English Open 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    I think he was more trying to let out some nervous energy than celebrating, best to let it out between shots than on the shot. I could be wrong though.
    Whatever it was he did it, pleased for the guy.... no one saw him coming

Comment

• This was a very enjoyable final. Lovely start from Trump in the evening session to put the pressure on, but Liang responded superbly with a big break of his own, then had those three big flukes to pull away again. I guess the key moment was that clearance from behind in the 14th frame, a fantastic break that will probably end up being one of the most memorable breaks of the season. The clearance in the last frame wasn't too bad either. :smile:

I guess anyone who watched the UK Championship last season pretty much knew how Liang would react after winning. He certainly is a character and can't ever be accused of being emotionless, as people often perceive the players from China and Asia in general. I think the first tournament most of us saw him play in was the 2008 World Championship, and I remember his celebration when he potted match ball against Joe Swail in the 2nd round, only for Swail to then get the snooker and prolong the match. Liang learnt nothing from that, as he did exactly the same thing the next time he potted match ball. But today he took it to a new level, celebrating two pots in advance. :wink: Imagine if he missed that brown... :smile:

I've had a soft spot for Liang ever since he emerged on the scene, so I'm happy to see him finally win a big title. I won't call it a major, but that's just me and my hate of the short format. :smile:

As for Trump, obviously you can't win them all... He didn't get any luck when he needed it tonight, and in the end he just missed a few too many. It's tough to expect someone to play snooker every day for two weeks and not have his standard drop a little, especially with a big travel in between. It's nice to see him in another final though, and I thought he was very gracious in defeat and spoke very well.

All in all, it was another decent week of snooker, especially the weekend when the matches got longer. And on that note, looking forward to the International Championship in a week's time. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
        This is purely your own personal perception as a fan of his, and you'll hear exactly the same from other fans of othere players. But luck is just random chance and does not favour one person over another, it can't, it's simply down to the laws of probability and it will always even itself out, given time. It's been proven time and time again that we perceive what we want to believe and subconsciously disregard what we don't.

-
        We often tend to remember the flukes and bad contacts at the end of the match, but what happens in the beginning is often forgotten after the match.
        ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
        "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Congratulations to Liang Wenbo. It´s been long time coming, and 2 - 3 years ago I didn´t really expect him to fullfill the expectations.
          ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
          "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            Don't worry JP has already put a tweet yesterday that both finalists playing with his cues
            Ahaha missed that one
            Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              Don't worry JP has already put a tweet yesterday that both finalists playing with his cues
              I must miss all the tweets he puts out about Jimmy down the club who can't make a ten break with one of his ultimates
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                i must miss all the tweets he puts out about jimmy down the club who can't make a ten break with one of his ultimates
                lol
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  I must miss all the tweets he puts out about Jimmy down the club who can't make a ten break with one of his ultimates
                  Loooooooools..... love it

Comment

• I had a great weekend in Manchester. And despite watching the final with a total hangover because I enjoyed myself too much in the hotel post-semis, I had a great time.

Saw three decent matches. Quite enjoyed the venue, despite there being nobody there and the Trafford Centre is pretty amazing. I played on the World's Biggest Pac-Man machine.

If I didn't have the aforementioned hangover, I might've gone to Sea World the Sunday morning, as well...

Comment

Working...
                    X