2016 Scottish Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Scottish Open

Starts today so I though I just start a thread, though general interest in this tournament is probably not so high, myself included. And to a lesser extent also the players.
    The two World Championship finalists Mark Selby and Ding Junhui prefered to take a rest. So the way to the title is definitely already a bit easier. Also Martin Gould withdrew.

The first four rounds are unfortunately in the Best-of-7-format. So it will be really tough to say who will come through. Maybe another surprise winner as in Northern Ireland a few weeks ago? Though the field there was a bit weaker with more of the top players opting not to play in Belfast. With Zhou Yuelong vs. Stephen Maguire, Kyren Wilson vs. Jamie Jones, Alan McManus vs. John Higgins (a reprise of this years quarterfinal at the World Championship that ended with a surprise) and Ali Carter vs. Thepchaiya Un-Nooh there already a few interesting first-round-duels though.

Here's the link to the draw:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_S...Open_(snooker)

It's difficult, nearly tedious to talk about who will make it to the quarterfinals here. There will definitely be some surprises along the way and with Best-of-7 they are hard to call.
    Still it's kind of fun, so here my guesses:

Section 1: Stuart Bingham is the favorite here. He should fancy his chances to get through to the round of the last eight. Though in the second round he could again meet Yu Delu. For the third times in three weeks. Yu won at the UK Championship (6-4), but Bingham prevailed last week in the qualifiers for the German Masters (5-3).

Section 2: Liang Wenbo is here. As is Barry Hawkins. And Matthew Stevens who reached the fourth round at the UK Championship.

Section 3: Maybe a chance for Neil Robertson to get back on track? He opens agsinst Thor Chuan Leong before playing (if he wins that is) the survivor of Gary Wilson vs. Allan Taylor. In the other half of this section there is Marco Fu. Though with Best-of-7 I can see Fu lose early. Maybe Liam Highfield who wasn't playing bad lately could take his place.

Section 4: The upper half here is quite packed for a 128 tableau. Fergal O'Brien, Zhou Yuelong and Stephen Maguire (who play each other as stated above), Michael Holt and Mark Williams are all here. And in the other half there is Shaun Murphy, who has a dangerous task in Zhao Xintong already in the first round.

Section 5: Judd Trump opens against Zhang Yong, could come against another chinese youngster Yan Bingtao in round 3. Down there is the duel between Kyren Wilson and Jamie Jones. If Trump loses early this part of the draw could be wide open.

Section 6: None of the really big names here. The favorites are Ali Carter and Joe Perry. But there are some traps in form of Chris Wakelin, David Gilbert, Anthony Hamilton or maybe Hossein Vafaei Ayouri. Who knows?

Section 7: On paper Mark Allen has a quite favorable draw to round 4 here. There he could meet Ronnie O'Sullivan, whose biggest obstacle before could be Ryan Day.

Section 8: John Higgins, despite his surprising loss in the German Masters qualifiers is the favorite here. He meets Alan McManus first and could play another countryman next in Scott Donaldson. Over there are also Dominic Dale, Luca Brecel and Ricky Walden.

Picks for the quarterfinals:
    Bingham - Hawkins
    Highfield - Murphy
    Trump - Carter
    O'Sullivan - Walden

Edit: Just saw there is also a thread in the "questions" forum. I thought a thread about the tournament was more fitting here, but of course you can close this one, if you feel that it's irrelevant in which subforum we discuss this tournament.
    Last edited by JimMalone; 12 December 2016, 09:57 AM.

Only 3 players have withdrawn, still will be an interestng tournament. Hopefully the young Chinese players will make some headway.

Comment

Monday lunchtime, a good crowd in

ah ha, see the Two-Marys are in
      they do love watching the snooker - good on 'em I say
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

they do love watching the snooker - good on 'em I say
        Indeed

And with my no-show job, if all goes well, I can enjoy some of the snooker this afternoon...

Comment

Just curious. Who's this?

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
            Just curious. Who's this?
            The 2 gothic looking girls in the front row...one of 'm has (very!) red hair.

Comment

Originally Posted by daffie View Post
              Thanks for the info.

Comment

Always think when i look at snooker audiences .............who out of them actually plays the game .
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Stream of this anywhere?

Comment

They was there during every session of the Northern Ireland championship, are they a couple? Wouldn't be surprised if they are on this forum. Good to see die-hards.

Comment

Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
                      They was there during every session of the Northern Ireland championship, are they a couple? Wouldn't be surprised if they are on this forum. Good to see die-hards.
                      Not sure if they're a couple. Die-hard snooker fans they certainly are. I've seen them many times over the past couple of years, I think UK and World Championship but maybe others as well.

Just like FRB...they're snooker wallpaper

(and I mean this in the nicest way possible)

Comment

Higgins looking like a 4-1 win over McManus. Too bad seeing Alan going home...very likebale guy!

Comment

Not sure if they're a couple. Die-hard snooker fans they certainly are. I've seen them many times over the past couple of years, I think UK and World Championship but maybe others as well.

Just like FRB...they're snooker wallpaper

(and I mean this in the nicest way possible)
                          I believe they met on a "social media site" a few years ago, same love of snooker
                          started going to the CoC and have expanded recently to England, UK, and now Scotland
                          Don't think they are on TSF.

unless they are Splash and Hello Mr ... ?
                          :biggrin:
                          Last edited by DeanH; 12 December 2016, 02:46 PM.
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I believe they met on a "social media site" a few years ago, same love of snooker
                            started going to the CoC and have expanded recently to England, UK, and now Scotland

Be nice if they was, saving all the arguments for afterwards

Comment

You would be wrong - but not posted for a long time!
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X