No announcement yet.

Opinion on Ronnie declining the 147?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have pondered this for a while and on the one hand I feel he produced something somehow better than a 147. A "147 declined" if there ever was one. Though Its hard to say for sure he would have made one, anything can happen.

But I'm not really sure his point was one worth making. The big 147 prizes were big because they were so rare at one point. Now we get a handful a season and I think the rolling prize money is sufficient.

How much do bowlers get for a 300 game? Pitchers for a no hitter? How much for a 9 dart finish? Or a 200 and out in straight pool?"'

Comment

• Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
      I have pondered this for a while and on the one hand I feel he produced something somehow better than a 147. A "147 declined" if there ever was one. Though Its hard to say for sure he would have made one, anything can happen.

But I'm not really sure his point was one worth making. The big 147 prizes were big because they were so rare at one point. Now we get a handful a season and I think the rolling prize money is sufficient.

How much do bowlers get for a 300 game? Pitchers for a no hitter? How much for a 9 dart finish? Or a 200 and out in straight pool?"'
      whats a nine dart finish? lol

Comment

• Ronnie is a brilliant snooker player when he is on it. Better than there's ever been...but he's not always on it. Anyway I digress.

I have no problem with him being his own person, thinking what he wants, doing what he wants. I think that you should judge a football player to what he brings to the park, an athlete to his performances on the track, and a snooker player to what he does on the baize. I do not need to know their thoughts and feelings about finance, science, the arts, literature, or politics....unless they happen to also be experts in those fields. They rarely are.

Sportsmen DO have a responsibility to their opponents, and to the game, to be respectful and protect the image of the game. If they don't they are taking a dump in everyone sandpit, and it's the responsibility of the governing body to sort them out. If you choose not to compete, that's your absolute right. but you shouldn't be judged as being a star for it...you just couldn't, whether it be physical or mental, get yourself to the line to compete....so you lost by default. In the same way, despite what Ronnie fans might like to think, this is not a "147 declined". It's just not a 147 - like every other break that's not a maximum. They're rare because only an idiot would pass up the chance to make a max when past the winning post. It was a good break, but it was also a bit stupid to end up on it.

In a game that's always had it's share of non-conformists and mavericks Ronnie is right up there with the worst of them when it comes to saying and doing the most idiotic and disrespectful things. A lot of people lap it up like he's invented imagination, but to me it's just all a bit emotionally underdeveloped. I wont miss the constant childlike neediness when he's gone. I sincerely hope that he doesn't miss the attention that he wont get any more.

I think his behaviour is wrong. I don't like it....but as much as anything I worry for him in the long term.

For all ROS's ability and remarkable play, my hero's will still be the likes of Davis, Reardon, and Spencer, who were steely and relentless on the right side of the edge when decimating all before them, and humble and generous when their time passed. Men, not boys.
        Last edited by tetricky; 16 February 2016, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
          whats a nine dart finish? lol
          Perfect game/leg of darts. Scoring 501 points using 9 darts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-dart_finish

Comment

• Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
            I cant stand this forum sometimes, how pathetic are some of the these people that all they do is criticize and judge. Ronnie is Ronnie, hes been doing stuff like this his whole career yet everyone still acts surprised. Hate him or love him its undeniable how good he is for the sport. People just want to run their mouths and belittle him....the guys a genius. He had his reasons for what he did wether people think its right or wrong who gives a crap. I thought it was brilliant what he did.. we always see 147's but how rare are 146's and antics like this are much more exciting IMO.
            Well said Oma. The bit about people are surprised he done it is spot on.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
              Ronnie O Sullivan owes the fans or the paying public absolutely sweet FA!

He is at the top of the sport through his own work and determination.

The self righteousness that people display over things like this is exactly what's wrong with society. Everyone thinks they're entitled to something.

It's like people who say 'I have the right to an opinion' but what they really mean is 'you are obliged to listen to my opinion' it's nonsense!

ROS is a fantastic snooker player. But we all know he is a sub par ambassador for the game so who really cares what he does?

If you feel entitled to see a maximum then go and put the hours in on the table and make one for yourself. ROS owes the fans absolutely nothing.
              Pretty sure ROS owes the fans a lot because they have provided him with a privileged livelihood, including whatever insanely expensive school he sends his son to and they also allow him to act like an absolute twat without actually having to deal with any consequences.

Comment

• They didnt provide him anything he worked hard to be where hes at you pessimistic *****.

Comment

• L
                  Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
                  He is a disgrace. If I'd had been in crowd I would have shouted some abuse at him and walked out, he's just a horrible little piece of gutter trash, a truly classless piece of work. Snookers in the pits that he can do what he wants, play when he wants and the games beholding to him, the time will come though when he's not around and he will be remembered for the disgrace he was to the game, talented yes but a disgrace to the game. Hendry buried him in 99 and 02 when past his best. You Ronnie loving clowns should remember that. As for Hearn, why he's condoning it for the free publicity I don't know, it's not as if anyone with a brain can't see through it. All you have to do is look at the posters for the Welsh Open, John Higgins is centre shot of all the pr stuff!!!!! Sums the state of the game up really!!!!!!! Going down the toilet, only China can save it now because snooker is finished in the uk. Just look at the snooker clubs and social clubs with tables that are closing down everywhere, the ones that are open are full of old boys, there's more money in darts and kids aren't playing the game anymore! In ten years it will be China or bust!!!!!
                  Total pill of sh#t

Comment

• Owes the fans.. Lol

Yeh, course he does.

Comment

• Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                      L

Total pill of sh#t
                      You're clearly the bigger pill of sh#t, lol pathetic.

Comment

They didnt provide him anything he worked hard to be where hes at you pessimistic *****.
                        Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                        L

Total pill of sh#t
                        Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                        You're clearly the bigger pill of sh#t, lol pathetic.
                        Calm down lads, the mods may be watching

Comment

• Surprised you're not a new mod John.. or, are ya? Lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by cally View Post
                            Surprised you're not a new mod John.. or, are ya? Lol
                            Nah iv'e got too short a fuse, would end up swearing too much lol

Comment

• I agree with this. he's a gem to watch and the sport is poorer without him. it's a bit of fun, gets people talking - what's wrong with that? Muhammad ali did a bit of trash talking in his prime - now no one remembers that, everyone remembers the good stuff.
                              Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                              Ronnie O Sullivan owes the fans or the paying public absolutely sweet FA!

He is at the top of the sport through his own work and determination.

The self righteousness that people display over things like this is exactly what's wrong with society. Everyone thinks they're entitled to something.

It's like people who say 'I have the right to an opinion' but what they really mean is 'you are obliged to listen to my opinion' it's nonsense!

ROS is a fantastic snooker player. But we all know he is a sub par ambassador for the game so who really cares what he does?

If you feel entitled to see a maximum then go and put the hours in on the table and make one for yourself. ROS owes the fans absolutely nothing.
                              Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

Comment

They didnt provide him anything he worked hard to be where hes at you pessimistic *****.
                                Well there are plenty of things I could work hard at and I wouldn't get jack **** in return. I could build up the biggest and best stamp collection known to man but do you think people are actually going to pay me to see it? No

Ronnie should consider himself a very privileged guy, not only because he has been blessed with a tremendous amount of talent, but also because there are plenty of people out there who are interested in his talent and will pay him to see him exhibit this talent. And yet, your attitude seems to be that he doesn't owe anybody anything simply because he has 'worked hard'. Well it's not how it works I'm afraid, Ronnie relies on a lot of people so he can lead the very privileged life he leads and he could do with recognising that, it would prevent him from being such an arrogant buffoon.

P.S. Can't wait until he retires because I find his matches incredibly dull and predictable.

Comment

Working...
                                X