X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by belfast141 View Post
    Well as stated on the WPBSA website a player has to play to the best of their ability..... todays antics from Ronnie is a clear breach of that surely?
    Not even nearly a breach. He finished on the wrong side of the last red, meaning the last black would have been far less of a certainty than the easy pink to middle.

Leave a comment:

• MrRottweiler
    replied
    It's a very poor show for Ronnie to do this and it makes him look slightly foolish. I would always stand up for a player I think is making a valid statement but this is grossly offensive to the game and also the Welsh Open. There are plenty of snooker players (and minimum wage workers) who would love a 10k payday and he has to accept they are more common these days so it's not financially possible to offer such large sums. If he's so good he can choose not to make one how is that helping the argument that the reward for a maximum should be higher? If anything he's reinforcing the fact that they are almost guranteed these days so the reward has to be reduced. I'm sure it's not just about what the sport can afford to pay but also a reflection of how common they are now compared to 20 years ago.

Like I've said before I like Ronnie and think he's an amazing force in the game and a complex character but sometimes when he hits the headlines like this I just wish he would stop being so selfish and think about his actions. It's all about him because he knows he is the most capable of knocking the maximums so it's not in the least bit genuine either which makes it worse. I'm sure there are other aspects he could be highlighting that would help the players out. Costs for travel and accomodation for example. He should be called in for a meeting with the bosses about this but I doubt he will be. If it was Mark Allen though....

There is also the big question about how the bookmakers are going to view this because regardless of his move costing them a tonne of money or saving them from forking it out they will be concerned he played like this and it asks the question about motives and casts doubt of his future matches.

A sad day for Snooker and Ronnie and maybe what the game needs the most is for the day to arrive when he announces he's realised he can win more at 9ball and retires from Snooker to move to the US.
    Last edited by MrRottweiler; 15 February 2016, 09:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scottley
    replied
    Originally Posted by armstm View Post
    Ronnie is upset with Matt balme

If he had hit the maxi he would only be 115k down.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
    The guy is remarkable for sure. I salute his actions totally. He is the one to decide what he does no one else, let alone the 'paying' spectators. He's got the game by the dogs danglies!!!
    I think that his refusal of the Max is right up there in terms of ability and entertainment. He is the boss! Like him or loathe him he is box office for anything he does. Oh and by the way...In case anyone missed it...He won!
    He doesn't have a living without those paying spectators you think he should just ignore.

Leave a comment:

• armstm
    replied
    Ronnie is upset with Matt balme

Leave a comment:

• belfast141
    replied
    Well as stated on the WPBSA website a player has to play to the best of their ability..... todays antics from Ronnie is a clear breach of that surely? dont start us Belfast ones in a argument over betting....... we will go Higgy on yas lol lol

;-)

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    i emailed them and asked about my bet , its with William hill so lets see what happens eh
    I might try that in the grand national, my jockey refused to jump the last fence

Leave a comment:

• belfast141
    replied
    i emailed them and asked about my bet , its with William hill so lets see what happens eh

Leave a comment:

• The Statman
    replied
    i have money on a 147 being hit in the tournament.. its not life changing cash... its only a few quid...... but whats the point in ppl bettin on such things if players can just refuse 2 go 4 them willy-nilly ??? will email william hill and see what they say..... might give me my money back lol
    Worth asking. I understand that BetVictor did pay up for it.

Leave a comment:

• belfast141
    replied
    i have money on a 147 being hit in the tournament.. its not life changing cash... its only a few quid...... but whats the point in ppl bettin on such things if players can just refuse 2 go 4 them willy-nilly ??? will email william hill and see what they say..... might give me my money back lol

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    The guy is remarkable for sure. I salute his actions totally. He is the one to decide what he does no one else, let alone the 'paying' spectators. He's got the game by the dogs danglies!!!
    I think that his refusal of the Max is right up there in terms of ability and entertainment. He is the boss! Like him or loathe him he is box office for anything he does. Oh and by the way...In case anyone missed it...He won!
    Spot on bluey

Leave a comment:

• tomperty
    replied
    Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
    smacked arse spoilt brat are the words that spring to mind....

what about the punters who bet on a 147 in the match or tournament?
    BetVictor actually paid out the people who bet on there being a maximum in the tournament! They paid out bets on there being a 147 in the whole tournament at 11/10 and in that specific match which was 66/1.

Leave a comment:

• andy carson
    replied
    whats it like to see through another mans eyeballs?

Leave a comment:

• inevermissblue
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    Out of interest, how does the prize for a 147 compare with what you get for a 9-dart finish in darts? Does that also vary by tournament?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X