No announcement yet.

2016 China Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much you can do against that performance, Ton Ton Ton! What a closer out that man is.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

That was a very enjoyable final, especially the second session. It was a bit scrappy this morning, but once Bingham found his form he pushed Higgins to play well as well. There were a couple of breaks made from tricky positions this afternoon, and of course Higgins finishing with three centuries was tremendous and you can't really ask for more. I don't think I've ever seen him this happy in a victory ceremony before. :smile:

All in all, it was a decent tournament. As was mentioned, the camera angle wasn't really ideal, and the arena in general didn't really seem that great for a snooker event. The snooker itself was a little underwhelming in the first few days, but the last two days were great entertainment. It's a shame we won't be seeing the event with this format next year, but an additional ranking event with slightly longer matches is always welcome. :smile:

So, more best-of-7 filler in the next couple of weeks... I may watch some of it, but it will be difficult to adjust to this dumbed-down form of snooker again. Looking forward to the UK Championship at the end of the month though. :smile:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
        That was a very enjoyable final, especially the second session. It was a bit scrappy this morning, but once Bingham found his form he pushed Higgins to play well as well. There were a couple of breaks made from tricky positions this afternoon, and of course Higgins finishing with three centuries was tremendous and you can't really ask for more. I don't think I've ever seen him this happy in a victory ceremony before. :smile:

All in all, it was a decent tournament. As was mentioned, the camera angle wasn't really ideal, and the arena in general didn't really seem that great for a snooker event. The snooker itself was a little underwhelming in the first few days, but the last two days were great entertainment. It's a shame we won't be seeing the event with this format next year, but an additional ranking event with slightly longer matches is always welcome. :smile:

So, more best-of-7 filler in the next couple of weeks... I may watch some of it, but it will be difficult to adjust to this dumbed-down form of snooker again. Looking forward to the UK Championship at the end of the month though. :smile:
        Tbh the term 'dumbed-down form of snooker' makes me chuckle a bit,like snooker over short or longer matches is intellectually rigorous and pro's tuck into Tolstoy at their hotel after their canteen dinner

Comment

Sorry, my vocabulary is a little lacking in English, so I can't think of a better way to put it. :smile:

Comment

Sorry, my vocabulary is a little lacking in English, so I can't think of a better way to put it. :smile:
            Well the best I can come up with is 'compact','instant' or 'disposable' but that would probably raise an eyebrow among the less discerning readers so come up with something of your own or stick with dumbed-down,I'll just chuckle each time anyway,peace.

Comment

Snooker-lite?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                Snooker-lite?
                Thumbs up here,nice one :-)

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                  Snooker-lite?
                  I always considered 6-Reds as snooker-lite

BO7 "short format"
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Just watched the final on catch up...
                    Higgins played great and will be an inspiration to so many other players on the tour.
                    Great tournament and probably the best presented tournament I've ever seen.
                    Good times are ahead of us! :snooker:
                    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                    National Snooker Expo
                    25-27 October 2019
                    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I'm with you on dumbed-down simply because the reasons are stupid. Also "Butchered" and "*******ised" though that may be considered inapppropriate language on here. I have no objection to shorter matches as part of a varied calendar, but the way they've tried to pass it off as fan service is insulting: if everyone is so desperate to see a result in one session, why does the World Championship sell out every year?

Still, Champion of Champions starts tomorrow, and it's a tournament I've always enjoyed

Comment

Great performance from Higgins in the semi-finals and of course the final. Wouldn't have thought before the tournament that he would be able to play sooo good. But I'm glad to be proven wrong. Hopefully he can keep this level up.

Comment

Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                          I'm with you on dumbed-down simply because the reasons are stupid. Also "Butchered" and "*******ised" though that may be considered inapppropriate language on here. I have no objection to shorter matches as part of a varied calendar, but the way they've tried to pass it off as fan service is insulting: if everyone is so desperate to see a result in one session, why does the World Championship sell out every year?

Still, Champion of Champions starts tomorrow, and it's a tournament I've always enjoyed
                          Just my assertion but I think this angle is a little overrated,people simply associate snooker with the Crucible and don't have a great deal of knowledge or recollection of tournaments outside of Sheffield.

A good example is the 2nd biggest tournament in the calendar the UK Championship,how many people off the top of their head can reel off the finalists of this tournament over the last ten years or a good number of semi's and quarter finals ? I certainly can't and I'd wager I'm in a very low tier of the population as keen on the game,same with the Masters too but perhaps not quite as striking.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
                            Just my assertion but I think this angle is a little overrated,people simply associate snooker with the Crucible and don't have a great deal of knowledge or recollection of tournaments outside of Sheffield.

A good example is the 2nd biggest tournament in the calendar the UK Championship,how many people off the top of their head can reel off the finalists of this tournament over the last ten years or a good number of semi's and quarter finals ? I certainly can't and I'd wager I'm in a very low tier of the population as keen on the game,same with the Masters too but perhaps not quite as striking.
                            I can't even do this for the worlds

2016 Selby - Ding
                            2015 Bingham - Murphy
                            2014 - Selby - O'Sullivan
                            2013 - fog
                            2012 - fog
                            and so on

Comment

O'Sullivan beat Hawkins and Carter respectively. :smile:

I'm pretty sure I can tell you the finalists of any major tournament in the last ten years, that's too easy. Getting all the scorelines correct would be a better challenge. :smile:

Comment

Jeez I couldn't even get as far as Jonny, and I'm not joking, I didn't remember Bingham beat Murphy.
                                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                                X