No announcement yet.

2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i agree he did well but he did bend a couple of times where he hesitated then missed a routine shot. I can think of a black cut he missed and a medium red he missed I think at 15-13 and his final shot, the blue. Selby is just v.hard to beat and the pressure ratchets up and most people including Ronnie have wilted.
    Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    Ding was beaten by a brilliant Selby but he never broke, he stayed strong through the whole match, even the session he lost 6-2 featured two excellent frame winning breaks. So Ding should be back in the semi-finals again next year or the year after and perhaps win the whole tournament.

Selby looks to be a strong favourite for the final, Higgins' great form from early in the tournament seemed to desert him and he was lucky Hawkins played even worse. However Higgins is an all time great, he had the easier semifinal by quite a margin and he knows how to play exceptionally well in this environment. So perhaps he can recapture his form against Allen for at least a while in the final and push Selby. I see the range of possibly results being from a close Selby win to a large Selby win, I just don't think Higgins has a real chance of winning unless Selby plays a long way below his best, along way below the level he displayed in the semifinal.
    Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

Comment

• Ding's shot selection let him down half a dozen times. That's about the only difference I can see. He took his safety game to a new level.

Comment

• There were some classics between Higgins and Selby over the years.
        My favourite snooker match of all times is when they played at 2011 World championships. Selby had 5 centuries and at least as many 50+ breaks and it still wasn't enough.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ben04uk View Post
          Obviously not a real snooker fan then. You clearly wouldn't have liked snooker in the 70's or 80s either.
          Not a real snooker fan like me, na na nana na.

Originally Posted by Ben04uk View Post
          Not watch the World Final? Are you listening to what you are saying?
          I've done it before, didn't watch Ebdon win his or Dott win his either. There will be no clash of styles or personalities as both play the same game and have the personality of a wardrobe.

Comment

• Well...My favorite 2 players battling it out later on. Should be good!

Either way...I can't loose.

:snooker:

Comment

• Selby looking up at his wife and co every 3 minutes really stirs my boat, darn shame Ronnie let ding beat him, cause I think he'd of put Selby to bed real fast in the 1 table semi set up..Now have another 4 sessions of looking at him moaning and smiling at the "lovely Vicky" ugh ugh ugh
              Blown away

Comment

• Selby has been my favorite player for 10 years and his COME ONE yesterday was already one of my favorite moments of him as a fan...but seeing Ronnie's sycophants seethe has rocketed that moment straight to the top.

People acting like robots when they win World Championships is what holds snooker back not acts of passion. It showed how much Selby wanted to win, and how many emotions, hormones and thoughts are boiling inside you in such critical moments.

Robertson did the same exact thing against Fu in a match he eventually lost but there was half the outrage. Why? Because he didn't beat Ronnie in a World final. Since 2014 the hate for Selby has been multiplied tenfold, and Ronnie's inability to do much at the crucible since then just re-enforces that.

Selby playing smart bothers them, Selby playing attacking bothers them, watching at his box bothers them, his hair, Selby could save 5 kids from a burning building and the response to that would probably be ''Yes, but that ****** didn't stop the war in Syria so screw him''.

Comment

• I like Selby but as John Higgins is my favourite player I will be cheering him on. I'm just praying John brings his best game to the table because if he doesn't Mark Selby could quickly take an early lead which gets bigger and bigger. Even though I want John to win I also want it to go the distance.

Trying to get all my chores done now so I can savour every second of the next four sessions.
                  www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

• I prefer John Higgins' game so would prefer him to wn, but will be happy so long as it's a good match like Selby-Ding this year. I also wonder if Higgins drawing level with O'Sullivan will spur Ronnie on to pull ahead again.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                      I've done it before, didn't watch Ebdon win his or Dott win his either.
                      Yes, I was devastated when the final was Ebdon vs Dott - like when the Masters was Ding vs Fu, it felt like a waste. The World Championship is the highlight of my year and comes with a huge number of Proustian recollections and triggers.

To see the final contested by two players I can't stand watching was devastating(see also Hendry v Bond and Williams) so I only watched the final day last year and I feared Selby vs Hawkins was on the cards this year.

Thankfully I like Higgins and hopefully the rematch will be as good as their first meeting.

Comment

• Anyone think John could announce his retirement if he wins?
                        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

• Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                          Anyone think John could announce his retirement if he wins?
                          He was asked in a recent interview if he had anything on his bucket list and he mentioned always wanting to go to San Fransisco! Seems a bit a odd that a guy with pretty much all the resources he needs has yet to fulfil such an ordinary lifetime ambition..?
                          He may announce something, but retirement may not be it. :snooker:
                          "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                          National Snooker Expo
                          25-27 October 2019
                          http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                            Ding's shot selection let him down half a dozen times. That's about the only difference I can see. He took his safety game to a new level.
                            Was it his shot selection though? I think this was great as well. It's just that missed a few pots to much I think.

Comment

• Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                              There were some classics between Higgins and Selby over the years.
                              My favourite snooker match of all times is when they played at 2011 World championships. Selby had 5 centuries and at least as many 50+ breaks and it still wasn't enough.
                              Do you mean their 2009 match, when Higgins won 13-12? That one was a classic -- possibly the best match I've seen quality wise. Their 2007 match was the one that made me think Selby would one day be the best in the world. Of course Higgins won it in the end, ending with a quick flurry of big breaks, but I was amazed at the way Selby managed to grind his way back into the match after being about 12-4 down -- almost drawing level. I'd never seen any player boss Higgins the master tactician in safety exchanges before, just slowly clawing back frame after frame.

Comment

• Here we are then, only the World final remains...

I don't watch the World Championship in the hope that any particular player wins, my only hope is to see snooker played at its highest possible level and to see a couple of matches that might live in the memory as all-time classics. Unfortunately the draw often works out in such a way that the final can be a bit of an anti-climax, but I think we've avoided that danger on this occasion. I guess the dream final before the Championship would have been Selby-Trump, a match between the dominant player of the season and his nearest (though still distant) rival. Well, I think Selby-Higgins comes pretty damn close, and it should be a great finale to what has been an interesting season.

Whenever we talk about this pairing, we inevitably have to go back to the 2007 World final... I guess history will remember it as a final between two all-time greats, two players who will have won seven World titles between them after tomorrow, but of course things looked a little different ten years ago. It's funny if you think about it now, since 2007 isn't exactly ancient history, but at the time Higgins and Selby actually only had one World title between them. Selby in particular was a fairly unknown player on the big stage. He had reached a ranking final before, back when he was still a teenager, but he had a couple of fairly quiet seasons before 2007. He was basically a solid top32 player who was expected to eventually make some sort of breakthrough, but I don't think many people expected him to have the kind of career he has gone on to have. There isn't really a good comparison with anyone from this year's Championship, but I would say that Xiao Guodong perhaps comes closest. If I think about it now, I wasn't particularly excited before the 2007 final. The Championship as whole was a really good one that year, so I was afraid the final would be a little anti-climactic. I thought it would either be the favourite winning in unremarkable fashion, or a big underdog winning for the third year in a row (after Murphy and Dott), and the idea of another major shock didn't really appeal to me, because I wanted the top players to produce their best snooker in the most important tournament of the season. In all honesty, I wouldn't have given Selby the kind of credit he would have deserved had he won that year, I would have probably put it down to Higgins bottling it more than anything else. Back then I didn't really know what Selby was about. I'd seen him play lots of times, but he never really stood out to me as someone who had an exceptional safety game or was particularly strong mentally. He ended up playing a big part in that final though. It was Higgins who dominated the opening day, playing a superb second session, as he so often does, and pulling away to 12-4. But the following afternoon was a bit of a nightmare for him, a slow grind during which he seemed to spend most of the time in his chair looking half asleep, and Selby won all six frames that were played. It eventually went as close as 14-13 in the evening, but then Higgins found the extra gear he was looking for and pulled away to win. As I said, my expectations weren't all that high ahead of the match, but it ended up being one of the highlights of what I would regard as probably the most entertaining World Championship I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

Of course the climax of the Higgins-Selby rivalry came two years later, when they met in the quarter-finals of the 2009 World Championship, this time as two of the very best players in the world. Selby was already at the kind of level that meant there wasn't a clear favourite in the match, and of course it did end up going all the way. Selby opened with three centuries, Higgins responded with some one-visit snooker of his own to take a 4-3 lead, and after that there was almost never more than a frame between them. Some of the tactical stuff was brilliant as well, probably the best match I have ever seen in that regard. For me that match was the real final that year, and it remains one of my all-time favourite matches. Higgins had a slight edge at that point, but since then things have slowly shifted in Selby's favour. Understandable of course, as Higgins is one of the game's veterans at this point, whereas Selby has now reached his absolute prime. And what a prime it is... Six years as world number one, with a chance to win his third World title in four years. If he wins here, he will have won the three biggest ranking titles of the season, plus the China Open which may very well be the fourth biggest, and he has a final in Shanghai to go with it as well. It would be the biggest domination snooker has seen since Mark Williams in 2003, and bigger than O'Sullivan and Higgins have ever produced in single seasons. I think Selby's will to win is unrivalled at this point in time, even in the China Open he was really up for it, despite all of his recent success. His game is extremely solid in all departments, he can win one-visit scoring duels like he did against O'Sullivan in the UK final, or he can win slow and tactical grinds, without ever losing his patience or composure. I think the 2007 final finished well after 1am CET, and I don't think Selby would particularly mind a repeat of that, because he has shown time and time again that he is the king of midnight snooker. At the same time, he could easily find his top scoring game and pull away to win much earlier.

On the other hand, John Higgins really only has one gameplan. At his best, he plays a kind of "textbook" snooker, dominating the early safety in frames, then making strong scoring contributions whenever he gets in. Most of the best wins of his career have been very "clean", in the sense that the snooker was of a high quality and very enjoyable to watch. Sometimes the opponent has other ideas though, but Higgins has such a solid all round game that he can handle any situation, and his mental strength throughout his career has been on par with Selby's. I think most people are expecting him to lose this match. In all honesty, so do I, but how often does Higgins put in a poor performance in a major final? His win percentage is admirable, not just in finals, but converting semi-finals into titles as well. He lost 9-4 in the Scottish Open final this season, and I think that was the first time in many many years that he has lost by more than just a couple of frames. He will be up for this one, make no mistake. I just wonder how he will deal with being the underdog here, because in most finals he has played he was either a clear favourite or at least on par with his opponent, even during the last couple of years when his status in the game had declined a little. Also, does he have the stamina to put in a strong performance over two days? If he played like he did against Allen, I think he would be extremely tough to beat, but of course his performance against Hawkins was far away from that. I just hope that playing someone as strong as Selby will give him the boost of energy he needs to compete with him, because we know that Selby himself is pretty immune to fatigue these days, mental or physical...

For the record, my prediction is that Selby will win 18-14, but as always, I'm just hoping for an all-time classic and hopefully a midnight finish. :smile:

Comment

Working...
                                X