No announcement yet.

2016 China Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what happened in the matches this morning? There is no coverage on motorsport atm but the scores on worldsnooker seem to indicate the matches are unfinished?

Comment

Originally Posted by P.Smith View Post
      So what happened in the matches this morning? There is no coverage on motorsport atm but the scores on worldsnooker seem to indicate the matches are unfinished?
      Bingham and Murphy are through.
      Haven't seen much from the Bingham-Match, but he was always in the lead. And from what I saw Liang didn't play very well. In the end it was a clear 6-2 for Stuart.

Murphy grabbed an early lead, 4-1 I think. Perry was able to level it again at 4-4, but then Murphy went on to win the last two frames and securing a 6-4 victory.

Comment

Ok. Thanks a lot for the info.

Liang must be one of the more frustrating players to watch on the circuit. So much talent and yet one of the most erratic I have seen.

Comment

Well, three of my predicted semi-finalists are already out. :smile:

The snooker hasn't been all that great in this tournament so far, lots of suspect performances from what are supposed to be the very best players in the world. Credit to Holt though for another great victory on the big stage. The match was quite scrappy, but his break in the decider was class.

Mike Hallett was in fine form today as well. He had spent a decade convincing viewers that the 3 misses rule had recently changed, and today he invented a "5-second rule" for balls on the edge of the pocket to be replaced in case they fall in. Just made it up. :smile:

Comment

So what have we got for tomorrow?

Mark Selby vs. Mark Allen
            Mark Selby usually would be the favorite against Mark Allen, but the guy from Northern Ireland should be rested very well. Selby didn't look great, but still pretty good against Anthony McGill though and I think the world number one will find a way to win this match as well.

John Higgins vs. Allister Carter
            Higgins vs. Carter for me is a tough match to call. Didn't see much of Higgins today, but my feeling is that right now he has some kind of limit. He just doesn't play well enough by his standard. I wouldn't exclude the possibility that he will find a better level for a period again (though I'm very sure he'll never again play at his best), but I think not yet. So I'll say Ali will make it to the semi-final here.

Shaun Murphy vs. Marco Fu
            Interestingly Marco Fu won their last two duels at the two last UK Championships, both which were Best-of-11-matches as the one tomorrow. But Fu's season to date was pretty poor. And from what I saw in his win over Ding he profited from weak play by his chinese opponent. Haven't seen Murphy, but his form seemed to increase lately, whatever you will make from this since he has mostly been inconsistent anyway. I see Murphy as the winner here.

Michael Holt vs. Stuart Bingham
            Holt is probably in the form of his life making quarterfinals at the Shanghai Masters as well as the International Championship, beating O'Sullivan at both tournaments and losing narrowly to two great players. The first one was Ding and the other, well, Stuart Bingham. Stuart also plays great the last weeks and I see him get past Holty.

Comment

It should be a good day. I'm particularly looking forward to Selby-Allen, it always seems to be a great match when they play each other. All four of their best-of-11 matches have gone 6-5, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a similar scoreline tomorrow. Selby won both of their matches at the Masters, while Allen won the two times they played in China, both in major semi-finals. Allen actually came from 5-2 behind in both of those matches, very rare for Selby to throw away a lead like that. I didn't see much of Allen's match, while Selby had it pretty easy against an out-of-sorts McGill. It is time for Selby to finally lose? I will go for Allen to win 6-5.

The other three matches are all fairly interesting in their own right. Carter has beaten Higgins in two major tournaments this season, so he clearly has the upper hand against him at the moment, although traditionally Higgins has much the better record. I think Carter's demeanor in his match against Trump was pretty poor, he was getting upset by every little thing, and I think an experienced opponent like Higgins will exploit that if it happens again. I will go for Higgins to win 6-3.

I too was unimpressed by Fu's win over Ding, so I will go with Murphy as well, 6-4. They have played a lot in recent years, with slight advantage to Murphy, but as you say, Fu won the last two. That UK win in 2014 was particularly memorable, as Murphy only needed the yellow to win, but somehow managed to snooker himself behind the blue when playing position from black to yellow, and Fu cleared up to win on the black. Murphy finds a lot of stupid ways to lose matches sometimes, but to be fair, so does Fu. :smile: They are certainly capable of giving us a great match if they play well though, so I'm hoping for the best.

I quite like Holt's chances for some reason... Both players won quite a scrappy game in the 1st round, but I was impressed by Holt's break in the decider. He has been playing surprisingly well under pressure recently, and I think he may be ready to take the next step. I'm sure Bingham would be disappointed to lose this one, but I think he will need to raise his game to avoid that. I suspect it will be slightly scrappy, and I will go for Holt to win 6-5. :smile:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                Mike Hallett was in fine form today as well. He had spent a decade convincing viewers that the 3 misses rule had recently changed, and today he invented a "5-second rule" for balls on the edge of the pocket to be replaced in case they fall in. Just made it up. :smile:
                I'm sure it's as real in his own little world as all the other tripe he comes out with.

-
                The fast and the furious,
                The slow and labourious,
                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

A fantastic match this morning, I've only just finished watching it. Two classic frames, the fourth one when Allen got the snooker to force the re-spotted black, and of course the decider and the drama when Selby was clearing up to win by a point on the black. What a clearance that would have been. :smile: And the rest of the match was mostly centuries. :smile: Well played to Mark Allen, should be a nice semi-final with Higgins over two sessions.

Now out for lunch, so I will be catching up with the afternoon matches a little later. :smile:

Comment

Sounds exciting odrl , going to watch it on YouTube later

Comment

Quite a strange decision by the referee in the frame before. Gave a miss at an attempt of Michael Holt, when he had to play colour. Bingham took the miss option and when Holt had his next try, which failed again, there wasn't given a miss anymore. I would think that the very same shot is either a miss or it isn't.

Comment

I didn't see it, but did it mean he would have needed anookers? Hence no miss called. Or maybe it was a closer attempt - they can use their discretion

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                          Quite a strange decision by the referee in the frame before. Gave a miss at an attempt of Michael Holt, when he had to play colour. Bingham took the miss option and when Holt had his next try, which failed again, there wasn't given a miss anymore. I would think that the very same shot is either a miss or it isn't.
                          Sounds like a referee from local league getting his chance with the pro's! Lol.
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Dan-cat View Post
                            I didn't see it, but did it mean he would have needed anookers? Hence no miss called. Or maybe it was a closer attempt - they can use their discretion
                            No, he didn't need any snookers. Was quite in the beginning of the frame. And the outcome was nearly the same as on the first try.
                            After the first try there was a discussion between the players and the referee. Cause Holt didn't think that miss rule applied here. While Bingham obviously told him there was a shot, with which it was possible to hit a colour.

Comment

I'm loving this tournament. £50k guaranteed for the semis!!! Chunky dough.

Now if they could just fix the wobbly overhead camera... sheesh. Doing my nut in.

Comment

What a gift from Holt with a 22-0 ? lead in the last frame,cost him 20 grand.
                                Have I just watched that match in an alternate universe ? its showing the final frame score as Bingham winning 79-0.

Comment

Working...
                                X