Regular Crucible punters (front row)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular Crucible punters (front row)

I've noticed from the TV that there is have been a few people appearing regularly in the same seat each year.

We have one who unfortunately for him is a Coventry City fan who appears to have every strip the club has ever worn. He will always be sat next to the players seat to the right of the theatre as the cameras look at the tables.

The other is what I call the Gordon Strachan lookalike who sits close to the divide between the two tables. He'll usually be well dressed in shirt and tie.

There were a couple of girls who had coloured hair last year and the year before I think. They seemed to be quite friendly with each other as I remember last year seeing one of them asleep on the others shoulder! I haven't seen them this year.

I love snooker but no way could I sit through 17 days in the same seat even if it was the front row. I assume somehow these people have first call every year on the tickets. I can only guess what it costs for a ticket for every session.

Am I the only one who, when the tournament starts, looks to see if there are regular faces in the audience?

Kellie Barker i think her name is. Is always there too. She's on the forum. I've seen statman too lol

Comment

The other is what I call the Gordon Strachan lookalike who sits close to the divide between the two tables. He'll usually be well dressed in shirt and tie.
      Do you mean this chap who often wears an Australia flag tie?

Edit: Just found this piece about the bloke I mean... https://www.theguardian.com/sport/sh...r-championship

Also, not in the Crucible itself - there's an old guy who looks like Uncle Albert who stands by the table when the BBC are doing their studio bits in the Winter Gardens. He oddly always wears a medal around his neck and I've noticed him there for years now.

Attached Files
      Last edited by richiet; 22 April 2017, 11:18 AM.
      Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

I've seen the Coventry fan there all the time yeah, maybe he is wealthy & bought the seat(s) if that's allowed?

Comment

Coventry fan (Brian somebody?) got to propose to his girlfriend (he actually has a girlfriend?) on the crucible stage about five years back. Apparently they still aren't married. Unsurprisingly he often shows up at the Ricoh Arena when there are tournaments there.

How does he always manage to bag the seat next to the players?
          Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

I noticed Uncle Albert the other day. I almost wished they went over and talked to him, but I bet he's heard it all before.

With the Australia flag tie, I think I meant the guy next to him. From a distance he reminds me of Gordon Strachan. Although I noticed there was a young boy in the Gordon Strachan lookalikes seat during the Higgins v Allen session earlier.

How does the Coventry fan manage it? I have seen him on both sides of the theatre, right next to the players. Either he's rich or knows somebody in the ticket office!

Comment

front row Brian has one of the historical season tickets I believe. and yes I've spotted him at the tpc at the ricoh too. Apparently I read somewhere he's goes to every away England football match too. must have a decent business that's his own for all that time off....

Comment

Not seen Joan renwick this year. She always used to sit between two tables on the line of the screen and at the front. She'd take two weeks off work to watch every session.

Comment

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
                  front row Brian has one of the historical season tickets I believe. and yes I've spotted him at the tpc at the ricoh too. Apparently I read somewhere he's goes to every away England football match too. must have a decent business that's his own for all that time off....
                  Can you please clarify what you mean by a "historical season ticket". I do not know anything about this.

Comment

afaik it was some sort of incentive in the early days to get the punters in. once issued I think 30 years was a figure I recall as the holder having first refusal on the seats year to year. I believe hearn is putting an end to it as the seats can make more £££ on general sale than to a season ticket holder. this is how I recall and understand it but someone else may have better info.

Comment

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
                      afaik it was some sort of incentive in the early days to get the punters in. once issued I think 30 years was a figure I recall as the holder having first refusal on the seats year to year. I believe hearn is putting an end to it as the seats can make more £££ on general sale than to a season ticket holder. this is how I recall and understand it but someone else may have better info.
                      Well this would explain how some people get the same seats every year. I go to the UK final in York and Brian seems to get a front-row seat there every year as well, although it does alternate unlike the Crucible where he is in the exact same seat every session.

Comment

I saw FRB at the Welsh Open Final (maybe semi as well, ?) but I think he was a bit miffed as he was not Front Row, but second as they put some chairs on the floor in front of him
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          I saw FRB at the Welsh Open Final (maybe semi as well, ?) but I think he was a bit miffed as he was not Front Row, but second as they put some chairs on the floor in front of him
                          Does anyone know if he knows he's called Front Row Brian?

Comment

In the Embassy days you could buy season tickets to either the whole 17 days or the second half. In 2005 the last year they sponsored it it was only 400 pounds to watch every session. if you had a season ticket then you were always offered one every year in the same seat. I used to have C37 on table one until I stopped going after 2009.

Now the cost is in the thousands but they still are offered them they usual send out the forms in the October.

The Gordon Strachan/Norman Collier lookalike is Brian Todd who owns his own business. he always stayed in Cutlers hotel next door to me and he snored so loudly you could hear it in my room.

On table two in the front row the large man with glasses is John Morgan a bank manager from Manchester>

Comment

Yep Brian Todd, he sponsors tom ford www.briantoddhomesltd.com/sponsorship.html, and I'll tell my mate to tell him to stop snoring lol ..

Comment

Working...
                              X