• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ste bed
    replied
    L
    Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    He is a disgrace. If I'd had been in crowd I would have shouted some abuse at him and walked out, he's just a horrible little piece of gutter trash, a truly classless piece of work. Snookers in the pits that he can do what he wants, play when he wants and the games beholding to him, the time will come though when he's not around and he will be remembered for the disgrace he was to the game, talented yes but a disgrace to the game. Hendry buried him in 99 and 02 when past his best. You Ronnie loving clowns should remember that. As for Hearn, why he's condoning it for the free publicity I don't know, it's not as if anyone with a brain can't see through it. All you have to do is look at the posters for the Welsh Open, John Higgins is centre shot of all the pr stuff!!!!! Sums the state of the game up really!!!!!!! Going down the toilet, only China can save it now because snooker is finished in the uk. Just look at the snooker clubs and social clubs with tables that are closing down everywhere, the ones that are open are full of old boys, there's more money in darts and kids aren't playing the game anymore! In ten years it will be China or bust!!!!!
    Total pill of sh#t

Leave a comment:

• OmaMiesta
    replied
    They didnt provide him anything he worked hard to be where hes at you pessimistic *****.

Leave a comment:

• P.Smith
    replied
    Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Ronnie O Sullivan owes the fans or the paying public absolutely sweet FA!

He is at the top of the sport through his own work and determination.

The self righteousness that people display over things like this is exactly what's wrong with society. Everyone thinks they're entitled to something.

It's like people who say 'I have the right to an opinion' but what they really mean is 'you are obliged to listen to my opinion' it's nonsense!

ROS is a fantastic snooker player. But we all know he is a sub par ambassador for the game so who really cares what he does?

If you feel entitled to see a maximum then go and put the hours in on the table and make one for yourself. ROS owes the fans absolutely nothing.
    Pretty sure ROS owes the fans a lot because they have provided him with a privileged livelihood, including whatever insanely expensive school he sends his son to and they also allow him to act like an absolute twat without actually having to deal with any consequences.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
    I cant stand this forum sometimes, how pathetic are some of the these people that all they do is criticize and judge. Ronnie is Ronnie, hes been doing stuff like this his whole career yet everyone still acts surprised. Hate him or love him its undeniable how good he is for the sport. People just want to run their mouths and belittle him....the guys a genius. He had his reasons for what he did wether people think its right or wrong who gives a crap. I thought it was brilliant what he did.. we always see 147's but how rare are 146's and antics like this are much more exciting IMO.
    Well said Oma. The bit about people are surprised he done it is spot on.

Leave a comment:

• Csmith
    replied
    Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
    whats a nine dart finish? lol
    Perfect game/leg of darts. Scoring 501 points using 9 darts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-dart_finish

Leave a comment:

• tetricky
    replied
    Ronnie is a brilliant snooker player when he is on it. Better than there's ever been...but he's not always on it. Anyway I digress.

I have no problem with him being his own person, thinking what he wants, doing what he wants. I think that you should judge a football player to what he brings to the park, an athlete to his performances on the track, and a snooker player to what he does on the baize. I do not need to know their thoughts and feelings about finance, science, the arts, literature, or politics....unless they happen to also be experts in those fields. They rarely are.

Sportsmen DO have a responsibility to their opponents, and to the game, to be respectful and protect the image of the game. If they don't they are taking a dump in everyone sandpit, and it's the responsibility of the governing body to sort them out. If you choose not to compete, that's your absolute right. but you shouldn't be judged as being a star for it...you just couldn't, whether it be physical or mental, get yourself to the line to compete....so you lost by default. In the same way, despite what Ronnie fans might like to think, this is not a "147 declined". It's just not a 147 - like every other break that's not a maximum. They're rare because only an idiot would pass up the chance to make a max when past the winning post. It was a good break, but it was also a bit stupid to end up on it.

In a game that's always had it's share of non-conformists and mavericks Ronnie is right up there with the worst of them when it comes to saying and doing the most idiotic and disrespectful things. A lot of people lap it up like he's invented imagination, but to me it's just all a bit emotionally underdeveloped. I wont miss the constant childlike neediness when he's gone. I sincerely hope that he doesn't miss the attention that he wont get any more.

I think his behaviour is wrong. I don't like it....but as much as anything I worry for him in the long term.

For all ROS's ability and remarkable play, my hero's will still be the likes of Davis, Reardon, and Spencer, who were steely and relentless on the right side of the edge when decimating all before them, and humble and generous when their time passed. Men, not boys.
    Last edited by tetricky; 16 February 2016, 07:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• golferson123
    replied
    Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
    I have pondered this for a while and on the one hand I feel he produced something somehow better than a 147. A "147 declined" if there ever was one. Though Its hard to say for sure he would have made one, anything can happen.

But I'm not really sure his point was one worth making. The big 147 prizes were big because they were so rare at one point. Now we get a handful a season and I think the rolling prize money is sufficient.

How much do bowlers get for a 300 game? Pitchers for a no hitter? How much for a 9 dart finish? Or a 200 and out in straight pool?"'
    whats a nine dart finish? lol

Leave a comment:

• Csmith
    replied
    I have pondered this for a while and on the one hand I feel he produced something somehow better than a 147. A "147 declined" if there ever was one. Though Its hard to say for sure he would have made one, anything can happen.

But I'm not really sure his point was one worth making. The big 147 prizes were big because they were so rare at one point. Now we get a handful a season and I think the rolling prize money is sufficient.

How much do bowlers get for a 300 game? Pitchers for a no hitter? How much for a 9 dart finish? Or a 200 and out in straight pool?"'

Leave a comment:

• Hatcherjob
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Hatcher he wasn't holding a mirror up to us, no one in the whole place was bothered about how much money was available for the maxi, they just wanted to see one of the great achievements that a snooker player can do. Oh no wait there was one person bothered about the money ,Ronnie Osullivan, he's the one that was obsessed by how much, he's the one that asked repeatedly how much, even though the ref had told him, he's the one that was laughing about what he was about to do,I bet the crowd would of had a whip round to give him more money to do the maxi, so if your going to point fingers at who did what, make sure you point them in the right direction.
    My only gripe with Ronnie is how he explains himself. If the decision really was solely down to 10k not being enough than I'd agree with you. However, I think it is obvious that he was being mischievous and anarchic and the '10k being too cheap' was part of the theater. I don't believe anybody really thinks that do they? Unfortunately, this kind of levity has brought in to question the charity donation idea, but I agree with what Ronnie says today about being in the moment and absorbed by matters on the table. Somebody somewhere has raised the idea of making the money and giving it to charity if its 'too cheap' for him. Well, that idea was never part of any pre-match, pre-cognitive conversation. It is not a prevailing ideology in snooker 147s. It came after some musing by somebody after the game and caught on with others. Next time a Premier League player gets a red card and receives a fine, shall we say - "Hey, why didn't you keep your cool and stay on the field, then with the money you would have had to pay, you could have given that to charity instead?" "Oh yes, obviously."

Leave a comment:

• scottley
    replied
    Rumour has it Alain Robidoux still ain't speaking to him.

Leave a comment:

• OmaMiesta
    replied
    Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Another Ronnie battering thread coming up.
    I cant stand this forum sometimes, how pathetic are some of the these people that all they do is criticize and judge. Ronnie is Ronnie, hes been doing stuff like this his whole career yet everyone still acts surprised. Hate him or love him its undeniable how good he is for the sport. People just want to run their mouths and belittle him....the guys a genius. He had his reasons for what he did wether people think its right or wrong who gives a crap. I thought it was brilliant what he did.. we always see 147's but how rare are 146's and antics like this are much more exciting IMO.

Leave a comment:

• cally
    replied
    Gets ya talking snooker though doesn't he...

Leave a comment:

• daffie
    replied
    This is by far the best 1st post I have ever seen...by anyone...on any forum...period! A job well-done. :snooker:

(btw I completely agree with every point you make)

Leave a comment:

• badgermeat
    replied
    I have to say that Ronnie always produces mixed emotions with me. On the one hand, he can be hilarious and the fact he was laughing as he strolled round the table did make me chuckle. He didn't do anything technically wrong so who cares whether it's a 146 or 147, it's still a fantastic break, and when he's in full flow it's marvellous to watch.

On the other hand, I find his endless pronouncements about retiring boring and annoying, either put up or shut up. He can be incredibly disrespectful towards his opponents and who can forget his infantile behaviour at the China Open press conference? Cringe worthy to say the least. As is usual here, money is the real source of the problem, because there is a massive problem of wealth inequality in the world and the likes of Ronnie and your Messis and Ronaldos all live in a bubble.

I don't believe in the concept of money, it only benefits the wealthy, and it's telling that Ronnie can be so cavalier and stupid in his comments about trying to justify why a 147 should be worth more. A 147 is a display that shows the peak of skill in snooker, and Ronnie has already done it so often that it means almost nothing to him now (it seems).

Snooker is fine the way it is, I don't mind the music and flashing lights when the players are announced, but I'd hate it to go the way of darts. For me, snooker intrigues me on a mental level and I love the way you can almost feel the pressure and tension increase on critical shots, that for me is the beauty of the game. It is the best slow burner of tension and anticipation that you can get. Fair enough, when you have a runaway final that can be boring, a little bit of anticlimax, but the close matches I live for

Just because Ronnie is the most naturally talented player to ever pick up a cue, doesn't mean we shouldn't be critical of his behaviour, and we certainly shouldn't be putting him on any pedestal. He's no better or worse than you or me, all human beings are inherently flawed, we do need to be careful about superlatives!

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Originally Posted by Hatcherjob View Post
    Issues like this reflect far greater on us than it does on the artist. It certainly shows what political parties everyone votes for. I remember Tony Wilson used to tell Shaun Ryder he was a true poet and Ryder would dismiss this, as he had no education in poetry. In much the same way, I don't think Ronnie understands he is an artist and quite articulates the artistic statements he makes, simply because as a snooker player, he does not fit the profile. However, what he did yesterday was very akin to the artistic merits of KLF burning a million pound on an island and the 'Leeds 13' holiday-grant fiasco... he was holding a mirror at us. We in the west have a very unhealthy obsession with money, in the way an anorexic has for food. As far as I am aware, nobody in the history of professional snooker has made a 147 and donated the money to charity. If John Higgins made a 147 yesterday, where do you think it would have gone? Straight in to his bank account. And the same for Ronnie. So this idea that the money could have gone to charity is an entirely extraneous point of view. Incidentally, that 10k is still in existence, just in the sponsor's pocket, rather than a player's, can't they donate it?

So here, we have an all too rare sports personality, putting principle before money, but we don't applaud that. We live in a magazine culture where figureheads climb and fall an imaginary ranking ladder of popularity and we cue up to judge them and comment, and the rise and falls can be dramatic. Ronaldo earns preposterous amounts controlled in turn by his ego, and we hate him for it. He donates a weeks wage to a sick child and suddenly he's a superhero. This modest act creates with it an influx of parroting social media commentators to come forth with great adulation, usually reserved for dying soldiers. But when we certify them improper, we get sanctimonious phrases like - "He's gone down in my estimation".

When money is either destroyed or squandered, we feel distraught, We do so because it is like they are burning our dreams and desires "Imagine what I could do with that". Yet, what somebody chooses to do with their money, really has nothing to do with us. Our self importance over somebody else's business is sickening. Ronnie has given us an abundance of joy over the years, with his genius comes madness, as it always does. So the argument that fans paid money and should have been duly rewarded with the 147 is moot. As a music fan, this reminds me of some of the enigmas I have watched live over time. They can arrive late, or not turn up at all. The next week, they reveal their unbridled genius and you excuse them, this is what you invested your interest in. On the contrary, if you spend good money on Metallica, you will always get value for money, because they provide pyrotechnics. So you are responsible for which artist you would prefer to see. If you pay to watch Shaun Murphy, then expect ultimate professionalism and robotic personality, you won't be disappointed. If you pay to watch an unpredictable enigma, then expect unpredictable enigmatic things.

By the way, what a masterstroke by Hearn to change his viewpoint today. Initially, it was no surprise to hear his condemnation. I doubt a man motivated by money would understand the artistic merit of another man forfeiting cash to make a point, that is not a language he understands. However, I think he realised last night that he was losing the battle. He has tried to turn the tables today with backhanded compliments and instead put the focus on the headlines Ronnie has made for snooker, which is a canny move.

Ultimately, we forgive geniuses when the dust settles and we understand it was all in the name of entertainment. Alex Higgins has been forgiven of nearly everything he ever did. Geniuses are rightly excused in the end. It also shows us how spurious our personal offence to said incidents are.
    Hatcher he wasn't holding a mirror up to us, no one in the whole place was bothered about how much money was available for the maxi, they just wanted to see one of the great achievements that a snooker player can do. Oh no wait there was one person bothered about the money ,Ronnie Osullivan, he's the one that was obsessed by how much, he's the one that asked repeatedly how much, even though the ref had told him, he's the one that was laughing about what he was about to do,I bet the crowd would of had a whip round to give him more money to do the maxi, so if your going to point fingers at who did what, make sure you point them in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X