No announcement yet.

Opinion on Ronnie declining the 147?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While Ronnie was having his first retirement, more people went to watch the snooker, I don't know about viewing figures for the TV, but attendances were on the up, I only know this as I asked this question a couple of years back and folk on here told me.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by belfast141 View Post
      Well as stated on the WPBSA website a player has to play to the best of their ability..... todays antics from Ronnie is a clear breach of that surely? dont start us Belfast ones in a argument over betting....... we will go Higgy on yas lol lol

;-)
      Not so sure about that; he cleared the table so I'm not sure a "not playing to the best of his ability" charge would stick; you can't dictate the individual shots a player plays if he's going for sensible pots.

As I said earlier but couldn't think of the right words - I think it's disrespectful, but not "unacceptable" as Barry Hearn put it.

Comment

Originally Posted by acpc89 View Post
        I find it amazingly strange how people feel so offended as though they were entitled to watch a 147. Also the fact that people keep mentioning the poor fans who have paid their hard earn cash to see Ronnie play and deserve the 147. No, they do not. You pay for what you get, and whether he got beat 4:1 today or won 4:1 with 4 147's or not its what you get. No one deserves anything when watching snooker. However when you pay or just watch Ronnie playing, chances are your going to be entertained more so than other players.

I do think he would of made the 147 had the audience/fans not been irritating him so much in the early stages of the match. But that's neither here nor there. I feel somewhat happy that he didnt make the 147, because had he done so, it would of just been another 147. With the usual superlatives 'genius', 'amazing', 'mozart of snooker' been used. Since he didnt make a 147, its now causing more lines to be written about snooker and himself which can only be good.

Also, people who keep moaning about 10k is a massive amount of cash for the hard working public, so what? I've never even had close to a quarter of that amount! And I do not feel hard done by, neither should anyone else. Ronnie is not a normal average Joe Bloggs. He can make more money away from Snooker yet chooses to play. As Barry Hearn recently said, no one player is bigger than any sport, but Ronnie is the closest it will ever be.

People should just enjoy watching him play, regardless of his on table antics. As there won't be another player like him.
        This. 'Disgraceful'; 'disrespectful'; 'arrogant'; 'poor fans'; blah, blah. No fan is deserving of anything and the amount of self-entitlement thrown around these days is simply ludicrous. I say fair play to him. Whether you agree with his opinion or not, at least he has the steel to make a stand for what he thinks rather than accept the situation as it is and carry on with his head down.

Personally, I found it highly amusing. It was obvious he was going to do something when he started chuckling to himself immediately after asking the question. I would rather be in the crowd watching the time Ronnie controversially turned down a 147, than be in the crowd watching 'just another 147'.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
          I really do fear for the future of snooker when Ronnie finally decides to retire.
          No offence mate but that seems really short sighted. Do you think a game that has existed long before Ronnie was born is going to end when he retires? Life goes on.

There will be no changes as a result of this and he could have done a lot more by just composing an email one saturday night. "Hi Bazza, I'm not happy about this 147 prize rubbish. Players want more and deserve it coz they work bloody hard innit. Can it be increased a bit?"

Yours faithfully etc etc,

Ronster

___

hey ronnie

thanks for the input and we know the 147 grand would be nice but where will it come from? sponsors wont offer it because they happen too often so you're living in the days of Embassy WC mate. Next you'll want a cognac to sip while you compile it eh?

will look in to it though. perhaps can increase player costs and fees to add to the maxumum fund.

cheers, bigbarry
          www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
            This. 'Disgraceful'; 'disrespectful'; 'arrogant'; 'poor fans'; blah, blah. No fan is deserving of anything and the amount of self-entitlement thrown around these days is simply ludicrous. I say fair play to him. Whether you agree with his opinion or not, at least he has the steel to make a stand for what he thinks rather than accept the situation as it is and carry on with his head down.

Personally, I found it highly amusing. It was obvious he was going to do something when he started chuckling to himself immediately after asking the question. I would rather be in the crowd watching the time Ronnie controversially turned down a 147, than be in the crowd watching 'just another 147'.
            Those 3 words - "just another 147" gives Ronnie his answer and I hope his kids understand why he did this as well because it's his family he answers to not the WSA or his devoted if not sometimes obsessive fans.
            www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

I do think the world championship should offer £147,000 prize for max + car. Although i doubt it Who knows maybe Barry Hearn will take Ronnie's message on board and try to get better companies than online bookies involved.

Comment

I thought it was great! Good fun and a superb break.
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                  I thought it was great! Good fun and a superb break.
                  I'm sure Ronnie must have read the topspin thread on here, it was impossible to run through for the black so took the pink lol.

Comment

You've nailed it Markz

Comment

I think that he can do what he wants... I dont think they will come out with a new rule that says they must try a 147 if its available... this might be a punch at all the rules that already exist.... you need a lawyer to pick up a cue and play in the pros.....
                      I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        You've nailed it Markz
                        Saw Ronnie reading a physics book just before match started lol

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                          Saw Ronnie reading a physics book just before match started lol
                          Reading? I think you mean colouring in.

Comment

Just read what he said on BBC Sport website . Interesting to see his take on it . If I could copy and paste on this iPad I would put it up but i am useless so I can't .

See Barry Hearn has tweeted a few comments .....not happy with what he did . But really he thinks ...great ....more coverage for snooker in the papers .
                            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                              I'm sure Ronnie must have read the topspin thread on here, it was impossible to run through for the black so took the pink lol.
                              Ahahaha! Brilliant Mark!
                              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

It's a technicality to argue that the pink was the better choice because that might be the case but the frame was won at that point and only the maximum was the target. The frame was secured so shot selection was at the exhibition stage and he prooved that in a definitve fashion. Frame won = check, century = check, maximum = pending....

Instead of all this comotion now we should wait and see what happens. We need to see what the NET result is before we choose to call him a hero or zero.

He maybe the biggest name in the sport but that doesn't mean he can change the rules overnight and certainly not by protest. Is Barry Hearn the kind of person who will succumb to this? Of course not so it makes it even more ridiculous.
                                www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Working...
                                X