Masters Trophy To Be Renamed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters Trophy To Be Renamed

The Masters Trophy, will be renamed The Paul Hunter Trophy from 2017 to mark the 10th anniversary of Paul's Death In October, The tournament will still be known as the Masters, it will be just the Trophy that will be renamed, In 2013 The PDC World Darts Trophy was renamed The Sid Wadell Trophy and they had a new trophy designed for the winner, I wonder if they design a new Trophy for The Masters with Paul Hunter's Name on it, if so what will happen to the Current Trophy.
    Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

I saw this announcement, it's long overdue. I doubt they'll design a new trophy as there isn't anything about the current one that would make it no longer fit with the name. That said if they did I'd expect the current one to end up in a sporting museum somewhere or in Barry Hearn's front room. A nice gesture would be to give it to Paul's family or sell it and donate the proceeds to the foundation in his namesake.

Comment

Masters Trophy To Be Renamed

completely agree with what's been said above but in a way I hope they keep the trophy the same cos I think it's a relly nice looking trophy

Comment

Good, ten years too late IMHO.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Agreed, I never understood why they didn't do this at the time - the only argument I saw against it was "Well, Hendry won more Masters than anyone, so it would hardly be fair" - which was ludicrous given Hendry had been given the original trophy, had every other record in the universe to keep him company and the added bonus of not being dead.

Comment

I imagine Hunter would have smashed Hendry's record. Ronnie has already equalled it and had far longer than Paul.

Such a loss to snooker, he could have been one of the best. Don't think he would have been up there with O Sullivan and Hendry but on the next rung down, definitely had a few world champions in him and like I say I think he would have won a few more Masters and got the record.

Very pleased by this announcement, one of my favourite players ever.

Comment

he COULD have won the World Championship, but that is different to saying he WOULD have, who knows? May have had the talent but he bottled that SF against Doherty, and no one knows if he'd have held it together at the crucial moment over the longer format.

Comment

I think its a nice gesture.

Comment

Working...
                X