No announcement yet.

World Open 2016 - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another one-sided match, but it was still good viewing. A superb performance from Perry, I can't remember him ever making three centuries in a row before. He has every chance in the final if he plays like this. :smile:

Comment

I know that it's a cliché and I know that Perry is know for his accurate positional play but he really was landing the cue ball on a sixpence there.
      6-2 and he won 6 frames in one visit: breaks of 70,63,132,102,120 and 91. Robertson won the other two with breaks of 78 and 76.

Comment

Very tough to play against.

Kept Robbo off the table for long periods and certainly punished him for not taking what few chances he had.

Nice to watch him playing so solid.
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Awesome standard of matchplay snooker from Perry. A real pleasure to watch. Silky smooth after the break and never looked like missing. Perfect rhythm.

Comment

Best ever seen him play.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
              Yet another one-sided match, but it was still good viewing. A superb performance from Perry, I can't remember him ever making three centuries in a row before. He has every chance in the final if he plays like this. :smile:
              and went close to make it 4 in row which is I thought had been done only by 3 players tho the page at snooker.org states only 2 (I was thinking Robbo did it as well):

Four consecutive century breaks were first compiled in a major tournament by John Higgins: 103, 104, 138 and 128, in Preston, England on Sun 16th October 2005. He achieved the feat in the final of the 2005 Grand Prix, against Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Shaun Murphy (England) equalled the feat in the 2007 Welsh Open, Feb 14 2007, in Newport Centre, Wales. He beat Jamie Cope 5-0 in the second round and won the first four frames with 135, 110, 102 and 101.

What's your take on the final Odrl?
              Last edited by motorhead; 30 July 2016, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                Best ever seen him play.
                A late starter Jim
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I hope that wasn't Perry's 'final' and he can reproduce in the final for real. Nothing against Carter, but would like to see Perry win it.

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                    I hope that wasn't Perry's 'final' and he can reproduce in the final for real. Nothing against Carter, but would like to see Perry win it.
                    Lovely bloke who puts work into his game. Deserves one. He's much underated as a player. There's a nice evenness to his play, a kind of neutral. He doesn't overegg any one side of his game. Balanced.

Comment

So, just the final remains... Who are we going for?

Judging by today's performance from both players, Perry has to start favourite. He played almost perfect snooker in a large part of his match against Robertson, at one point making three centuries in a row, and it could have been four if there had been enough points on the table in that last frame. I suppose Carter is the bigger name, as the former world number 2 and the winner of three major ranking titles in the past, but it's worth remembering that Perry is the higher seed here, quite comfortably so. He is playing the best snooker of his career these days, at the age of almost 42, and it would be nice to see him finally win a major ranking title. He came extremely close at the Wuxi Classic two years ago, just losing 10-9 to Robertson in the final. He did go on to win the PTC Finals later that season, but it would be a tremendous shame if a best-of-7 event ended up being the biggest tournament he ever won...

It's been a while since Carter last contested a big final such as this one, more than three years in fact. A lot has happened to him since then, and it's to his great credit that he has managed to climb back towards the top of the game. He wasn't really tested against Un-Nooh today, and the same against Higgins yesterday, but he played well enough to take advantage of his opponents' mistakes and win comfortably. He showed great fight to win the last three frames against Daniel Wells from 4-2 down, and I'm sure he will give it his all again tomorrow...

This will actually be the fourth time these two meet in a long match. The 2008 WC semi-final is their most memorable match to date, and probably the biggest match of their career at the time. The reward was a crack at Ronnie O'Sullivan in a World final, and it was Carter who prevailed 17-15. Of course he went on to beat Perry in the WC again, 13-11 in 2010, after letting a big lead slip away earlier in the match. I think Perry is a better player than he was back then, while Carter is slowly rediscovering his best form, but I don't think he is quite there yet. It should be a fairly open and high-scoring game, and probably easy to watch. The time zone unfortunately makes the midnight finish impossible, so I will have to settle for some afternoon drama, and hopefully a 10-9 either way. But my prediction is for Perry to win 10-8. :smile:

Comment

World Open 2016 - Discussion

good review of the finalists
                        hope for a cracker of a match that we will remember and talk about for a long time
                        I have the alarm and record set (record just in case )
                        See you all in the morning :biggrin:
                        Last edited by DeanH; 30 July 2016, 08:59 PM.
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Arrrgghhh, we've had one-sided matches all week, and it looks like this final will be more of the same. I thought it would be close after the nervy and scrappy start this morning, but Perry's standard has stayed the same while Carter has now raised his game. :smile:

Comment

That's better from Perry. He has given himself a decent chance now, but he could do with winning the next frame as well, to prevent Carter from getting within a frame of victory.

I guess Perry knows Carter has lost matches like this before... He himself trailed him 10-6 in their World Championship match in 2010, before taking an 11-10 lead in the final session, so things can turn around...

Comment

Great win Ali!! Thought he would get it, very happy for him! Keeps beating Joe in BO19 format.
                              Last edited by motorhead; 31 July 2016, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X