on a 147 being hit in the tournament.. its not life changing cash... its only a few quid...... but whats the point in ppl bettin on such things if players can just refuse 2 go 4 them willy-nilly ??? will email william hill and see what they say..... might give me my money back lol
                                Worth asking. I understand that BetVictor did pay up for it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X