Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Championship format is weird

I don´t see the logical of the format of matches:

-In classic UK all matches were 2 session (best-of-17)

-When world championship starts in Crucible were 16 players, two first round were 3 best-of-25 in 3 sessions, semis were larger (best-of-35 and best-of-37 in five sessions) and more larger final in a best-of-47 or best-of-49 in three days

But now, this format is weird.

-First round is only a 2 session match (best-of-19), it seems more a UK round that a World Championship.
    -second round and quarter-finals are best-of-25 that is perfect for this round. But it is really weird that first and second round uses a big different format (3 sessions against 2)
    -On semis match become larger, best-of-33 in four sessions over 3 days. It is great too, it is perfect
    -But final is only one step more, that it is not logical against. Why is not a 6 session in 3 days? Semis last more time (3 days) against final "2 days), and it seems like (hey, we want to organize final in 4 sessions but like we don´t want that this match same format as semis, then instead 33, it is 35)

Just some thoughts about format. It is more logical:

-25/25/25/33/49

or

-19/19/19/25/33

or even

-19/19/25/25/33

I dont get why they dont finish ALL first round matches, then go on to the second round etc.... gets confusing sometimes

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
      I dont get why they dont finish ALL first round matches, then go on to the second round etc.... gets confusing sometimes
      This is another issue, the reason is that they want to reduce that both table has ending sessions on same time, because they can end early . Then they prefer in this Thursday put the final session in different sessions, in order that if finish early, other table are playing a full session

Comment

I have always thought it sightly unfair on that last semi final winner - especially if he has a late win has to go again the next day when the first semi final winner gets a extra time - to be fair to both players they should allow an extra day off give both a chance to sleep and recover - do some build up or something.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
          I have always thought it sightly unfair on that last semi final winner - especially if he has a late win has to go again the next day when the first semi final winner gets a extra time - to be fair to both players they should allow an extra day off give both a chance to sleep and recover - do some build up or something.
          have a third /fourth play off like they do in the football world cup, 2 sessions best of 19 played to a finish on the fri night / sat morning final starts sat evening finishes sunday night

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
            I thought the same , but after I remembered that previously they played larger finals, where a player must be on tension too many days

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
            have a third /fourth play off like they do in the football world cup, 2 sessions best of 19 played to a finish on the fri night / sat morning final starts sat evening finishes sunday night
            I don´t agree, I think third place playoff must be abolished in all sports. It is an absurd match

Anyway, it was played twice in Crucible in late 70s. It was played best-of-13 (6/7) in two mornings in the first two final days. If it was today, it should be played in Sunday Morning , previously to the final first two sessions, and in Mondya Morning, after two final sessions

Comment

Working...
            X