No announcement yet.

Opinion on Ronnie declining the 147?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in two minds, on the one hand if you are in the audience for one of his 147s then unless he does it under 5 min 20 (once in a lifetime event and won't ever happen again, certainly not for him anyway as he has slightly slowed down his average shot time) then it's not really that rare considering he has 13 of them now. On the other hand, the 146 will probably be remembered (rightly or wrongly) and referenced far more often than any of his other maximums, apart from the 5m20s one and maybe the one in the final frame decider against Selby.

On the other hand I'd be thinking "For ****'s sake, one chance to see the best player to pick up a cue make a maxi and he's decided it's not worth enough money".

I still think those in the audience will have a more interesting story to tell seeing as it was in the early rounds and as mentioned, his early round maximums (5m20s aside) aren't recalled as much as the one's in finals (or deciders).

Genuinely not sure how I'd feel, gut feeling is initially disappointed, but 146 would be a better story to tell down the line.

Comment

• Paraphrasing Barry Hearn " Without its characters sport dies" .
      You'll miss him when he's gone.

Comment

• I will always be a " Ronnie Fan " but I have to say I feel he made a decision to hold something back from his fans rather than share something with his fans... too bad.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Eracn View Post
          Paraphrasing Barry Hearn " Without its characters sport dies" .
          You'll miss him when he's gone.
          I waited decades for the chance to miss Hendry when he was gone.

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
            I waited decades for the chance to miss Hendry when he was gone.
            Lol.

Davis, too. Can't wait for Robertson to eff off, anorl.

Seriously, though, Ronnie transcends all. What will snooker look like once he's gone? Will there even be Snooker? Snooker had better find a draw sooner rather than later, because i see nothing waiting in the wings.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jwinsor View Post
              I will always be a " Ronnie Fan " but I have to say I feel he made a decision to hold something back from his fans rather than share something with his fans... too bad.
              Yep, he's like that, a spoiled brat sometimes. Silly. So glad to see Ding inadvertently put the egg on his face. LOL

Big rocket fan but he really is a sticky fingered chav monster.

Comment

• Originally Posted by focus View Post
                Yep, he's like that, a spoiled brat sometimes. Silly. So glad to see Ding inadvertently put the egg on his face. LOL

Big rocket fan but he really is a sticky fingered chav monster.
                Yep glad Ding got the 147 and the prize money

Comment

• I take it Ding didn't get the 60k from the betting firm ... Only the 12k from world snooker ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                    I take it Ding didn't get the 60k from the betting firm ... Only the 12k from world snooker ?
                    Paddy Power offered the 60k as another of their gimmicks. When asked if they would give it to Ding, they declined saying the prize was only for Ronnie, if he did it. Like Ronnie, they come out of the same chav-monster cradle. Classy are Paddy. Now imagine is they'd given the 60k to charity when Ding did it, as an alternative; as Ronnie should have for doing a cheap maxi.

Comment

• Albeit I am new on this forum; HELLO!
                      I have to declare that I love Ronnie and he has inspired me to take the game seriously again, albeit with a pinch of salt.
                      Ronnie declining to make a 147 was genius on so many levels. Did the crowd miss out on a 147? Yes they did.
                      But how many times can a spectator say "I watched a guy refuse to make a 147... Because he can."
                      Love him - Greatest talent the game has ever seen!
                      "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                      National Snooker Expo
                      25-27 October 2019
                      http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

• Albeit I am new on this forum; HELLO!
                        I have to declare that I love Ronnie and he has inspired me to take the game seriously again, albeit with a pinch of salt.
                        Ronnie declining to make a 147 was genius on so many levels. Did the crowd miss out on a 147? Yes they did.
                        But how many times can a spectator say "I watched a guy refuse to make a 147... Because he can."
                        Love him - Greatest talent the game has ever seen!
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019

Comment

• Nope, he just didn't make a 147. Failed to back himself to get onto the black, and took an easier pink instead.

Comment

• Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
                            Nope, he just didn't make a 147. Failed to back himself to get onto the black, and took an easier pink instead.
                            he could have easily played on the black, you saw the naughty little boy inside him smiling from about 40 points in, he knew what he was going to do and done it.

Comment

• :snooker: I agree ^^
                              National Snooker Expo
                              25-27 October 2019

Comment

• Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
                                he could have easily played on the black, you saw the naughty little boy inside him smiling from about 40 points in, he knew what he was going to do and done it.
                                Chopped liver. He didn't do it, you, me, or even him, actually have no idea whether he would have done it. you can speculate all you want, but the fact is that it was not a 147.

Comment

Working...
                                X